New Toyota Supra formally announced

Soldato
^^
Good post.

So you're acknowledging that we we have a car which has all the "bloat" of modern safety stuff, but which is still lighter than it's predecessor because it's built from better materials.
And as it's been pointed out, it's not really any more expensive than it's predecessor in real terms.

So...what's the problem? You just seem desperate to be as disparaging as possible about the new car, and I don't know why.

But how much would it had weighed if it was steel, like the old one?

They are using lighter materials now, but it's only countering the extra weight being added. 50kg isn't a big saving really. Less than one average passenger.

Soldato

They are using lighter materials now, but it's only countering the extra weight being added. 50kg isn't a big saving really. Less than one average passenger.

But it’s much safer AND much lighter!? Those are both good things.

Soldato

But the introduction of extra weight for elements like added safety enhancements can't be avoided. It's inevitable if Toyota want to be able to put their cars to market. So dreaming about what could be achieved if they didn't bother is fruitless whataboutism.

Even when they manage to make a car which has the safety refinements expected of a modern vehicle weigh less than it's predecessor, at no extra cost, you're still complaining "it's only 50Kgs". It's a bizarre line of criticism which makes me think you are still just looking for anything to beat it with because you've seemingly got a dislike for BMW.

Caporegime

Are you upset about something with this car. Your point about it being too heavy has been discredited.

Who weighs 50kg?

Caporegime
Fair but let’s go to the key point. It’s more got more power, lighter with more tech and much safer than the old one. And uses more advance materials.

Just be honest. you hate it that’s it’s a BMW underneath

Soldato
No I'm just disappointed.

I'm sure Toyota has made sure it's a reliable BMW. But I'd like to have seen them do something on their own. They made sporty Lexus' on their own and they did a pretty good job of it, so why not a Supra.

Caporegime
Why would you be disappointed it is a BMW underneath? It's hardly a downgrade in build quality.

If anything, it is an upgrade. The only thing you can argue about is it may not have Toyota reliability but then again, Toyota have revised a lot of parts of the platform to conform to their standards so by all accounts it is up to Toyota quality.

I mean what would you have preferred for them to partner it with? Bearing in mind there would be a similar car on the other side.

Soldato
Remember that Toyota interior that wasn't crap?

Me neither.

I prefer "quirky" rather than "crap".

The point is that it's extremely jarring to have an extremely Japanese exterior with a bog standard BMW interior. The inside and outside of the car don't match at all!

Toyota must be paying BMW a tonne of money for them not to just bring out a Z4 coupe.

Soldato
Japanese manufacturers make interiors that are "good enough" and put the money in to robust mechanical parts. With the Germans it's the other way round, I guess the 2 do go well together :D

Soldato
What I’ll say on the interior is this.

The BMW infotainment and quality are plus points.

The sad part is that there isn’t much in the way of Japanese styling influence.

I’m pretty sure no one is bothered about a Toyota quality interior.

Back
Top Bottom