Associate
so my current system is
asus extreme 4 gen 3 motherboard
i5 3750 k oc to 4.6gh under water cooling
16g corsair vengence ddr3 ram
4tb of various hdds
and 256gb samsung ssd
gtx msi 1070
just got a rift s and noticed some games lag a fair bit even on lower settings, which is a pain being as i mostly play rythem games.

i had a vive before and while i noticed the lag i played through it but on the rift s my cpu barely meets minimum requirements.
i dont want to spend too much but possibly £400-£500 on a new mobo, cpu and ram. ive had this set up since 2011 apart from the gpu so think its about time i upgrade. Id like to know if a i7 3770k would be a worthy upgrade or if its worth just going for a new build save wasting money on just a cpu then upgrading a bit later.
any info or links are great thank you

Soldato
You need to hang on for another 8 weeks for Zen 2 - and your budget will be enough. It would also be a system/upgrade that will last you years - judging from your present spec.

Soldato
Or keep an eye out on the MM, there’s an 8700K and Mobo going for about £365, I’ve got a similar setup and it’s lovely on my Ocus Rift with a 1080. I built most of my system (in sig) from the MM, for about £2k less then retail. Full custom loop, the lot.

You’re not that many posts from access, and it’s a real boon that we’re incredibly lucky to have. I buy from OCUK whenever I can, but the current market disgusts me if I’m being candid.

That being said, I don’t doubt the new Ryzen kit will be excellent, and good value for money. If I were in the market for a new system, I’d be damned excited.

So whilst the above advice is most definitely sound, I’d you can get access to the MM, and you’re willing to be a little patient, you could get a cracking little system for your budget. You can reuse your watercooling kit and just pick up blocks if you need them. Got all mine from the MM.

Back
Top Bottom