2019 Chilli Growing thread

Soldato
Idea for you depending how big your small greenhouse is. First year for me too but I got a small greenhouse and put a small (2ft tall maybe?) oil filled radiator in there. Keeps it nice.
When I say green house it's only a flat pack shelving "greenhouse" I'd love space for even a small greenhouse. Will have to knock the garage down for that though!

When do people start feeding their chillis?

Soldato
Soldato
Cheers @azibux1 - is that greenhouse sturdy? I was thinking about building some kind of cold frame but having it about ~80cm high or so. Check my garden thread for what space I have available if you have a spare 2 minutes.

Potted up my plugs last night but they went a bit limp - hoping they'll pick back up today!

Soldato
Think the general recommendation is to start feeding the plants when they begin to flower.
Chilli focus has a weaker dilution rate for seedling/young plant stage.
you can buy seedlings or plants already half grown if need be.

ebay is good for them.
Good shout!
Cheers @azibux1 - is that greenhouse sturdy? I was thinking about building some kind of cold frame but having it about ~80cm high or so. Check my garden thread for what space I have available if you have a spare 2 minutes.

Potted up my plugs last night but they went a bit limp - hoping they'll pick back up today!

Garden looks like it will have the space. They do a few different sizes of those greenhouses I linked too.

It's pretty solid to be fair! I initially built it and emailed them straight away saying the shelves (mesh) are flexing with just the weight of my hand but they responded back pretty quick saying it is rated to 20KG per shelf. And the cable ties to hold the mesh (which I still haven't fitted) make it even stronger. So sure enough I loaded it up with 10l pots which all together way a fair amount... and it's fine!

lPznu6d.jpg

Soldato
Why are some of my plants doing this? (the funny growing angle)
Is it due to too much sun?

IMG-20190512-202227.jpg

IMG-20190512-202344.jpg

Soldato
Thanks @Armageus. Will turn them every morning the next few days and see how they go.

They'll be going in a greenhouse (mesh not glass) on the Weekend so hopefully should be ok then. One or two of the basket of fires have 2/3 roots poking through the bottom of the pots (Black pots on left in 2nd picture).. So may be due to go to bigger pots soon than the others.

Caporegime
How do people regulate the temperature in their greenhouses?

My plants are now far too big for my grow tent and already producing fruit so I need to move them out in to the greenhouse.

Put a thermometer out there last night and it got down to 13 degrees over night but up to 46 this afternoon. Even with the vents open it's only dropped a few degrees and I don't have any power out there.

Soldato
How do people regulate the temperature in their greenhouses?

My plants are now far too big for my grow tent and already producing fruit so I need to move them out in to the greenhouse.

Put a thermometer out there last night and it got down to 13 degrees over night but up to 46 this afternoon. Even with the vents open it's only dropped a few degrees and I don't have any power out there.
My first year at it but I reckon hot temperatures are fine surely? They do OK in hot countries so no different surely?

With regards to bottom end, I've been curious of the same and people seem to say as long as it is not frosty, they'll be fine.

Caporegime
Yeah, I read frost will kill them but we're hopefully past that stage of the year now.

I've also read you ideally don't want them to drop below 15 degrees or get any higher than 35 because they shut down and stop growing or something.

Soldato
Yeah, I read frost will kill them but we're hopefully past that stage of the year now.

I've also read you ideally don't want them to drop below 15 degrees or get any higher than 35 because they shut down and stop growing or something.
I'd say 10c minimum from my experience

Caporegime
Ah right I didn't know this bit.

Haven't you got a window or door you could open?
I've got two windows in the roof as well as a vent on the eastern side but I think I need something on the opposite side to aid air flow and cooling.

Thermometer had cooked by the time I looked in the greenhouse this morning and took ages to cool down and start working again.

Now ordered some shading paint and am looking to replace a pane of glass with a vent.

I've also moved the 6 smallest plants in to the window sill and kept the remaining 5 in the grow tent until I can sort out the greenhouse.

Back
Top Bottom