Terminator: Dark Fate

Soldato
looks like he's took the hump w/ all the action sequences that he never filmed and is trying to outdo them. Linda as a "bad ass" granny is hysterical.
not sure how Arnie's there, given he said it's a direct sequel from T2 - where he got melted.

pass for me.

Soldato
For the on set photos seen so far it looks like Arnie maybe a human in this film, not a terminator, which would explain his appearance rather than being yet another T800.

Trailer wise - it's.....OK...........the CGI needs a whole heap of work still which is understandable but I'm wondering "where" the new female human/terminator comes from if she thinks she's human because this feels very much like the Marcus in Salvation storyline but not set in the future.

PS - Where's John Connor in all this, you know the leader of the human resistance and the most important man alive at this point?

Soldato
...sigh

giphy.gif

Soldato
We don't know if the story will be any good, so will wait out on that.

LH coming back is fine as long as it doesn't get too silly.

The thing for me is seeing whether Davis can do action films. She's been great in everything else I've seen and reminded me a lot of Hamilton, so I was expecting her to go into that sort of role. Trailer also confirms she's a hybrid, hopefully it's worthwhile unlike the Salvation attempt.

Caporegime
OP
If they dont go with the forced Arnie humour that was in Genisys and feel the need to recycle lines from past movies....it would be a nice change.

Soldato
Given the scars, I'd say she's a human who's had terminator machinery grafted on.

I know it's sci-fi and it's the future but I reallllllly hope she's not a "Wolverine" rip-off with unlimited heal to allow her to be a combo human with Terminator parts grafted on as thats just a direct copy of Salvation.

Caporegime
For the on set photos seen so far it looks like Arnie maybe a human in this film, not a terminator, which would explain his appearance rather than being yet another T800.

Trailer wise - it's.....OK...........the CGI needs a whole heap of work still which is understandable but I'm wondering "where" the new female human/terminator comes from if she thinks she's human because this feels very much like the Marcus in Salvation storyline but not set in the future.

PS - Where's John Connor in all this, you know the leader of the human resistance and the most important man alive at this point?

Please be Master Sgt Major Candy!!!

Associate
Might just be me, but a few of those scenes in the trailer looked really fake (more year 2004 CGI than 2019). In particular I note the three following scenes are being rather poor:

1. The terminator liquifying themselves and moving themselves out from the truck onto the bonnet, it looked "too much" like the photoshop liquify option (where it skews the image), rather than actually showing an actual "liquid" effect.

2. Sarah firing an RPG at the Terminator on the highway. The explosion looked out of place, flat, and not physics appropriate for the explosion you'd expect from the angle we see. It looks like the old way of superimposing a 2D CGI explosions in games on top of areas where it detonates without a care in the world as to how it would interact three dimensionally around it.

3. The last scene where we see the Terminators face reform, there's no shadowing of any kind, only a 3D mesh of where the "liquid" process can't go from physically. Looks really jarring because it's still using the same "liquify" effect from point 1 above, and also no shadows of any kind that you'd expect from the "mass" of the "liquid" moving and blocking light as necessary. (It does however have some reflection, but no shadow/blocking of light)

Also, the "physics" of the last fight in the trailer seems very off. It's almost watching partial Wuxia acrobatics flipping around the place from the "force" of the impacts being thrown about, rather than appearing to be a VERY heavy object being hit by a massive force and flipping appropriately.

Needs more work I feel.

Caporegime
OP
Might just be me, but a few of those scenes in the trailer looked really fake (more year 2004 CGI than 2019). In particular I note the three following scenes are being rather poor:

1. The terminator liquifying themselves and moving themselves out from the truck onto the bonnet, it looked "too much" like the photoshop liquify option (where it skews the image), rather than actually showing an actual "liquid" effect.

2. Sarah firing an RPG at the Terminator on the highway. The explosion looked out of place, flat, and not physics appropriate for the explosion you'd expect from the angle we see. It looks like the old way of superimposing a 2D CGI explosions in games on top of areas where it detonates without a care in the world as to how it would interact three dimensionally around it.

3. The last scene where we see the Terminators face reform, there's no shadowing of any kind, only a 3D mesh of where the "liquid" process can't go from physically. Looks really jarring because it's still using the same "liquify" effect from point 1 above, and also no shadows of any kind that you'd expect from the "mass" of the "liquid" moving and blocking light as necessary. (It does however have some reflection, but no shadow/blocking of light)

Also, the "physics" of the last fight in the trailer seems very off. It's almost watching partial Wuxia acrobatics flipping around the place from the "force" of the impacts being thrown about, rather than appearing to be a VERY heavy object being hit by a massive force and flipping appropriately.

Needs more work I feel.

The effects used in these trailers are usually first pass, people said the same thing about the effects in the Genisys trailer as well.

Associate
The effects used in these trailers are usually first pass, people said the same thing about the effects in the Genisys trailer as well.

Well... The (teaser and full) trailer I watched for Genisis didn't seem as bad. The nannites/nanobot tech used by the T3000, at least looked like it was a mass of blocks with appropriate shading. The T1000 you could get away with its liquify effects because you desaturate all colour nearly to produce the metal (sheen) look, so it's not anywhere as jarring because there's nothing to help focus and see the effect not working as it should. But this new effect on T-Ghostrider (What I'm calling it until better name comes up :p ) looks like it was something done in 2004, using only the most basic of shadowing, and only as an afterthought.

If the effects will be improved upon, then I would have suggested that the trailer be dropped later. As it is right now, it's really painful to watch in its current state. :(

Soldato
it's all ********, but a w/ every other cameron film the critics etc will fall over themselves to get their tongue up his arse and there'll be nothing but hysterically hyperbolic reviews, guaranteed.
have to give him credit for sticking to form though. rips off Harlan, rips off Ferngully, now seems to rip off every other Termisequel, that he previously pooh-poohed.

must admit i never considered Arnie to be a human. can't see it, personally, can't see what it will add to the film. would be awful if he is and he meets the Terminator equivalent of himself, just for some cheap quips.

Permabanned
it's all ********, but a w/ every other cameron film the critics etc will fall over themselves to get their tongue up his arse and there'll be nothing but hysterically hyperbolic reviews, guaranteed

What are you basing this on? Couldn't tell you the last Cameron produced/Directed film that was received even reasonably well by critics.

Back
Top Bottom