Ultimate Travel Tripod?

Caporegime
The biggest thing going for it is it’s closed diameter. Length wise it isn’t the shortest and it isn’t the lightest.

So….Pros
It’s narrow when closed
It has a nifty phone holder

Con
Fixed head
The head also isn’t full free at all angles (in Northorp’s video)
5 extensions so not as stable as a 4 extensions
Camera blocking level bubble
No D-ring on the lock or coin lock. Needs a tool.

The nitpicks are that"-

Not cheaper than its competitors
It doesn’t double lock on placement
Clip lock is great, my preferred but it’s not unique to it.
Also unknown reliability, like how easy it is to clear if you get sand in it.
It will be an excellent travel tripod but it’s not one I would have in terms of using it on a work shoot. I like the D-ring, I like something solid and can change the head.

I recently bought a Gitzo, same price as the Peak Design but a time tested design, just slightly thicker.

NvpDvnZ.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The fact that it's been pushed to so many 'influencers' on YouTube makes me think it needs more help than just standing on its on merits. Very pricey and would consider weight to be a more important factor than size and as above its not the lightest.

Caporegime
Why did Peak Design decide on using Kickstarter for this? As I see their products in any decent camera store, I’d have thought that they’d have the money to develop this in-house.

So people are literally funding this for them, they don't need to find the money to create stock and worry whether they can sell it. Now it is basically pre-order and build to order.

No risk, with a lower profit, sure but it also get more attention in more hands.

And

And

Associate
I don't think the pricing is so bad but personally outdoors I wouldn't be shooting with a centre column extended.

Soldato
So people are literally funding this for them, they don't need to find the money to create stock and worry whether they can sell it. Now it is basically pre-order and build to order.

No risk, with a lower profit, sure but it also get more attention in more hands.

Fair enough. Surprised that so many punters were so keen to help PD maximise their profits this way.

Price is bonkers. I picked up my Velbon UT43DII for around £100 4-5 years ago and while I can see that the carbon PD is a nice piece or gear, there’s no way it’s worth 5 time that even for pro photographers.

Caporegime
Fair enough. Surprised that so many punters were so keen to help PD maximise their profits this way.

Price is bonkers. I picked up my Velbon UT43DII for around £100 4-5 years ago and while I can see that the carbon PD is a nice piece or gear, there’s no way it’s worth 5 time that even for pro photographers.

Carbon Fibre is worth it, especially for a travel tripod. Actually, I think the price isn't that big an obstacle to overcome if you use your tripod a lot and carry it everywhere.

The biggest hurdle to overcome is that fixed ball head and unknown reliability.

Soldato
OP
Why did Peak Design decide on using Kickstarter for this? As I see their products in any decent camera store, I’d have thought that they’d have the money to develop this in-house.
Peak designs are a Kickstarter success story. They started off with one product on there years ago and have built upon that. When they have a new release they often go back to Kickstarter for it.

Back
Top Bottom