Poll: Monaco Grand Prix 2019, Monte Carlo - Race 6/21

Rate the 2019 Monaco Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I've gone for a generous 3/10, purely for the reason that as I'm not watching it then something interesting may happen - a car nearly running over a pigeon or something.

Also, because when I attended this grand prix a few years ago, to their credit they had the best portaloos of any F1 circuit that I've visited so far (although Barcelona has pretty good permanent toilet facilities).

Associate
I've gone for a 5... in the hope the weather changes. Currently its already moved from being sunny with some clouds to just cloudy on Sunday.... so fingers cross for rain.

Man of Honour
Given it a 1/10 as it's always boring here. Unless it rains, then it could have the potential to be a 5+/10. I hate this track as it's virtually impossible to overtake which makes for a boring follow the leader and would love to see it taken off the championship list. If they must "race" here do it as a non championship demo/PR stunt or similar

Permabanned
Merc have clearly got active suspension going on. They didn't run it in winter testing but have now got it up and running. I reckon Ferrari had a better car initially but now Merc have overtaken them with shenanigans.

Associate
Gotta be 1/10. Always dull as dishwater this one, the most memorable moment in recent years be Kimi deciding to go chill on his yacht after retiring in the middle of the race.

Soldato
Merc have clearly got active suspension going on. They didn't run it in winter testing but have now got it up and running. I reckon Ferrari had a better car initially but now Merc have overtaken them with shenanigans.

You don't think something like active suspension would be rather straightforward for the FIA to spot? I note that there are no complaints from Ferrari, other than about their own performance.

Soldato
That's a pretty bold statement considering the amount of scrutineering the car has gone through by this point of the season, and how many spy shots the other teams will have taken of it. I highly doubt it's true in any way.

Man of Honour

Bwaaahahahahahaha! :D :D :D Yeah.. Active suspension.... :rolleyes:
You've watched the video of the Lotus/Williams running through it's test routine while in the garage haven't you?

If they had active suspension, you would never see the front raise and drop like that, the front would be held at the perfect ride height at all times. The pressure would increase in the high speed sections which would be counteracting for the aerodynamic load pushed into the suspension. It never bounced up and down like that on the track, unless it failed...

There's also the other thing, it's extremely obvious to spot active suspension.

Any other wild theories you've got? Second turbo? Traction control? Ferrari are deliberately letting them win in order to get their own way on the 2021 regs?

Permabanned
Ok well maybe not fully active suspension but certainly quasi active suspension... A bit like power assisted steering to just give things a nudge in the right direction at the right time. Merc have been asking for return of active suspension for a while now so probably feel they are ahead of other teams in this area. Looks like they managed to twist the rules to get a form of the tech on track which explains their dominance. Ham and bottas both feared this car would be another diva after testing but this new tech has solved their problems it seems.

Soldato
Ok well maybe not fully active suspension but certainly quasi active suspension... A bit like power assisted steering to just give things a nudge in the right direction at the right time. Merc have been asking for return of active suspension for a while now so probably feel they are ahead of other teams in this area. Looks like they managed to twist the rules to get a form of the tech on track which explains their dominance. Ham and bottas both feared this car would be another diva after testing but this new tech has solved their problems it seems.

Well if we're making stuff up, I'd suggest that Mercedes are simply dancing naked around the car the night before the race, sacrificing a goat to Sha'alub the Destroyer, and rubbing unicorn juice into the tyres. That would be within the rules, whereas active suspension is not.

Soldato
Absolute ********.

Soldato
Obviously it isn't active suspension - certainly not by the conventional definition anyway. However looking at it with a broader view, it wouldn't surprise me to find out Merc are using some suspension trickery in their car. You only have to look back a few years to things like FRIC's to see the work Merc (and other teams) will put in to advantageous suspension even if it isn't 'active' suspension.

Edit: For clarification - I have no idea either way or what video Rubberduck saw to make the comment. Merc obviously have a legal car else all the scrutineering would have found something. However, I don't think it is beyond the realms of possibility that Merc have some trick albeit legal suspension. Though it is pure speculation so who knows.

Caporegime
They all have trick suspension, all the top teams spend millions on trick suspension systems for every season, there are huge gains to be made there. As was pointed out to rubberduck, active suspension shows a complete lack of ride height change as it automatically adjusts to do so.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/bs7xhg/mercs_unique_suspension_allowing_them_fully/

The second post along with the image explains it quite well. Active means managed, means changing depending on conditions. A hinge is not active, it works the same way all race with no controlling aspect, it's just there but it only works within a specific range to really help in cornering. What's once again amazing from Merc is making a hinged suspension push rod that doesn't break under load.

Back
Top Bottom