Next door.. CCTV... Invasive?

Soldato
OP
If your Mrs isn't into also walking around the garden half dressed then I don't know why it would bother you, if anyone breaks into your house or back garden your neighbour has CCTV for you
I think my main issue, was that they didn't ask. Something they legally should have done

Soldato
Yes, I fully expect he will not be watching me. That's not the point. It has implications with GDPR.
If he has an issue and police need to see the footage, he would have to get my approval to do so if I am caught on camera. GDPR is a mine field.

If you’re concerned about the ramifications of gdpr, I’d suggest moving on with your life. In your op you said you felt it was invasive, if that’s how you feel talk to them about it.

To answer the question in op, it is perfectly reasonable to expect privacy in your own garden without having the neighbour recording you, even though most likely it isn’t the intent, it’s still something I wouldn’t want to experience myself

Edit: I see you just said above you now think the main issue is that they didn’t ask you, welp, this is starting to make something out of nothing.

Soldato
OP
If you’re concerned about the ramifications of gdpr, I’d suggest moving on with your life. In your op you said you felt it was invasive, if that’s how you feel talk to them about it.

To answer the question in op, it is perfectly reasonable to expect privacy in your own garden without having the neighbour recording you, even though most likely it isn’t the intent, it’s still something I wouldn’t want to experience myself

Edit: I see you just said above you now think the main issue is that they didn’t ask you, welp, this is starting to make something out of nothing.
It's not nothing though it is.

It has ramifications which they haven't thought about.

I will pop over and have a chat. We get on well, have done for over a decade.

Caporegime
If it can see right in your garden, then yes, it’s a bit off imo. My ring doorbell covers my neighbours front door as well and I was a bit worried about that, but they’re cool with it, but I certainly wouldn’t put up a camera that covers neighbours gardens. Never in a million years.

You’ll be thankful though if burglars come through your garden and he’s got their mugs on camera.

Problem is with my garden, in order to cover it, my cctv ends up seeing into both my neighbours gardens

V F

V F

Soldato
Problem is with my garden, in order to cover it, my cctv ends up seeing into both my neighbours gardens

Some really has terribly wide FOV. You think you're pointing at a certain area and it's covering 70% of your wall of the house.

Point it where it actually covers (live adjusting via phone app) and it looks as if the camera is pointing at the neighbours.

Soldato
I had some cctv fitted and got some advice from police at time for do and don't, the camera must be focused on his property/boundrey it should not have full on views of a neighbours house, garden private areas etc

Soldato
I have cctv cameras fitted to the house and they are specifically not focused on anyone elses property. All I can see of the next doors garden is my fence and the hedge row on the other side.

You need to ask your neighbour if his camera can see in your garden and if it can, can he move the camera focus.

I would approach your neighbour in a friendly way as its more likely than not that he doesn't realise the privacy issues for you, and he might even think his camera is protecting your yard too.

Soldato
There are loads of legal issues with CCTV. Been through this at work :/

If you don't want to make it difficult, don't have someone someone else's property in view and don't record sound. Data protection applies to everyone, not just businesses.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I'd feel a bit weird about having someone else's camera covering my garden. I'd ask politely if they'll move it unless you already know they'll react badly. Or get a really bright floodlight and angle it toward the camera to render it completely useless at night until pointed somewhere else.

Soldato
Ask him if your garden is masked off from capture.

No doubt you won't object if you're burgled and he had footage...

I would also be surprised if your neighbour has nothing better to do than sit and trawl through footage of you half dressed in your garden :o

Back
Top Bottom