Ubiquiti error...

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
The Sky dish shouldn't be a problem, I've got a run of cat 5e in the same trunking as the cable for my Sky dish and everything is working fine here.

Try and connect the new AP directly to the switch and see what happens. You could also disable wireless meshing completely and see if that helps, generally it's best to disable it if you don't need it as I find Ubiquiti stuff starts grumbling about STP when for some unknown reason it'll try and uplink wirelessly even though there's a working run of cat 5e in place.

Disabled Mesh and the AP disconnects permanently.

I had already connected directly to switch no problem with the new AP, it has to be the cable.

Soldato
OP
Also, if you have CAT6 cable, use CAT6 RJ45 ends.

Although un-advised, should still work with incorrect plugs if crimped well.

Funnily a Cat6 RJ45 keystone that I punched yesterday works fine in the same room (opposite end of room) and returns 1Gbps. I can’t get a cable from this to the AP location sadly.

Soldato
OP
Do you have spare sockets you could attach to the problem cable? They'd take the plugs and crimp tool you're using out of the equation.

I have a whole box of them, but the location is around 1ft from the ceiling so it wouldn't look too pretty having a polished chrome network point up there with a trailing cable to the AP!

Although a bit of Velcro could get around this issue if I mounted the AP directly over it.

Perhaps a moot point however, as I have some outdoor shielded Cat6 coming tomorrow morning ... with moulded rj45 attached. I’ll test the cable first before cutting one rj45 off, then route it and recrimp with a shielded Cat6 connector.

Soldato
OP
The plot thickens, twice over!

Cable/Core 2 is showing as no-signal on both sides of the cable using the new tester. I’ve recrimped them both 4 times now. I’ll try using the new Cat6 rj45s rut I’ve bought.

Strangely I’ve been sent 30m of cat7 outdoor and shielded. I tested this locally (no cutting ends off etc or touring through walls). This received PoE from the UniFi switch but did not communicate with it at all.

I restarted the full system and the 30m cable now allows full adoption of the new AP (and then downloaded the firmware!). So this is positive, a 30m cable length allows the AP to function.

Next step will involve me chopping the end off the cable. As it is cat7, I’m thinking that I’m going to have to replace both ends to Cat6? I don’t have any cat7 RJ45 connectors ...

Soldato
OP
I recrimped the existing cable with Cat6 rj45 connectors and the new tester reported fault on 1 and 4 at the AP end, and the switch end reported 2 as a fault.

I checked and double, and triple checked the crimps and every cable was perfectly in the contact sever areas but still no joy!

Next up, I’m going to get cat5e as suggested and hopefully that will make a difference. I think I’m going to need to get a telescopic ladder to get on the flat roof, the step ladders were... interesting :rolleyes:

Soldato
Have you tried just grabbing a 2m premade patch cable from somewhere and just checking whether the AP works when just connected with that rather than in its final position? I.e. confirm that everything else works together properly before concentrating purely on the cable.

Soldato
OP
Have you tried just grabbing a 2m premade patch cable from somewhere and just checking whether the AP works when just connected with that rather than in its final position? I.e. confirm that everything else works together properly before concentrating purely on the cable.

Hi, yes with two different cables - cat7 and a Cat6 pre-made, in different switches too. The AP is fine, the issue is either the cable, rj45s, crimping tool or life hating me :D

Soldato
OP
I made a test cable using my new cat5e external cable, and it reported no signal on cores 1-3. This was using the original rj45 (cat5) connectors. My crimping is honestly not botched! I'm going to try using better RJ45s and report back...

Soldato
OP
You're using solid core cable?

Are you using plugs intended for solid core cable? Some only work reliably with stranded cable.

I’ve just crimped a test cable with the external 5e using the new Cat6 3-prong rj45s and it fully passed!

Now, I just need to get back on the roof and replace the internal cable... gah!

Back
Top Bottom