Keyboard need for gaming

Associate
After a new Keyboard mainly for gaming, currently using an old logitech g15 which has been kind to me however some of the keys are now needing to be pressed just a little harder than normal. Price is not an issue looking for quality above all.
please suggest something for me

thanks

Associate
Ive been using a Corsair K70 for a couple of years and I love it, but there are more expensive mechanical keyboards out there if you are willing to pay. The switches you choose are just as important and some are louder/clickier than others and some have less/more actuation levels so it would really depend on what your preference on those things are and then you can look at brands.

Associate
OP
thanks for the feedback, ideally i would like something that does not click overly loud when pressed but also does not need to pushed too hard.

Soldato
Im in the same boat
Logitech G510S has been my main keyboard for a short while, coupled with the G502 Mouse.
I bought the G.Skill 780 keyboard and Mouse from the MM about a year ago and after a play, I decided to keep to the Logitechs and about 3 or 4 months ago, I swapped to the GSkills so I could strip the Logitech down and give it a full clean and then like an idiot, I borrowed it to a mate, who then "Lost it" - Now an ex-mate cos I know he sold it for a tenner.
I have been using the GSKills and to be honest, I am not 100% happy. The number of times the full stop appears is ridiculous! - I cannot have one, I seem to press it 5 or 6 times ??? The mouse took some getting used to, and again, thats not the best mouse either, certainly not on par with the Logitechs. The single worst thing with the GSkill keyboard for me, is the Macros... I liked macros in certain games and the Logitech was flawless in how is swapped profiles for any games I play...... ( see, I only wanted one full stop ), and I have a disabled hand and so setting up Macros for the few games I can still play is important to me.

I recently grabbed hold of a MadCatz S.T.R.I.K.E 5 as my mate has been raving about his, and setting up Macros are nice and easy ( Not as good as Logitech, but, still good ) and I am wanting to give it a shot, but it does not fit well under the monitor stand, so I need to do some work on that.

Im looking however, and I have NOT tried Corsair, but I do have a corsair mouse that I use with my Windows Laptop and its great, if basic.

Associate
Had a K70 with silent reds and wasn't a fan of it. Was ok for gaming but kept having problems with keyboard chatter even after RMAing - seems to be a common problem. Switched to Browns on a Cooler Master keyboard and was much happier; clickier, but typing was so much nicer.

Associate
Keyboards are a difficult one, as asking on an enthusiast forum most will recommend mechanical keyboards... I'm one of those people too, but just saying!

Best bet is do what I did... go to PC world, have a go on the display models to see which key types you prefer. I've had Cherry keyboards in the past as my go to keyboards, but always black or blux MX switches, which at the time were great, but these days the noise and actuation force would drive me insane. I also didn't like the implementation of some of the cherry based keyboards as I felt the keycaps were too high. That left either razer or Logitech switches, and the latter I preferred from a noise, feel, comfort and aesthetics point (as the keys are lit in the caps, not underlit as I have a mech keyboard at work and the light bleed drives me nuts.

Soldato
And also it is vital to remember that paying more does not mean that you will get a better keyboard.

One of the best keyboards I have ever had cost me £20 and yet I am currently typing on a £200 one that is not very good, and I have a £270 one sat next to me cos Its absolutely rubbish, and under the unit next to me, is quite possibly £350-£500 worth of random keyboards that have some level of goodness to them, but are also costing way more than they are worth.

Same with my mice.

Associate
Personally advise you research the types of switches instead of individual boards, I for example love the Cherry MX Blue switches, but know they are not for everyone.

As such I use a Corsair Strafe with MX blue mechanical switch, which are a medium stiffness loud switch.

Generally speaking rubber dome switches are less precise but are quite and cheap.
Mechanical switches have varying stiffness and noise but are quite precise.
There are also laser actuated switches which feel lighter but are often very precise.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Corsair are a solid make but I wouldn't rate them as best in other categories. They are noisy. The software isn't as good as other manufacturers. Their lighting isn't so good. The font they chose for the keycaps is not so good for the lighting either. I am not saying "don't buy Corsair". What I am saying is that what is important to you should dictate the keyboard you get. There is no one great keyboard, they all have pros and cons. First decide what is important.

Permabanned
I love my Logitech G Pro Keyboard. Solidly built and Logitech Romer G keys are lovely!

I would sort of agree with that, it's an absolutely fantastic keyboard, but mine was a mere five months old when keys started falling off. A closer inspection and it turned out the romer-g keycps were breaking. Every single one had already lost at least one of the tiny plastic clips that hold them in place. This is really odd because my slightly older g810 did just fine, no problems there. It may well be just fine, logitech may have sorted the problem that affected mine, but keep an eye on those keycaps in case they start to fracture before the guarantee is up!

Associate
Im in the same boat
Logitech G510S has been my main keyboard for a short while, coupled with the G502 Mouse.
I bought the G.Skill 780 keyboard and Mouse from the MM about a year ago and after a play, I decided to keep to the Logitechs and about 3 or 4 months ago, I swapped to the GSkills so I could strip the Logitech down and give it a full clean and then like an idiot, I borrowed it to a mate, who then "Lost it" - Now an ex-mate cos I know he sold it for a tenner.
I have been using the GSKills and to be honest, I am not 100% happy. The number of times the full stop appears is ridiculous! - I cannot have one, I seem to press it 5 or 6 times ??? The mouse took some getting used to, and again, thats not the best mouse either, certainly not on par with the Logitechs. The single worst thing with the GSkill keyboard for me, is the Macros... I liked macros in certain games and the Logitech was flawless in how is swapped profiles for any games I play...... ( see, I only wanted one full stop ), and I have a disabled hand and so setting up Macros for the few games I can still play is important to me.

I recently grabbed hold of a MadCatz S.T.R.I.K.E 5 as my mate has been raving about his, and setting up Macros are nice and easy ( Not as good as Logitech, but, still good ) and I am wanting to give it a shot, but it does not fit well under the monitor stand, so I need to do some work on that.

Im looking however, and I have NOT tried Corsair, but I do have a corsair mouse that I use with my Windows Laptop and its great, if basic.

How do you borrow something to someone else ?
BOT - I've had a Ducky Shine and currently a Steel Series, both good.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Keyboards are very personal. My favourite are Logitech and Romer-g, except recently I had a very bad experience with one of those. I can conform though that the noise compared to Corsair is a lot less high pitched so it's far less annoying. The very fact that so many people buy O rings for Corsair should tell you something. I am about to try a Razer Chroma. Seem decent and the keys are quieter than a Corsair.

Back
Top Bottom