Noddy ATMOS question

Associate
Hi all,

Just ordered a new receiver so I'm a bit excited to use ATMOS/DTSX,

Now, do all blu ray players output the Atmos track via bitstream or do I need a "Atmos" rated player?

I currently have a Panasonic (HD) blu ray player, but I'm looking to upgrade to a 4k player. The Panasonic player I am looking at mentiones Dolby true HD and DTS master audio in the spec but no mention of Atmos.

Opinions much appreciated.

Regards

Jase.

Associate
You'll also need either up firing speakers or speakers in your ceiling as well as a new receiver to get the best out of Atmos.

Soldato
Hi all,

Just ordered a new receiver so I'm a bit excited to use ATMOS/DTSX,

Now, do all blu ray players output the Atmos track via bitstream or do I need a "Atmos" rated player?

I currently have a Panasonic (HD) blu ray player, but I'm looking to upgrade to a 4k player. The Panasonic player I am looking at mentiones Dolby true HD and DTS master audio in the spec but no mention of Atmos.

Opinions much appreciated.

Regards

Jase.

I can vouch for the Panasonic ub820. Does both Dolby vision and hdr10+ HDR dependent on which TV you have and what the disc you bought comes with. Has no problem outputting Atmos or DTS-X either

Associate
OP
XeNoN, I'm actually looking at the 820! Post payday I will get one ordered I think. (Looking at Panasonic as I have a Panasonic tv)

Hornetstinger,

My receiver at the moment is the let down (it's a 10 year old Yamaha rx-v673) I have a marantz sr7012 on its way.

Speakers I'm running are, Kef Q600 center, Q900 fronts, 4x iQ30 surrounds and 2x DIY Dayton audio um18 subs powered by berhenger inuke DSP 3000s.

I have a set of Kef eggs I am planning to use as height/Atmos (most likely in a 5.2.4, and loose one pair of the iQ30s at the sides)

I was just curious if my current Panasonic bd220 will bitstream the Atmos to the marantz in the meantime.

Regards

Jase.

Associate
OP
I can vouch for the Panasonic ub820. Does both Dolby vision and hdr10+ HDR dependent on which TV you have and what the disc you bought comes with. Has no problem outputting Atmos or DTS-X either

Hi XeNoN,

Have you used the Netflix app on the 820? Does it support HDR and Atmos as the app on my Panasonic tv doesn't.

Many thanks.

Jase.

Soldato
Hi XeNoN,

Have you used the Netflix app on the 820? Does it support HDR and Atmos as the app on my Panasonic tv doesn't.

Many thanks.

Jase.

Ive not tried as I use internal app on my LG c7 and won’t be able to now as I am away until next Monday. It seems some people can get Atmos and some can’t and seems inconsistent reading this thread. https://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-uhd-players-netflix-and-atmos.2194823/page-4. It should output HDR though, as this is an advertised feature.

Taken from the avforums review:

“As with the UB9000, the Netflix app shows all content as HDR10 or Dolby Vision – depending on whether the Dolby Vision setting in the menu is on or off. Conversely, the Amazon app correctly shows SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision content as it has been graded and encoded. Panasonic claim that this is a Netflix requirement, but if so it makes no sense to me and is detrimental to the image quality of SDR content.

When I connected the UB820 directly to my LG C8, Jack Ryan on Amazon was in Dolby Atmos, but on Netflix the only option for its Atmos shows like Daredevil was a 5.1 soundtrack. Conversely, if I connected the player via my Arcam AVR850, I was then able to get Dolby Atmos from Netflix, but no longer able to get Jack Ryan in Dolby Atmos. I can only assume there are compatibility issues when it comes to Dolby Atmos on both Netflix and Amazon, but hopefully these will be addressed soon.”

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply.

I'm hoping it may be a "2 birds 1 stone" upgrade if I can access the better features via the BD player.

I have found an offer for the UB820 so looks like I will pull the trigger and hope the wife doesn't moan too much :)

Jase

Soldato
Worth noting that not all blu rays have an atmos sound track (not sure if 4k blu rays all do either).

Most 4k blurays I own tend to have either a Dolby Atmos or DTS-X sound track. Mostly Dolby Atmos. There are very few that lack it. I think those mostly have a DTS HD-MA sound track when it doesn't have either.

Back
Top Bottom