Magic the Gathering (MtG)

Soldato
I played for the first time at the weekend .The local store had a new players thing on. I think I was the only new player but there was still a room full of people playing. They give me 2 two ready to play 30 card decks so 60 in each pack for free which I thought was good. I got shown how to play by my partners brother, he goes to European events etc. Despite playing a little slow as I had to read all the cards sometimes a couple of times I really enjoyed it. I played for a couple of hours before I had to head off.
Think I'll probs keep playing the game as they were playing a 4 player game and it looked highly competitive. I'm getting some more cards that my partners brother doesn't need too. Also grabbed the game on android but I do find it harder to work out the deck on that.

Any tips from you guys for beginners

Soldato
Can't really offer any tips, new player myself, circa 12 games played but the only one thing I will say is this. Don't get tied up in Meta, play for fun and just enjoy it. I went to my local gaming place on Friday and was taught some finer details of the game by the newly crowned store MtG champion from last weekend I lost 5 games against him using my pre-built duel decks. It was fun and eye opening too. learnt so many new things.

Associate
There is no denying it's a great game,Played it for a few years ago before discovering other games. It's the sales model which i'm not keen on. why i play Dominion instead :)

The MTG steam games are worth a look, great way to learn the game

Soldato
How do you mean the sales model? I've got the magic 2015 game on my phone which is pretty good. not to easy to sort my deck on it as it would with normal cards though.

Soldato
Does anyone have any recommendations for pre-made decks?

I used to play this a lot as a kid, still have loads of old cards back at my mums as well which I need to move down. But I sold loads of the rare cards when I stopped playing and broke up decks etc, the majority will be loads of vintage and mismatched ones.

Associate

I used to play this a lot as a kid, still have loads of old cards back at my mums as well which I need to move down. But I sold loads of the rare cards when I stopped playing and broke up decks etc, the majority will be loads of vintage and mismatched ones.

What format are you looking to play - standard or any 60-card constructed or EDH/Commander (100 card deck)?

Soldato

There could be some valuable cards in there. I'd get hold of them if I were you!

Pet Northerner
Don
There could be some valuable cards in there. I'd get hold of them if I were you!

Agreed, I've been downsizing my collection recently and have been able to make a few hundred off a few modern / legacy cards.

Shame I got rid of the bulk of my vintage to clear uni debts 15 years ago. I almost cried when I totaled up just the land base I used to own lol

Associate
I almost cried when I totaled up just the land base I used to own lol

I regularly cry when I see things like Lions Eye Diamond and Mox Diamond for sale at 20x what I sold them for and rising. Let alone thinking back about the old dual lands which I never had, but could have had loads of for £4-5 at the time.

Pet Northerner
Don
I regularly cry when I see things like Lions Eye Diamond and Mox Diamond for sale at 20x what I sold them for and rising. Let alone thinking back about the old dual lands which I never had, but could have had loads of for £4-5 at the time.

I'm about the same, I had 4 of each duel land (4 BB underground sea), 4 gaeas cradle, 4 mox diamond, 4 lions eye diamonds, a mox pearl, library of alexandria, 4 of each of the original fetch lands as well as a bunch of vintage like moat, abyss etc

But I needed to clear debt back at uni in the early 2000s.

Nowadays I'd have a house deposit lol

Soldato
I'm about the same, I had 4 of each duel land (4 BB underground sea), 4 gaeas cradle, 4 mox diamond, 4 lions eye diamonds, a mox pearl, library of alexandria, 4 of each of the original fetch lands as well as a bunch of vintage like moat, abyss etc

Any suggestions on the easiest way to check the values of your cards?

Associate

That is pretty substantial. I don't feel so bad now ;)

Any suggestions on the easiest way to check the values of your cards?

If I had many cards of value, I would probably consider selling to bulk buyers now. You might get less per card, but by the time you pay auction fees, paypal fees, postage fees and factor in buyers who lie about card conditions or receiving cards at all, you may be better off or at least no worse off without the time, stress and hassle.

Pet Northerner
Don
That is pretty substantial. I don't feel so bad now ;)

Hindsight is always 20/20 hahaha

I obtained them all cheap, since I'd been playing since revised. I miss them more because I like them and probably wouldn't part with them now if I still owned them. But needs must and it was cardboard vs being able to eat during a really rough time being out of work.

Soldato
Just starting out at the mo, awaiting for Eldraine to come before I get a couple of boosters/boxes. Looks interesting, and some very varied strategies with nothing seeming too overpowered, except for discard decks (ouch!).

I've gone mono-green, and usually nearly double my HP in the game, but suffer greatly from the aforementioned deck.

Back
Top Bottom