New camera advice

Associate
I currently have a Nikon D3100 which I use mainly for snapping cars outdoors at shows etc. - I've ever been happy with the end result, photos don't seem as sharp as they could be, which has put me off using it and I just use my phone instead.

A friend at work has just got a Sony RX10 iv, that he raves about, and this has got me thinking about changing mine.

There is so choice in the market and I've no idea if I want another DSLR, or a bridge or to go mirrorless. All I know is that I want something that will give me a better end result than I'm currently getting with the D3100.

So far, after having a quick look around, cameras that have caught me eye are; Sony A7 II, RX10 iv and Canon EOS M50

Which is best out of those three and what else should I be looking at?

TIA

Soldato
What lens do you currently have for your D3100? Poor lenses is what generally causes soft, unflattering images.

Don't just assume a different camera will get you instantly better results, you could have the best camera body on the market but couple that with a sub-par lens and you'll be back exactly where you started.

Sony A7 II - I'd save for the mark III. Just a far better overall camera.

The Canon M50 is a good camera but the lens range is fairly limited at the moment.

The RX10 IV is a 1" sensor camera with a fixed lens but it is a very good all-round camera. If you are used to having the ability to change lenses then you may want to reconsider.

Have you looked at the Olympus/Panasonic Micro Four Third range of cameras?

Also, Fujifilm's XT30 and XT3 are really good cameras to be looking into as well.

Soldato
The only reasons a D3100 would give soft results is a poor lens and/or poor technique. Can you post one of the results you're not happy with so we can have a look?

Soldato
If you want to photograph wide variety of things with minimum hassle, then RX10 IV is certainly capable camera with very nice zoom range.
But if you would want to also have jacket pocketable size, fixed optics isn't compatible with that.
It's basically comparable to DSLR with average wide zoom... and weights the same.
https://camerasize.com/compare/#722,3

Though most system cameras aren't very good at that either, especially film era format based.
Especially for 35mm sensor there's no way to make more compact lenses at general level.
Also it's better light gathering ability is usable only when able to afford shallower depth of field. (shorter in focus area)
Making focusing and control of aperture more critical.

Anyway don't see much sense in going for legacy floppy mirror.
It has some advantages, but in general all it does is prevent getting live exposure preview.
Having idea of what exposure looks like is usefull for getting better pictures when automatics gets it wrong.
Seeing effect of exposure compensation is also good for teaching you to start taking bigger control over pictures.

Mirrorless design also gives extra flexibility with in body stabilization helping with any lens.
Not that Canon would have proper mirrorless camera to take full advantage of possibilities of mirrorless digital age design.
Whole EOS M is basically just meant to distract buyers from systems of makers, who have already embraced possibilities of digital age.
Canon just stuck APS-C sensor and lens mount into controls at levels of IXUS body.
With little native optics SLR lenses are also mostly very big compared to it.

While designed for digital tech Four Thirds format allows even pancake normal zooms:
https://camerasize.com/compact/#633.409,3.36,ha,t
That could be carried in jacket pocket.
Of course there's choise in bodies to also more substantial ones.
And same for lenses with.

The only reasons a D3100 would give soft results is a poor lens and/or poor technique. Can you post one of the results you're not happy with so we can have a look?
Preferable with at least exposure EXIF data intact.

Soldato
To the OP.

What mode would you normally shoot in with your D3100? Auto, P, A, S or M?

What will you do with the images? i.e. post them on social media/internet or will you print them (and if printing, what's the maximum size you would print?)

Associate
OP
I was using the kit lens that came with the D3100
During my time with the camera, I tried all of the different modes.
I view the images on a 49" 4k tv.

Update:
Yesterday I went to Jessops, Meadowhall to see what was on offer. Fortunately both the Nikon and Sony reps were present so I was able to pick their brains (turns out the Nikon rep works as a freelance photographer for some of the car mags) and I ended up buying a Nikon Z6 with Z 24-70 F4 kit lens and p/ex the D3100 for which they gave me a fair price.

It's strange how things turn out as when I left the house yesterday morning the Z6 wasn't even on the radar.

The staff in Jessops were really helpful and I was able to compare shots taken in the mall with my D3100 and the Nikon/Sony cameras that I was interested in to help me make my mind up. The results from the Z6 and A7 iii were much better than the D3100 and I just preferred the handling and general use of the Z6
It will be next w/e before I actually receive the Z6, so I'll let you know my initial impressions and how I get on with it.

Many thanks to everyone that has participated in this thread and given me help and advice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom