Alabama outlaws abortion . . .

Soldato
Well except that for the people that this is most likely to affect they are unlikely to be able to take the time off work and just spend a few hundred dollars to go to another state, especially given many of the states require a mandetory waiting period between consultation with someone and having the proceedure.

This also sort of assumes you're not in a state where the neighbouring states haven't also shut down most of the places that provide abortions, there are IIRC several states with only one or two providers left, so you could be looking at it as being very time consuming and expensive.
Not to mention the younger girls who may not have any income or be old enough to go off on their own for several days.

It's basically a law that will hurt the poorest hardest as you can bet the likes of the politicians who passed this will have no problems funding abortions for their secretary who they've knocked up (as IIRC has turned out to be the case multiple times with hard line anti abortion politicians who paid for, or pushed for the women they've knocked up to have them).

lol no. Last time i looked it was not a lot for a Greyhound ticket and not all that expensive for an abortion. An abortion is an abortion no matter which state. So yeah if they have to go spend a few hundred dollars previously, then they'll still have to spend a few hundred dollars, just in a different state. If Abortions are a business then there's plenty of clinics. I took a two sec look in Georgia and there were loads. And if its legal there, and there's money to be made from all the extra business of all the new Alabama girls then they'll open up some more offices. This affects literally no-one, other than a small extra inconvenient road trip.

Soldato
The problem is you've already loaded the question by saying a fetus is a person.

This medical definition is a pretty accurate description of an embryo/fetus:

Parasite: A plant or an animal organism that lives in or on another and takes its nourishment from that other organism.

Getting rid of a parasite doesn't sound like a bad thing at all, does it? ;) Even more so when you look at the problems this parasite can have for the host, including (but not limited to) hypertension, gestational diabetes, anemia, depression, extreme nausea/vomiting, pelvic problems like pubis symphysis disfunction (causing chronic pain) and severe dental problems (enough of a problem that pregnant women get free NHS dental treatment).

did you deliberately misquote the definition?

parasite
/ˈparəsʌɪt/
noun
noun: parasite; plural noun: parasites
  1. an organism that lives in or on an organism of another species (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the other's expense.

I would be interested if you could find, in a medical setting, an example of the same species (outside of humans) being identified as a parasite.

Your definition is clearly bunkum anyway your gut is full of organisms, that outnumber your own cells, that both live in your and rely on you as the source of their nourishment but yet exist in a symbiotic relationship with you as you rely on them to help you digest your food and extract nutrients from it.

Soldato
I would be interested if you could find, in a medical setting, an example of the same species (outside of humans) being identified as a parasite.
Your definition is clearly bunkum anyway your gut is full of organisms, that outnumber your own cells, that both live in your and rely on you as the source of their nourishment but yet exist in a symbiotic relationship with you as you rely on them to help you digest your food and extract nutrients from it.

I haven't given a definition. And I clearly pointed out that being the same species is the difference between parasite and foetus. You are clearly emotionally invested in your position to the exclusion of critical analysis. By the way, gut flora is more specifically an example of mutualism, a subset of symbiosis.

Soldato
I haven't given a definition.

Sometimes it really is hard to reply to some people on the internet without using pejorative terms.

Tuppy_Glossop said:
This medical definition is a pretty accurate description of an embryo/fetus:Parasite: A plant or an animal organism that lives in or on another and takes its nourishment from that other organism.

And I clearly pointed out that being the same species is the difference between parasite and foetus.

You alluded to this in a subsequent post after giving your initial bunkum definition when you are now claiming, for reasons unknown, that you never gave a definition in the first place contrary to the evidence in front of everyone reading this thread

You are clearly emotionally invested in your position to the exclusion of critical analysis.

Says the person who likened a foetus to a parasite with a bogus definition in one post before they bizarrely claimed never to have provided a definition in the first place in variance to the clear observable evidence that they did

By the way, gut flora is more specifically an example of mutualism, a subset of symbiosis.

So gut flora are in symbiosis with their host so my description was entirely accurate as there wasn't a need in this case to pinpoint the exact subset of symbiosis as I only needed to exclude parasitism.

Bravo any more pearls of wisdom for us?

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's obviously ending life, I guess it technically is murder of depending on where you classify 'life'

I guess that's the problem Almost everyone would have a problem ending the life of a child just born. But very few taking the morning after pill.
The rest of the time is just a blur.
You have to draw a line somewhere. I think it's fine where it is in the UK.

Associate
did you deliberately misquote the definition?

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=4769

Nope ;)

Since you're the Supreme Overseer of what an accurate definition is, how about you provide one for "fetus" that describes it as "a person"?

I did also say "pretty accurate". And put a ;) in - that's the international symbol of playfulness.

Obviously a fetus isn't a parasite - it's a fetus. But it does share some markedly similar attributes, especially in harming and feeding off the host.

Sometimes it really is hard to reply to some people on the internet without using pejorative terms.

Tuppy_Glossop said:
This medical definition is a pretty accurate description of an embryo/fetus:Parasite: A plant or an animal organism that lives in or on another and takes its nourishment from that other organism.

Apparently sometimes it really is hard to reply to the right person on the internet. I believe you owe @Tuppy_Glossop an apology (and perhaps yourself some pejorative terms :p).

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/apology

apology
NOUN
A regretful acknowledgement of an offence or failure.

Soldato
@Caracus2k No problem, I was only trying to inject a bit of life (!) into a flagging discussion, without offering an actual opinion and pre-emptively denying the obvious comeback options

I'm a naughty boy. To be fair I was quite drunk, too.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Utterly insane!
The facts of the case are fairly straightforward and fairly common: Ryan Magers got his teenage then girlfriend pregnant. She didn’t want to be pregnant (according to her father, she didn’t even really want to have sex with Magers). She found out about the pregnancy early, and had an abortion at six weeks, over Magers’s objections. Magers was angry, and sued the Alabama Women’s Center for Reproductive Alternatives, the facility at which his ex ended her pregnancy. He also petitioned to represent the estate of “Baby Roe”, the six-week-old embryo, and probate judge Frank Barber granted his request. This enables Magers to sue both the clinic and the manufacturer of the pill his ex used to end her pregnancy on behalf of the embryo, and is the first time an embryo or a fetus has been legally recognized as a person.
The fundamentalist Christian Americans should be incarcerated on a desert island along with fundamentalists of other religions, supplied with WMD and allowed to work out their differences.

Associate
As a woman I’d just flee to another state if this was positioned against me, but then again... have to be an idiot to marry such a ****.
Probably not a realistic option if you're a 16 year old schoolgirl - imagine the uproar if such punitive measures were put in place for males wanting vasectomies.

Back
Top Bottom