**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Man of Honour
I see what you mean, had a level 100 glowing Grafton monster. Only 3 of us there though so, yeah... got flattened.

There's some degree of amusement value in Bethesda's descriptions of the two new areas:

The Burrows is described as being very tough, designed for a party of high level players. It can be soloed in 10 minutes by a single high level player. The Whitespring golf club and chalets area is harder and that's routinely used as an easy farming location.

Arktos secret lab is described as being at most moderately tough, with nothing more than a warning that a low level player will find it daunting. It's far harder and doing the event in full requires at least a dozen high level players as you have to guard 3 creatures in different areas simultaneously against swarms of high level mobs and then there's the L100 glowing 3* legendary end boss.

Are Bethesda trolling? Or is communication so poor that the people writing the descriptions aren't told what the content actually is and are just winging it?

Soldato
There's some degree of amusement value in Bethesda's descriptions of the two new areas:

The Burrows is described as being very tough, designed for a party of high level players. It can be soloed in 10 minutes by a single high level player. The Whitespring golf club and chalets area is harder and that's routinely used as an easy farming location.

Arktos secret lab is described as being at most moderately tough, with nothing more than a warning that a low level player will find it daunting. It's far harder and doing the event in full requires at least a dozen high level players as you have to guard 3 creatures in different areas simultaneously against swarms of high level mobs and then there's the L100 glowing 3* legendary end boss.

Are Bethesda trolling? Or is communication so poor that the people writing the descriptions aren't told what the content actually is and are just winging it?
Communications are very poor between the 4 teams for instance PC patch size said 1Gb it was 8.48GB big difference LOL they cannot even get the basics right! You have about a 1 in 50 chance of getting the Stimpack diffuser for the pioneer challenge badge its going to take a lot of events :(

Soldato
Hi
I know there are no NPC's at the moment who we can get onside to help, have Bethesda mentioned if it is on the roadmap at all for us luddites who still like single player games but would like to fight the big bosses?
Thanka

Soldato
I just join events when I see them pop up. Eg sheepsquatch, SBQ.

I’ve killed them both lots of times and only play solo (obviously not killed them solo! Just not teamed up).

I’m hoping/ expecting the new Arktos one to be the same?

Man of Honour
Easiest bit about the Arktos boss we experienced was that he was too large to fit through some double doors, so we stood outside pumping rounds into him while the grafton monster flailed uselessly.

The sudden swarm of level 60ish glowing Yao Gui was the real kicker.

Soldato
Had a VERY unpleasant PvP experience in survival mode...

A guy was hiding in a building and because I was #1 on the server could see me on the map.

When he heard I was close by, he taunted me over voice that I wouldn't find him.

I did (reticle revealed him cloaked) and I killed him.

He came back and I killed him again.

He released a torrent of abuse about how I was using a "OP" explosive weapon (I wasn't - I was testing a one star non-explosive heavy gun) and that he had my IP and would hack me blah blah...

He came back, so I killed him AGAIN, and then AGAIN.

Eventually he killed me and then warped to my camp.

The next day I saw him on the same server and he continued to travel to my camp wreaking havoc before killing himself - he did this multiple times.

Very strange and very unpleasant.

Anyway - one thought I had for improving PvP would be this:

1) Double the health of all players.
2) Double the damage that non-player enemies do.

Surely this would be a simple fix to the constant one-shotting issue that plagues PvP right now? Surely that would at least make PvP battles last a bit longer, rather than being the "whoever shoots first, wins" scenario?

Man of Honour
Hi
I know there are no NPC's at the moment who we can get onside to help, have Bethesda mentioned if it is on the roadmap at all for us luddites who still like single player games but would like to fight the big bosses?
Thanka

No, it isn't on the roadmap. There is no sign of any intention to ever have any NPCs that you can interact with in any way other than trading and/or quest-giving.

What often happens is that >1 person turns up for an event. They remain playing SP, but individually work towards the same goal. For the previous big bosses (Scorchbeast Queen and Fake Sheepsquatch), every player in the gameworld gets a message appearing onscreen when the event is underway. As a result, everyone who wants a go teleports in. The usual result is 5+ people fighting the big boss simultaneously, but each playing as SP or possibly with 2 or 3 working together and the other playing SP. If the event is completed, every player present gets the event reward. Every player who does more than a little damage to the boss can loot the corpse. Corpse looting is instanced seperately for each player, both inside and outside of events. So if, for example, 10 players turned up to fight the fake sheepsquatch, all of them playing SP with chat off and thus no communication at all between them, and all 10 do more than a little damage to the fake sheepsquatch, all 10 will be able to loot the fake sheepsquatch's corpse without in any way affecting what loot any of the others get from doing so. That's also true in routine play. If, for example, a newbie was fighting a Yao Guai and getting repeatedly killed by it while slowly doing little damage to it because they were woefully underpowered for it (which can very easily happen outside of the Forest zone) and I wandered past and killed the Yao Guai, both of us would get the XP for it, both of us would be able to loot the corpse and both of us would get the loot we would have got for killing it alone.

If the Arktos event triggers a worldwide alert like the SBQ and fake sheepsquatch events, I expect the same thing will happen.

Soldato
That is my favourite design (apart from full on narrative single player with NPC's etc with coop option) am really looking forward to getting into this. I am not into organised play with randoms but happy to chip in and do my thing and help out. I suppose I can almost forget that they are real players and us all having our own drops means no fear of nicking all the loot or having it all nicked(like in borderlands)
It also means when in a group I don't have to spend all my time chatting to see if an item I have is something they need (but can still share if something stands out)

Last edited:
Soldato
Making loads of caps from my camp vending machines - need 3 now to fit everything in!

Also benfitting from buying 5mm rounds from others' camps as I also treated myself to a Bloodied Minigun (boy does it rip through ammo!).

With this build, it absolutely shreds everything - including players!

:D

Soldato
Making loads of caps from my camp vending machines - need 3 now to fit everything in!

Also benfitting from buying 5mm rounds from others' camps as I also treated myself to a Bloodied Minigun (boy does it rip through ammo!).

With this build, it absolutely shreds everything - including players!

:D
Made about 40,000 Caps from my 4 vending machines now :eek::p Not bad considering I was going to dump all the duplicate plans I have been selling!! Spent every single cap on buying more plans & materials for atoms challenges so its all gone straight back into the game economy ;)

Man of Honour
Well, I finally scrapped my adhesive farm and put vending machines in.

Thanks to the utter mess Bethesda deliberately made of camp building, I couldn't simply put a sloped roofing section on the side of my shed and put the vending machines there. So, frustrated, I built a second shed just for the vending machines. Which, of course, used up so much of my camp budget that I had to severely compromise lighting and decoration and somewhat compromise security. And I've just realised that I changed some windows to solid to try to get the roof to fit and didn't change them back. Bah! It's still not how I want it!

Anyway, Soloman's Shed now has a shop. It's a little north of Whitespring. Special deal - half price plans! Almost all my plans are on sale at half the recommended price. I've also, a bit reluctantly, put the best sniper rifle I've ever seen on sale and it's only 1000 caps. I'd use it, but I don't play sniper and probably never will. It's a fully modded instigating explosive pipe revolver rifle with extra accuracy in VATS. Even though I don't have rifle perks maxxed, its base damage is 194 for me. Add x2 for instigating plus bonuses for sneak attacks (which you'll probably have if you're playing a sniper) plus headshot bonus (shouldn't be a problem when sniping) and the damage is quite silly. Also, you get 5 shots between reloads so you can handle a group of mobs with it. I wish I wanted to play sniper, really. There are some other legendary weapons in there, including a couple of Furious ones and a two shot combat shotgun that's perfect for when you're getting swarmed. I'd keep it, but I already have 3 legendary shotguns on my favourites wheel and wasn't really using it.

Please buy everything - I've just seen the cost of serum plans from the Enclave :)

Feel free to wander into my main shed and have a look around. I'm quite pleased with that part of my camp. I think I might move a vending machine into the lounge in my main shed and fill it with booze and food just for roleplay purposes. Not sure where, though. I tried it and it was slightly in the way of the dartboard.

I'm now debating buying a Furious 50 cal machine gun I saw on sale for 3000 caps. Furious automatic weapon should be a riot if I decide to respec to heavy weapons. But will I respec to heavy weapons? I don't know. I'm down to 5000 caps now and spending more than I'm making. Maybe because I'm scrapping all my legendaries for scrip apart from the few I'm using or might use. So far, I haven't had a single item from the purveyor that I'm actually using. Who knows how much scrip I've thrown away there. Although I did get that sniper rifle from her (as a pistol, but that's easily changed with a pipe gun).

Last edited:
Soldato
I fired up for the 1st time last night to have a game... And had an 8gb download so had to go to plan b).
Reading some of these posts it all sounds a bit daunting for those who have never played this kind of game before (setting up shops to make money etc)
Is it all self explanatory in game or does it involve using loads of external guides and whatnot ?
Also vending machines etc to make money.... Do we have to resupply then continually or do they passively restock?

Also is the money made from them purely from sales to other players or do they generate income passively over time?

Thanks.
(This genre is totally new to me so I am trying to learn abit before I start so I don't look back after 50hrs and learn I messed up and need to start again)

Man of Honour
I fired up for the 1st time last night to have a game... And had an 8gb download so had to go to plan b).
Reading some of these posts it all sounds a bit daunting for those who have never played this kind of game before (setting up shops to make money etc)
Is it all self explanatory in game or does it involve using loads of external guides and whatnot ?
Also vending machines etc to make money.... Do we have to resupply then continually or do they passively restock?

Also is the money made from them purely from sales to other players or do they generate income passively over time?

Thanks.
(This genre is totally new to me so I am trying to learn abit before I start so I don't look back after 50hrs and learn I messed up and need to start again)

Player shops are a very minor and completely optional part of the game. They're very far from being the kind of game it is. The focus is on them in recent posts solely because they're new and those of us who have done everything in the game focus on new content, whatever it is.

That said, I'll answer your questions:

Not much is explained in game. That's the Bethesda way. Player vending machines are close to self-explanatory, though. The interface is well done, surprisingly.

To set up a shop, build a vending machine in your camp and have power running close enough to it. Despite the power connector on the machine, it doesn't need a power connection. Power running close enough will do. Exit building mode and you can interact with your vending machine, labelled "sell". You'll get the usual vending menu but slightly differently labelled. When you select an item in either your inventory (on the left) or your stash (on the right) you'll have an option to put it in the vending machine for sale. You'll be asked how many (if you have a stack of more than 1) and then the price you want to offer it for sale at. Do that and it will be marked with a tag. It will be in your stash, taking up stash space, but also in the vending machine for other players to look at. You might want to build some directions pointing the way to your vending machine(s), if they're not obvious. I just stuck a pointing vaultboy cardboard figure showing the way. Does the job.

Vending machines don't passively restock. You have to resupply them when stuff is sold. Or not. It's up to you. You can leave them empty if you want. Or scrap them. Or not build any in the first place.

Money is made purely from sales to other players.

You can't really mess up with player shops. If your stuff doesn't sell, you've lost nothing. The only potential drawback with player shops is that they cause your camp to become visible on the map to all players and to become a fast travel point for all players. Visiting players may cause mobs to spawn that attack your camp. Visiting players may attack your camp. That's rare - most players aren't malicious enough to attack a camp and nothing is gained from doing so. It's also easy to fix your camp even if it's destroyed - just go to your CAMP device and select "repair all". It will take some resources, but you'll probably have them in your stash (which can't be robbed). If a visiting player does spawn hostile mobs, it's very likely that they will kill the mobs.

As for camps and hostile mobs, here's a word of advice - missiles. Missile turrets are far and away the best defences, much more so than the defence rating suggests. I had 3 heavy machinegun turrets and a heavy laser turret covering the track approaching my camp that all hostile mobs came along. The mobs always did some damage unless I was there to shoot them. One fast moving mob (a L50 glowing dog) made it into my camp and was wrecking it. I replaced them with 4 missile turrets. Usually only the first 2 fire, killing the mobs before they get within range of the other 2. A ~L60 supermutant managed to damage a turret tonight with a ranged attack. I was in my shed, a few metres away. By the time I made it out the door, I was just in time to see the supermutant being killed by 2 turrets. I didn't even get a shot off. Forget all the other turrets - missile turrets are what you want.

Soldato
I'm now debating buying a Furious 50 cal machine gun I saw on sale for 3000 caps. Furious automatic weapon should be a riot if I decide to respec to heavy weapons. .

I found an awesome calculator for damage here.

Last updated 20th April.

It looks like Furious v.s Bloodied (I have the latter currently) when at 20% health (generally what I run for Nerd Rage + Unyielding) gives the same damage after 16 hits, although every hit with Bloodied until that point has been better.

However, from 16 until 30 hits, the damage continues to ramp up on Furious until it's ~50% more damage per hit than Bloodied.

Interesting....

Soldato
I found an awesome calculator for damage here.

Last updated 20th April.

It looks like Furious v.s Bloodied (I have the latter currently) when at 20% health (generally what I run for Nerd Rage + Unyielding) gives the same damage after 16 hits, although every hit with Bloodied until that point has been better.

However, from 16 until 30 hits, the damage continues to ramp up on Furious until it's ~50% more damage per hit than Bloodied.

Interesting....
Trust me & my 1200 + hours playtime now ;) Agility-Adrenaline + 5 = 60% Extra DMG per kill & it refreshes every 30 secs forever as long as the kills keep coming :) that in combination with other perks & serums makes you dish some serious DMG out!

Soldato
Well, I finally scrapped my adhesive farm and put vending machines in.

Feel free to wander into my main shed and have a look around. I'm quite pleased with that part of my camp. I think I might move a vending machine into the lounge in my main shed and fill it with booze and food just for roleplay purposes. Not sure where, though. I tried it and it was slightly in the way of the dartboard.
Trying to find your camp now to see if I can buy something from your shop its not appearing even though I am on the same server you taken your shop offline for now?

Soldato
@Angilion
Thanks for buying those items I returned the favour & bought all your grape mentats ;)

One thing though your player vendor shop does not appear on the map at all you need to run at least 1 live power wire to the vending machine so it lights up green otherwise only people on your friends list can ever visit it when your home in the camp ;)

Back
Top Bottom