• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why haven't GPUs gone triple-slot?

Soldato
OP
The only argument against quad slot coolers is that there's no room for them on many mATX systems. Triple+ slot system rule out ITX, of course.

Soldato
OP
A high end gpu as you say cries out for water cooling if you are that way inclined not a massive cooler.

I disagree. Even at the high end, most people just want to plug and play. And AIO fluid coolers have the issues of pumps breaking, fluid leaking, fluid evaporating, and so on. With air coolers, if a fan breaks, it can be easily replaced.

Soldato
Why can't we have single slot again please. Especially for water-cooling I remember have a pair of gtx 480 with a slim xspc razor blocks very nice and very compact.

Loved my R9 Nano for this reason when I put it under a block in my HTPC. Looked great being single slot.

Soldato
Huh?

Airflow is an entirely separate issue. One which AIO coolers win big time.

With air coolers, if a fan breaks, it can be easily replaced.

- if a fan breaks on a GPU cooler how do you replace it with a matching fan ? Its not easy or cheap unless you go fugly and strap one on.
- Bigger GPU coolers take up more space which means less space for airflow in and around the bigger cooler hence defeating the object and reducing the effect of the said bigger cooler. Full size ATX case fine but in smaller cases where the QUAD cooler could come up against the PSU there is less airflow. Hence airflow makes a difference.

Associate
Most, if not all, EK blocks are single slot. I actually wonder whether performance would be better if EK didn't impose that restriction.

Yep the issues aren't the block the issues are the brackets and display sockets on the end. You could always get thin blocks the problem is most card have dp and hdmi sockets which are stacked which means you have a lost a slot regardless of the physical space it takes in the case.

Soldato
OP
if a fan breaks on a GPU cooler how do you replace it with a matching fan ? Its not easy or cheap unless you go fugly and strap one on.

Why bother? Just get a new identical one and fit it. They are mass-produced fans, you know. If you disassemble your GPU you should find the label on the fan.

Back
Top Bottom