Terminator: Dark Fate

Associate
It appears to be a metal endoskeleton covered by nanobots.

Only problem is, the Genesis version got the better vfx on it during trailer time. I hope they really do up the vfx on it if it is supposed to be the Nanobot/Nannites from Genesis, otherwise it's gonna look really out of place once you see it on the big screen.

Soldato
Yeah dont worry about the trailer.

For what its worth though, the animation is liquid. I thought it was nanobots at first as well but that's definitely liquid on closer inspection. Looks fine personally, worse is the part where he jumps off the bonnet and throws the spear; the movement is just wrong and you can see it's all CGI. But meh again, just a trailer lol

Caporegime
OP
Only problem is, the Genesis version got the better vfx on it during trailer time. I hope they really do up the vfx on it if it is supposed to be the Nanobot/Nannites from Genesis, otherwise it's gonna look really out of place once you see it on the big screen.

The connor terminator only came along in later trailers much closer to release, so it was more polished in terms of effects. The director of the movie was apparently ****** off that the production company decided to spoil the movies big surprise in a trailer.

Soldato
Having thought a little longer about the previous Terminators in the now non-canon films vs those in this film -
  • The new Mexican Terminator is liquid metal over a metal endo-skeleton - Just like the T-X from Terminator 3
  • The new Hero Terminator is a Human/Terminator hybrid - Just like the T-H from Terminator Salvation
both of which seems a little "samey" to the films that have now been made non-canon. Also, I have some questions about the plot lines for this film -
  • Who is the girl/brother that need saving going to be in the future?
  • Why has human resistance (we suppose) sent back a T-H to protect them rather than a human?
  • Where is John Connor and why hasn't an enemy Terminator been set back for him rather than the girl - possible retcon where the girl is the "new" Sarah Connor (whose child later becomes a human saviour) for a new franchise?
  • Since T2 stopped the original Judgement day that also stops all the pre-existing "John Connor in the future" stuff we saw in T1-2 so maybe John isn't needed now i.e. a new "JC" is needed for a new future?
  • The new T-H doesn't know who Sarah Connor is so does that suggest a different future timeline where Sarah/John Connor isn't important any more?
  • How did Sarah Connor know exactly where to be with a bunch of weapons at exactly the right time to take out the new Mexican Terminators?
  • I wonder how the "new" future judgement day happens after T2 stopped the original one?
I'm a massive Terminator/Predator/Aliens "expanded universe's" fanboy so, while I'm excited for the film, I wonder how much retcon'ing will be taking place and, if there is some, how much that'll effect my enjoyment of the current expanded universe?

Caporegime
OP
but again, how could this pass through the time device? it needs the field of a living organism.

There was an explanation for the t1000 from the visual effects guy in t2 about this, could also apply to the other terminators.

That idea (flesh cocoon) was one we had bandied about during pre-production, but it was something that we thought would be too confusing to show visually it would have been like when Brett finds the shed alien skin in Alien. I still think it's the most logical explanation, given we see a flesh "mold" in the teaser trailer already. The other possibilities are that 1) the T-1000 could mimic the field generated by a living organism or 2) Reese really does NOT know tech stuff. Note that several comics and other media later played off the idea of surgically embedding weapons into human carriers and ripping them out of them once they arrived

Originally there was suppose to be a scene showing officer Joe Austin finding the skin. it was something that we thought would be too confusing to show visually it would have been like when Brett finds the shed alien skin in Alien

Soldato
reese was a sergeant in Tech-com, i think he'd have a working knowledge. as for not showing the cocoons, i can't recall having seen anything like that in the scripts, which i would assume the pre-prod discussions would be based on. whatever, the other excuses seem to belittle the knowledge the T fans have; i personally think they would have twigged no problem, if it had been shot right.

Caporegime
OP
reese was a sergeant in Tech-com, i think he'd have a working knowledge. as for not showing the cocoons, i can't recall having seen anything like that in the scripts, which i would assume the pre-prod discussions would be based on. whatever, the other excuses seem to belittle the knowledge the T fans have; i personally think they would have twigged no problem, if it had been shot right.

Well that's straight from the mouth of someone who worked on the movies and was involved in sequences, with a better idea of what was going on than most. Three reasons of why\how the liquid metal terminators can time travel, and any one can be feasible. They do say in t2 the t1k is made of mimetic poly alloy so presumably it mimicking a human field to get where it needs to go is the most plausible.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can we just have a modern terminator film that doesnt use the gimmick of them being invincible x2??

Seriously they are powerful enough as it is with the liquid regen, why do they need to add more stuff to them to make them even stronger.

Honestly though this movie is all about Linda for me, and she looks ******* more badass than I could have dreamed of.

Caporegime
OP
What really baffles me about the Terminator franchise is they have never properly explored the most obvious option, the future war. One of the producers on Genisys said that online opinion was people wanted to see the future war so they did the biggest future war sequence out of all the movies. So if that was online opinion why not base the entire movie around that? Salvation sort of done the future war but it was very different from the flashback sequences, plus the movie barely had any terminators at all.

Just find it hard to understand why they insist on going back to the modern day setting, as invariably comparisons will be drawn with T2. A proper future war movie could give them far more options than the movies have done to date, yet for whatever reason they keep going back to this modern day setting. Suppose its possible that if this movie is a success the next one will take place in the future, remains to be seen.

Soldato
Future war was covered pretty often in the tv series if you watched that. I think if I remember correctly John ends up going to the future in the season 2 finale before it got cancelled.

I agree though it's often the most interesting stuff that the movies tend to skip over.

Caporegime
OP
Future war was covered pretty often in the tv series if you watched that. I think if I remember correctly John ends up going to the future in the season 2 finale before it got cancelled.

I agree though it's often the most interesting stuff that the movies tend to skip over.

Yeah they done some of it in the tv show, pretty low budget and it would look much better as part of a movie. That show was doomed from the start, it barely got renewed for a second season, for every 2 or 3 decent episodes there were several boring filler episodes with virtually nothing happening. The writers just seemed to pad out the story far too much and ratings dropped like a stone.

You could have easily covered season 1 and 2 with about 20 episodes instead of the 31 they put out.

Permabanned
sorry, didn't read the line about a time limit on your previous post.

Aha tbf there wasn't one, just expected Avatar and Titanic to be givens. Did critics even look kindly upon Avatar? Been so long now that I canne remember it being anything other then fawned over by so many.

Soldato
What really baffles me about the Terminator franchise is they have never properly explored the most obvious option, the future war. One of the producers on Genisys said that online opinion was people wanted to see the future war so they did the biggest future war sequence out of all the movies. So if that was online opinion why not base the entire movie around that? Salvation sort of done the future war but it was very different from the flashback sequences, plus the movie barely had any terminators at all.

Just find it hard to understand why they insist on going back to the modern day setting, as invariably comparisons will be drawn with T2. A proper future war movie could give them far more options than the movies have done to date, yet for whatever reason they keep going back to this modern day setting. Suppose its possible that if this movie is a success the next one will take place in the future, remains to be seen.

Could be that people in Hollywood are just trying to do the same thing over and over, as that worked so well in the first two films; a chase film with a lone terminator trying to kill either Sarah or John with one lone hero trying to stop that happening.

We often hear that there is no originality in Hollywood any more, so I suppose it's no surprise for the most part, they just rehash ideas. Kudos to McG et al, for trying something different. Shame that they weren't really good enough to make the film better than it was.

Back
Top Bottom