Rift s whos getting one?

Associate
My rift s keeps blacking out randomly, bloody annoying
Had this happen once on best saber but then on I expect you to die whilst playing yesterday it would do it every time I died. Having to restart the PC each death was a pain then it just stopped doing it and has worked fine since. Hopefully there will be a firmware update soon to fix the issues I've seen. Still love the thing though and have probably spent more time in virtual reality the last few days than I have in the real world lol

Soldato
Had this happen once on best saber but then on I expect you to die whilst playing yesterday it would do it every time I died. Having to restart the PC each death was a pain then it just stopped doing it and has worked fine since. Hopefully there will be a firmware update soon to fix the issues I've seen. Still love the thing though and have probably spent more time in virtual reality the last few days than I have in the real world lol

Some one on DCS forum had the same problem quote below.

*** Mine is Fixed ***
Apparently mine was in the headset connection.
I removed the faceplate, and pulled the connector out.
I then re-seated it firmly - got to really push it in till it locks in place.
I also unplugged and re-plugged my USB 3 and Display Port connector on the PC.

Soldato
So tried all the fixes I found, usb stuff and reconnecting the headset as well as updating all drivers I could find.
It lasted longer until I hit a black screen but it still happened about...an hour in?
Managed to get it going again reconnecting both the displayport and usb as well as restarting the oculus software.

Its annoying but hopefully a fix is on the way.

So only played Pavlov and Onward so far and I can see why people are being iffy with the tracking. Looking down the sights can be a bit annoying as trying to hold the sights to your face tends to lose tracking.
However using virtual stock helps quite a bit especially in pavlov.

Associate
So tried all the fixes I found, usb stuff and reconnecting the headset as well as updating all drivers I could find.
It lasted longer until I hit a black screen but it still happened about...an hour in?
Managed to get it going again reconnecting both the displayport and usb as well as restarting the oculus software.

Its annoying but hopefully a fix is on the way.

So only played Pavlov and Onward so far and I can see why people are being iffy with the tracking. Looking down the sights can be a bit annoying as trying to hold the sights to your face tends to lose tracking.
However using virtual stock helps quite a bit especially in pavlov.
they are working on a fix for the black screen but ive seen that restarting the oculus in the beta setting page twice in a row fixes the problem rather than restarting. Ive also seen that the onward dev team are working on a fix for inside out tracking that should be coming soon

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
After my "pink" alternative debacle from the rainforrest, finally got mine yesterday. Many thanks to OCUK for that.

Only tested with DCS last night, as frankly, it's not going to see much action elsewhere. My thoughts pretty much reflect what others have said.
Had a quick play with the hand controllers. Yes, they work. They'll probably just gather dust now as I can't really use them in conjunction with my HOTAS. All the same, they seem OK, and at least are included in the price, unlike when the CV1 was first released.

Setup was dead easy. Unplugged the CV1, plugged in the S, quick setup and we're ready to rock.
Visuals are clearly a step up, and as others have said, text and similar is much more legible. The only thing that confused me a little is how much better text looks in DCS when you're using zoom. Makes me wonder if when non-zoomed they use lower quality textures. Certainly does create a different feel to elements of the sim. I flew the Huey, Mig19, F18, F14 and Harrier to check them out. I think the most obvious and biggest improvement for myself was in the Harrier, whilst using the TPOD to identify targets at range for an AGM65 missile. MUCH easier to discern the target.

Frame rate seemed basically the same. Whereas I was previously getting a good 45fps, now it's 40fps. Just not a big deal.
Comfort seems better, at least out of the box.

The only real fly in ointment is the audio. What an utter disaster. Whoever signed off the solution included should be paraded in public such that we can throw tomatoes at them. The inbuilt are simply crap. MUCH worse than the CV1 solution.
Right now, I don't even have the "right" solution. The headband prevented me using either of the over the head cans that I have (a pair of Sennheisers and a pair of Musical Fidelity). The closest of the two were my HD600s, which with some yoga you could nearly mix. Problem was that it was a nearly. In the end, I used some old lightweight over the ear cans where I could put the headband behind me. Unfortunately, they also sound crap (if better than the inbuilt ones). The only positive note is that the S does have an audio jack out, making it pretty easy to plug in alternatives.
Frankly, the audio is so bad that if I didn't think that they would be a solution, I'd send the whole unit back.

As is, my expectation is that we'll find something that can hopefully at least compete with the CV1, in which case the S is a bit of a no brainer.
After all, we're taking about a unit that seems to have visuals at least on par, probably better than the Samsung Odyssey. The Pimax is probably better, but apparently runs like a dog. The HP Reverb "should" be better, as it's on paper specs look awesome. However, it's going to have something like 3 times as many pixels to deal with, which makes me wonder about the viability in games. The expected Vive Pro Eye will have eye tracking, but doesn't sound like it will have better visuals and will cost an eye watering level.
Taking into account the price of the S, it's brill. Just a shame that they couldn't have spent another $30 on some decent headphones.

Soldato
With regards to passthrough+, I have found the option to enable passthrough for a period whilst using Dash, but I have read a couple of comments claiming you can enable instant passthrough with a double press. Is that true or do we just have the Dash option?

Edit: Just found on Reddit that it is in the Experimental settings.

Last edited:
Associate
With regards to passthrough+, I have found the option to enable passthrough for a period whilst using Dash, but I have read a couple of comments claiming you can enable instant passthrough with a double press. Is that true or do we just have the Dash option?

Some games crash if you use the double press for passthrough. Robo Recall crashed yesterday when I did it.

Soldato
Nice review, I've ended up keeping my S as well. My favourite features are the significantly improved visuals at no performance cost and... the removable nose gap piece :D Until I've removed it, I came to learn just what a pain it would be to live without the gap, and when I found out that S's nose part is detachable - many praises were spoken and all the other issues (like the audio) were pardoned :)

The only real fly in ointment is the audio. What an utter disaster. Whoever signed off the solution included should be paraded in public such that we can throw tomatoes at them. The inbuilt are simply crap. MUCH worse than the CV1 solution.
Right now, I don't even have the "right" solution. The headband prevented me using either of the over the head cans that I have (a pair of Sennheisers and a pair of Musical Fidelity).

Wear them dictator style?
nimWt.jpg
r
#only a suggestion :)

Back
Top Bottom