Building a garage

Soldato
I have put a basic model under this link https://skfb.ly/6KvNw

These models are really cool to see. Awesome effort for the OP!

Following this thread as am really tempted to replace my concrete prefab garage at some point. Currently the roof rafters are to low internally and I am torn between doing a rafter and roof replacement and just going the whole hog and tearing down and starting again.

The only problem being we probably went about things the wrong way around, we had the garden and driveway done last year and that would make garage slab removal and new foundation laying a complete ball ache.

Associate
Another vote for skipping the architect, work out what you want and get a architectural technician or structural engineer to work out the details.

Just a suggestion, if you're thinking of doing any car work in this garage, have a look into scissor bed lifts, I put in a couple in mine, they're amazing...

cHls9XX.jpg

This pair can lift a 3 ton vehicle 1.7m, and are flush to the floor when lowered. Not even particularly expensive, about £2k. When not covered in car, they make great heavy duty worktops. You of course need to plan your roof structure accordingly, I used two RSJs to support the structure, which double up as a crane.

Cost me ~£27k for 6x6.5m, not including the door and lifts.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Thanks for your replies guys,
@sdavlaws the model to the left would likely work ok, the one to the right with the large gables would be a bit intrusive both in our garden and in the neighbours IMO
Using SketchFab, is there a way I can use your file and modify it?

@Hamzter looks decent, got a pic form the outside, £27k though! Ooft, did you sub everything out then I assume?

Associate
@sdavlaws the model to the left would likely work ok, the one to the right with the large gables would be a bit intrusive both in our garden and in the neighbours IMO
Using SketchFab, is there a way I can use your file and modify it?

Not to my knowledge no, I just import a file into it to host the model for site teams. it sounds like the height of the roof is likely going to be your biggest governing factor. If you speak to your local truss suppliers most of them should be willing to do a few indicative drawings/prices for a few different options as your indicative floor plan and pitch description is far better than many drawings we get to design from (best garage footprint I ever had was on the back of a skirting board off cut), if you wanted to narrow down the appearance/style a little more before employing someone to do the formal planning/build drawings.

I could provide an IFC or OBJ copy of the model or a C.A.D/PDF version of the layout if you have anything you could edit them with, sorry my knowledge of 3D modeling software is limited outside the design tools I use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom