What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Lego Movie 2, 6/10

The first 3/4 was like an acid trip and not an enjoyable one, even the kids were bored and unsure what was going on. But the final 1/4 was very good when flicking between real world and lego - just a shame the rest of the movie didn't compare.

Caporegime
The Quiet Place. 5/10. I thought it was strictly average. Disappointing given the many positive reviews.

My observation is that the majority of people who love it watched it at the cinema and the majority of people who thought it was ordinary watched it at home.

There’s something to be said about the power of this movie in the theatres, where you can feel the entire cinema holding its breath, people stopped eating popcorn and they don’t dare make a noise together.

Permabanned
Rambo: First Blood - 9/10.

Rewatched this via UHD Blu-Ray and it looked brilliant. Such a great film, I only discovered it a few years ago having mistakenly thought it would be like the sequels and it isn’t at all. Now one of my favourites I think :)

oooh might rewatch this on Blu-Ray, really good movie with some great scenery from what a I recall, shame about the sequels.

Associate
My observation is that the majority of people who love it watched it at the cinema and the majority of people who thought it was ordinary watched it at home.

There’s something to be said about the power of this movie in the theatres, where you can feel the entire cinema holding its breath, people stopped eating popcorn and they don’t dare make a noise together.

That's fair enough, I can well imagine the atmosphere would be brilliantly tense in a group (even alone, that stair injury moment got me)

Caporegime
The Quiet Place. 5/10. I thought it was strictly average. Disappointing given the many positive reviews.

I really liked it tbh.

Also watched the Ted Bundy film with Zac Efron.
Recommend it for sure, it's a film about Ted Bundy that doesn't really contain any of the actual Horrors he did, it's more about the character. Interesting take nonetheless

Soldato
Ghost in the shell ( 2017 )

Love the anime, but the live action version?, hmmmm not so much, it was a competent enough film but just seemed to lack "something".

The cgi & physical special effects were good as was the acting but the direction on the other hand only did the job, some of the shots were lifted straight out of the anime & recreated shot for shot to great effect, the over all "feel" of the movie to my mind stayed true to the original anime source material tho some of the dialogue how ever was a bit poor and repetitive, on the whole it should've been a pretty good movie but it missed the mark some how, and i can't help but feel that that's down Rupert Sanders playing it far too safe in his interpretation of Ghost in the shell, i really don't think he was the right director for the job.

It could & should have been a great movie, the potential was certainly there, how ever it settled for being merely competent & i came away feeling some what disappointed by the end result.

5.5 out of 10

I love the 1995 anime film as well. Similar thoughts to you on this live action film; they got the look right, but they missed the point and ended up creating a film which felt more like Robocop than GitS. I guess it was no surprise though; I'm not sure any fan of GitS was confident they would do a good job with the story.

While the direction could have been better, I don't think any blame can be laid at Sanders' feet when it came to the story; the director can only direct the screenplay given to him/her. From what I've read, according to one writer who was credited as having worked on the film, there were at least six or seven different writers who had worked on it in total since 2009 or before.

With something like this, you need someone who understands the source material to do it justice; but then, you have to ask the question, unless it's an independent production, whether the studio would allow them to get on with it. Probably not, is my feeling.

Permabanned
Upgrade

A small budget does not excuse a poor screenplay. It starts of well enough and sets up a nice little revenge story, but it really is just that little bit too slow to get going and it has to try and sell you this mad sci-fi concept in just under an hour. Yeah some of the stunt work is impressive and the actors try to make the best of a bad script, but overall it feels to ambitious for it's own good. It's charming in own, inane way, but I wouldn't really recommend it.

Dark Knight Returns: Part 1 & 2

Frank Millers original graphic novel is of course a classis and will remain so forever. This animated 2 parter? perhaps not so much. It is essentially the novel transposed into a different medium and whilst that might first appear to be a good thing, it ends up feeling like a wasted opportunity. Despite a combined run time of just under 3 hours, the two parts are far too racey. Every significant event throughout the story is rushed to it's conclusion so we can get to the next one and as a result the audience has no time to absorb the VERY significant plot points of the narrative.

I never really took much notice as a younger chap, but the voice acting really is quite shocking at times, particularly from Peter Weller. This is made ever more annoying when on the rare occasion he actually delivers it with some gusto! The rest of the voice cast are however pretty decent as a whole. Love Michael Emersons Joker but the highlight is Ariel Winter as Carrie Kelley.

I love the story itself a great deal and have been a fan of the GN since I was wee. There's some really heavy themes in there (even if a lot of them are delivered massively on the nose), but I would have preferred them to change certain things within the canon of the story to deliver a more structurally sound narrative here.

Soldato
Kong Skull Island 6-7/10.

There are some good moments but editing is all over the place. The whole film I was like - "oh I guess that scene is over. On to the next one then"

Some really great visuals though. Also, Tom Hiddleston is miscast.

Caporegime
The Meg- I felt violated :(

I feel Sky should refund me some subscription money to compensate me for them uploading this steaming great turd to my sky box. The cast annoyed me so much, I wanted the meg to tear the lot of em to pieces, even the little girl and dog.

Associate
Aladdin (2019) - 9/10

Enjoyable, fun and entertaining throughout with some great songs, great special effects, good acting and a classic story which moves at the right pace.

Although it’s pretty much a blow by blow remake of the original, there are some new songs and modern additions which work well and although it all ends a bit too neatly, it is a superb production.

Soldato
John Wick 3 - 4.5 / 10

Well, I'm going to buck the trend with that score as I thought it was absolutely rubbish. To be fair I only thought the first one was Ok and not so impressed with the second, but the rave reviews on here made me go to the cinema to watch the 3rd.

I mean it had absolutely zero plot and was just an endless conveyor belt of bad guys to dispatch, which was entertaining for the first half an hour, sure, but just became extremely boring after that.

Nodded off a few times as well by the end.

Back
Top Bottom