*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
First time smoking in the callow (well first time ever smoking)

AelNEv4.jpg

ZWR0XeC.jpg
cpn3fov.jpg
dD4v5wv.jpg

Chicken was a piri piri spatchcocked from Lidl and was pretty good

Pork was a rolled shoulder (should have got a bigger joint but not bad for cheap trial run)

Apologies for the pictures, never have got the hang of showing off food like some seem to be able too... Both were lovely though smoked with a couple of chunks of soaked apple wood.

Only issues was getting the temperature down low enough to smoke, I was after 110°C but couldn't get it below 125°C, still took 2 1/2 hours for the chicken and 7 hours for the pulled pork.

Any tips/tricks people can offer before I get back on it are welcome :)

Soldato
The missus was away and I was at a loss so threw some ribs on the smoker this afternoon. :D

RsHu3uYl.jpg

Only issues was getting the temperature down low enough to smoke, I was after 110°C but couldn't get it below 125°C, still took 2 1/2 hours for the chicken and 7 hours for the pulled pork.

The meat looks good! What are you using in the pan? Maybe try a bit more water in it to bring the temps down a touch or take some of the fuel out? Generally on my WSM I only need the bottom vents open a tiny fraction to keep it around 110C to 120C.

Soldato
The meat looks good! What are you using in the pan? Maybe try a bit more water in it to bring the temps down a touch or take some of the fuel out? Generally on my WSM I only need the bottom vents open a tiny fraction to keep it around 110C to 120C.

I had water in the pan and it was pretty full, my guess is too much fuel ( I just filled the basket and threw the lit coals in the middle) and bad vent control.

It tasted great so I'm happy, I just want a bit more practice so I have better control before I buy a more expensive joint to attempt :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
Got one of the Aldi kamado BBQs arriving this week. Where do you guys tend to get your large slabs of meat from? Local butchers? I have a whole chicken sitting in the fridge ready to cook but I want to smoke some large briskets and the like.

Soldato
Got one of the Aldi kamado BBQs arriving this week. Where do you guys tend to get your large slabs of meat from? Local butchers? I have a whole chicken sitting in the fridge ready to cook but I want to smoke some large briskets and the like.

I tend to use Turner and George, Rogers and Son, Bobs Family Butchers or James Lowe. Ideally I'd buy locally but I've not found anyone near me that sells what I want so it's usually easier to buy from one of these.

Associate
Hi all,

Just looking to pick up a Weber kettle bbq. It looks like i can get the Weber Master Touch GBS 57cm for £229 or the Weber Master Touch Premium for £295 which comes with the free poultry roaster and Sear Grate.

My research from this thread and the rest of the interent suggests this Kettle BBQ is a great starting point for beginners like me but I can't decide whether it it be worth stumping up 66 quid extra for the premium? What do you guys think?

Cheers

Soldato
First time smoking in the callow (well first time ever smoking)

Chicken was a piri piri spatchcocked from Lidl and was pretty good

Pork was a rolled shoulder (should have got a bigger joint but not bad for cheap trial run)

Apologies for the pictures, never have got the hang of showing off food like some seem to be able too... Both were lovely though smoked with a couple of chunks of soaked apple wood.

Any tips/tricks people can offer before I get back on it are welcome :)

Good to see another Callow Smokerer!

I wouldn't worry about 125C being too high, unless you're wanting to be more fuel efficient. 125C is 257F and you see tonnes of people these days smoking at more like 300F. 257F is basically never going to be too hot for your meat, and you'll cook a bit quicker, which in my book is a definite plus.

Soldato
You must be loaded :p

Haha, I like Tom Hixon because they sell you the whole or half the joint of meat so I can portion it up how I like (I like thick cuts of Ribeye). It looks expensive but when you see how many meals you get after cutting it up I don't think its any more expensive than a supermarket but you get a much better product. The meat boxes work out pretty good value.

Soldato
Hi all,

Just looking to pick up a Weber kettle bbq. It looks like i can get the Weber Master Touch GBS 57cm for £229 or the Weber Master Touch Premium for £295 which comes with the free poultry roaster and Sear Grate.

My research from this thread and the rest of the interent suggests this Kettle BBQ is a great starting point for beginners like me but I can't decide whether it it be worth stumping up 66 quid extra for the premium? What do you guys think?

Cheers

The best wisdom I have is that sear grates are vasty overrated, sear marks are an aesthetic thing and aren't really the best way to cook a steak. The flavour comes from the fire and the meat, the less that comes in between the better.

Poultry roaster sounds like a gimmick too, just stick it on a beer can or get a cheap one elsewhere
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenCra...s=chicken+bbq&qid=1559199187&s=gateway&sr=8-4

fez

fez

Caporegime
I tend to use Turner and George, Rogers and Son, Bobs Family Butchers or James Lowe. Ideally I'd buy locally but I've not found anyone near me that sells what I want so it's usually easier to buy from one of these.

I get mine from Tom Hixon

There are some nice cuts of meat on those sites!

Seem quite expensive but I think I am just used to buying cheap crappy supermarket meat. The free range chicken I bought was ~£10 and that would cost me £3-4 for a cheap one. Nice meat is expensive but its so much better.

Do any of you know of good sites for rub and marinade recipes? Pre-made ones seem really expensive for what you get.

Back
Top Bottom