Heatsink / fan combo for a Pi 3B+?

Commissario
Has anyone used one of these or can suggest an alternative?

It's going to be in a box, 35ft up in the air and running at around 50% CPU load all the time. I'm doing something similar now with a 3B but it's running lower load and the 3B+ gets hotter than the 3B.

No issues in the winter but I want to be sure it doesn't overheat and throttle back when the weather is warm.

Soldato
I've used one of those and it's been fine for me (board in cupboard with no airflow)

If it's going to be up the air in direct sun light (weather station?) then painting the enclosure white can also make a big difference with temps

Commissario
OP
Not a weather station but an ADS-B receiver and the box is a light grey colour (and it's been there for eighteen months so probably well covered in bird droppings now). Thanks, I didn't expect an answer so quickly. This is what the temperature was recorded at over the last year, sorry it's in F

YLwW6hn.png

Soldato
A bit late to the party on this I know but I had delivered and then installed it today one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07M7M53LT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My word what a difference, with todays ambient temps in the low 30s the Pi 3B+ is running at 36.5C (albiet low load running DietPi+PiHole+Netdata) down from mid 50s. I did use some thermal grizzly for the top chips rather than the supplied pads but I had to use a pad for the bottom chip as the gap was just a little to big. To add the fans are also silent :eek: :)

**Edit, very strange the items for sale has changed on the link :confused:
Another version of the same thing is this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jun_Electronic-Raspberry-Enclosure-Aluminum-heat-sink/dp/B07QFTW6QX/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=MakerHawk+Raspberry+Pi+2B/3B/3B++Armor+Case&qid=1562003125&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom