Summer Transfer Thread 2019

Don
We only conceded 28 goals last season. Anyone can spin statistics to their own gain.

Also Roma is not in the premier league so what is that meant to prove? That's like comparing lap times of Silverstone to Monza. Lol
I assume you mean the season before last and what spin? You can use rubbish statistics to prove most things - for example I could have said Alisson only conceded 20 goals last season so is clearly far better than De Gea's ever been but there's no context to that though. Expected goals stats give you proper context and allow you to judge the performance of keepers (and attackers) regardless of the quality of the side they're in or even league they're playing in.

Again, based on the quality of chances conceded Liverpool would have conceded 35.75% more goals than they did with an average (literally speaking) keeper in goal. Utd should have conceded 6.7% fewer goals. That's a 42.45% swing. You asked how well Alisson would have done playing behind Jones and Smalling and the answer is considerably better than did De Gea last season. In fact only Wolves, Leicester, Brighton, Southampton, Fulham and Huddersfield's keepers would have done worse assuming they performed at the exact same level as they did for their own sides.

You can justifiably say Utd's defence is sub par but last season so was De Gea.

Soldato
Brutal truth. Man Utd would need to pay more than City, Liverpool, Real, Barca, Bayern, Juve, PSG at the very least to be competitive with those teams in terms of attractiveness ATM.
Not necessarily

Depends on if the player is likely to be playing week in week out in x position or "one for the future" - the only other team that's doing a massive rebuild this season is Real (bad enough competition admittedly but not as bad as potentially competing against 6-7 other clubs

Also add in that some players might prefer one league or the other for that stage in their career and multitude of other factors

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There is talk from the Spanish press that we've offered major money to De Ligt and Barcelona are less confident of getting him.

Would be amazing but I just can't see it.

Soldato
Not necessarily

Depends on if the player is likely to be playing week in week out in x position or "one for the future" - the only other team that's doing a massive rebuild this season is Real (bad enough competition admittedly but not as bad as potentially competing against 6-7 other clubs

Also add in that some players might prefer one league or the other for that stage in their career and multitude of other factors
Why would a player choose man utd over any of those other teams? I can see your argument in the abstract but my comments relate to a player considering Man Utd Vs those other teams.

Caporegime
Why would a player choose man utd over any of those other teams? I can see your argument in the abstract but my comments relate to a player considering Man Utd Vs those other teams.

Last time we finished out of the top 4 we signed Pogba and Ibrahimovic. We'll always be a huge lure.

Don
Last time we finished out of the top 4 we signed Pogba and Ibrahimovic. We'll always be a huge lure.
Tbf you did have to pay way over and above what anybody would have paid for Pogba and made Zlatan the most expensive free transfer of all time. Yes Utd are still a big side and are an attractive option to most players but if Utd are going head to head with Barca or City for top player right now then the only way that player's joining Utd is if he's a massive Utd fan or if Utd blow the other side out of the water with a massive offer either to the player or his club.

Caporegime
And what good have either of them done you?

One was humongously overpriced and has hugely underperformed and the other was after an end of career paycheque for a season or so.

Ibra had a great season with us :confused:

Pogba has been one of the best midfielders in Europe. So yeah I'd say they've both done pretty well.

Soldato
Not with his attitude. He’s way above his station and doesn’t put in the effort. He had a few good weeks under Ole, then went to absolute crap once Ole was appointed. Even the Utd fans are sick of him.

I tend to believe when a player performs one week and not the next, that its the job of the manager and coaching staff to motivate them and get the best out of him. Look at Sanchez, was great for us, but goes there and does nothing. I can't believe he has become useless so quickly, something else must be wrong.

Soldato
Pogba is toxic. He is obsessed with his personal brand to the detriment of the way he plays. He isn't a team player and his performance levels are inconsistent.

Caporegime
Pogba is toxic. He is obsessed with his personal brand to the detriment of the way he plays. He isn't a team player and his performance levels are inconsistent.

In a United shirt yes. He was one of the best players at last years world cup and when Ole was at the wheel he was an utter beast. Then again it is up to them to get the best out of him and keep him performaing next season.

Back
Top Bottom