Living room Extension (single story)

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Slowly, starting to see some progress :)

Yesterday, the patio door was moved.

12.jpg

Then finally, the inside wall has started to come down.

IMG-2886.jpg

And the old patio door refitted.

IMG-2875.jpg

Soldato
you'll leave the sloped ceiling in the extension ? or that's pending - flattening it would help a seamless flow, or, you have to leave roof access ?

The bit of original wall on the left, entering the extension was not on the original plan ?

It would be interesting to see it with doors folded for maximum outside access.

Is the light being delivered into the original living room what you expected ... that's got to be difficult to assess beforehand - a function of window size / distance ?

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
you'll leave the sloped ceiling in the extension ? or that's pending - flattening it would help a seamless flow, or, you have to leave roof access ?

The bit of original wall on the left, entering the extension was not on the original plan ?

It would be interesting to see it with doors folded for maximum outside access.

Is the light being delivered into the original living room what you expected ... that's got to be difficult to assess beforehand - a function of window size / distance ?

We wanted a vaulted ceiling, its hard to see from the picture, however its a really nice feature. We explicitly wanted it sloping. I had hoped the ceiling would have been flush above the coving then going straight up.

Nope, something about not having the RSJ high enough. I am a little annoyed about it, but it does stop the room looking like a box extension.

When, its finished ill take a photo but with the doors folded it looks amazing. This week they are screeding the floors and plastering. The amount of light, is more than expected, it has completely opened up the living room. Honesty the size and light is hard to show via the photograph. When we are finished, ill get some proper photos done.

Nice :)

Cost so far or total expected?

Too much :(

Estimate - £21,000 but we are going to be close to £24 - 25 :( as i have added things like the garden, built in speakers, garden electrics etc. The mess up with the foundations also set up back £1,460

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Too much :(

Estimate - £21,000 but we are going to be close to £24 - 25 :( as i have added things like the garden, built in speakers, garden electrics etc. The mess up with the foundations also set up back £1,460

Yea. Extensions have become too expensive. You would think as one has the land, adding an extension would add more value to the house than you spent, but lucky to break even these days.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
As budget is running tight (due to all my extras) i had a go at laying and cutting the old slabs. Some of the cuts and joins are a little rough however, ill be getting a natural slate in the next few months.

600x600 slabs.. i am sure they will look fine as soon as i jet wash them.:(

Ct8OmwA.jpg

The back wall: i should have enough bricks left over for the pizza oven. As soon as the builders clean away the crap i can make a start. There is also another ton bag of decorative chippings arriving today to tidy things up.

I also make a small bench on the weekend (behind the wheel barrow) out of left over sleepers.

dm7sxG1.jpg

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Yea. Extensions have become too expensive.
This one has....

I have built a few extensions now, at a vastly lower cost to this, and out of expensive local stone with proper block interior construction.

The end result is looking OK from the pictures but there are some seriously weird details ranging from some strange design details through to plans being totally ignored (why get plans and then allow your builder to totally ignore them, it doesnt make sense?) and mismatching construction methods. The very high price is also confusing as someone very well versed in building.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
This one has....

I have built a few extensions now, at a vastly lower cost to this, and out of expensive local stone with proper block interior construction.

The end result is looking OK from the pictures but there are some seriously weird details ranging from some strange design details through to plans being totally ignored (why get plans and then allow your builder to totally ignore them, it doesnt make sense?) and mismatching construction methods. The very high price is also confusing as someone very well versed in building.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Unfortunately, I am not in the trade or have any family who are builders.

I work in an extremely niche business sector, I work extremely long hours and had taken comfort that I was paying for a reputable builder who offered a room standard finish. The query with the design plans block vs timber frame, even when I consulted with a third party they advised albeit against the design, timber frame would actually be warmer for us as to the way we have opened the room.

£2.1k per m2 for a ready to move in completely finished offering. Expensive, but I took comfort in the fact that there was would very little lift or stress from my end.

Overall, i would probably not use this builder again. However, that does not mean he has done a bad job.

The building inspection company i have used, have also been really good. For example, yesterday the pitch of the room is 10.8 degrees. They tiles the builder has used are only suitable to 11 . They are making the builder replace all the tiles with some special low profile tile (at his cost). I guess these are some of the ramifications of him not following the design plans exactly.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The most confusing element is the question of why was the design ignored? Why did you commission technical design and drawings only to ignore them? I don't follow this at all. Some of the design is odd, why are the steels installed ~2 exterior courses too low as to require boxing in for example, why is the pillar on the left still there, that really should have been engineered out.

Anyway, apologies, i dont mean to rain on the parade, you'll end up with the result and it all looks very neat and as though it'll end up nicely finished :)

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
The most confusing element is the question of why was the design ignored? Why did you commission technical design and drawings only to ignore them? I don't follow this at all. Some of the design is odd, why are the steels installed ~2 exterior courses too low as to require boxing in for example, why is the pillar on the left still there, that really should have been engineered out.

Anyway, apologies, i dont mean to rain on the parade, you'll end up with the result and it all looks very neat and as though it'll end up nicely finished :)

No, i appreciate the honest feedback. This is partly down to me putting a lot of trust in the builder. The technical design and drawings, i was told was needed for the submission of lawful development. Looking back, i could have got something a lot cheaper with a lot less specification and still passed the council requirements.

Regarding the exterior course too low, i was told this was because of the RSJ, they would have needed to move it up further and as such there is a window in the way. We have a window in the middle of the house, as we walk up the stairs. I do however agree, this should have been engineered out. Not knowing **** about this, the builder could be telling me anything and i would in theory have to take it at face value :(

Associate
Could you try and get a reduction in the price as you havent got what you asked for? If that left hand wall was not in the original designs I would be pretty annoyed that is was still there as in my opinion it greatly affects the usable space of your extension (posistion of furniture etc.).

Great job on the garden I think that looks really nice.

Soldato
now seeing the downpipe+metal grate, was there a soakaway ? I doubt it's connected into the sewers ... did they need to protect the edge of the block foundations

Soldato
Our extension is about finished now. Plasterer finished rendering the outside today since the rain had previously stopped all that.

I also had some questionable decisions from my builder but overall I am happy enough. The price I paid seemed reasonable but I do think they have a different mentality to the rest of us!.

Mine has internal dimensions of 5.2m x 3.7, has a massive lantern, a fibreglass roof and cost me around 1700 per sqm inc vat. They also had to put in a soakaway 5m from the house.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
now seeing the downpipe+metal grate, was there a soakaway ? I doubt it's connected into the sewers ... did they need to protect the edge of the block foundations

Yes, they needed to drill around the entire extension at the cost of the builder. They then fitted aco's all around. We have a soakaway in our garden as we do not pay surface water fees.

No protection needed as we had a raft foundation and had enough spare edge to strip back. It took them 2 days as it was c40 concrete.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
The garden is now (more or less) complete. Minus, replacing the patio for something decent and getting tidy garden furniture. I cant believe the price on decent furniture :(

QQkuSA9.jpg

DbasxCR.jpg

5c1AxgT.jpg

The outdoor lighting system has also been installed. At night, the whole garden is nicely lit, it looks really nice. Awaiting delivery of 2 rock Bluetooth speakers.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd be tempted to lay another row of pavers outside you door purely so that if it's open you don't have to step off (I plan on doing something similar, however our extension is on grass so mire useful to have an extra row).

Soldato
Looks good! Hopefully the extra space inside will make it all worthwhile.

If the budget is tight, why on earth are you spending £300 on some dodgy outdoor speakers? Just open your new patio doors and play music from inside! £300 is a good chunk out of some new patio furniture or a really good BBQ setup. Not my money to spend I guess...

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Well, things have not gone to plan. Long story short, we have kicked the builder out and refused to let him finish due to poor workmanship. We provided him with several chances to put things correct, and each time he did just as bad.

We are looking at small’s claims court to try recoup some of the costs it will take to fix his mistakes, plus new floor, new slabs etc :(. The builder come highly recommended, however, everyone is shocked by his work on this job.

It was my mistake, I should have held more money back with only around £1,000 left to be paid. I am refusing this.

The quality drastically went downhill over the past few weeks. We started notice things like all the window reveals being out, like massively to the eye level. I.e. 18-25mm out from top to bottom including a bowed wall. We could literally rock a spirit level back and forth on the walls.

We had a phone call to tell us the screed floor was not level and floor was uneven when laid (I was currently away). It would cost us another £420 to get things level. After arguing, we - his second attempt was also not level. The floor had now been up twice. A third time he agreed to liquid screed, I am still not happy with the floor and because it’s been up so many times, it’s now damaged - one example below.

The building inspector is also not happy in the fact that he has used the wrong tiles on the roof, the roof pitch is like 12 degrees or something, and the tiles used are only suitable down to 12.5 degree (estimate). He will not sign off until they are replaced.

I could go on and on, about the issue we have had the last few weeks. However, I guess ill show some photos to give you an idea .

nir7ux8.jpg

iv8Pgkt.jpg

vygr4o6.jpg

our level floor, i could fit my hand under the gap.
iaNTbC7.jpg

The door and wall is way out!
4TgyiH6.jpg

8rZpl2a.jpg

Fitting of door.

our floor! soooo dangerous.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom