Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
Having some time reflect on it, I think all the anger stems from the disappointment of what it could have been. There was a LOT of threads and story set up in 7 years that was not followed through in the end, simply forgotten, ignored or simply "resolved" in a single scene.

Like how they place huge importance into Jon's origin - came to nothing.
Jamie's redemption arc - totally threw that in the bin.
Cersie got an "easy" death. For all the brutality she handed out, I expected something on the level of her son with the poison.
Night King's threat was quite easily neutralised in the end and his entire backstory was left unanswered.
The Golden Company built up to be some huge force and just simply got toasted in about 2 mins.

Then they gave a lot of screen time to what his name pirate.
Too much time wasted on scenes and plot that went nowhere.

I would say, even before a single scene was shot, on paper this would read like someone who has no idea and just want to collect their paycheque asap and finish it off to move on to something else. They just either don't have the imagination to finish off what GRRM had set up for them and what we have is as far as their talent could lead them. It's like if someone was plagiarising a really well written thesis but the few chapters is missing. It will show clearly it wasn't written to the same standard.

Last edited:
Soldato
Best thing to come of this is that I'm now addicted to Screen Rant pitch videos!

"Super easy, barely an inconvenience" :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I had every intention of rewatching the whole series again, but after this debacle, can't be bothered.

I'd always be thinking of the rubbish that was to come at the finale.

Such a shame that the books weren't finished and the writing of the ending was left to incompetents.

Associate
That final season has virtually been memory-holed for me now as I move on with my life in empty indifference. If I make it to more senile years I may wonder what happened to that show with the dragons/the night king who knocked down the wall with his ice dragon, and whether they ever got around to finishing it.

Caporegime
Having some time reflect on it, I think all the anger stems from the disappointment of what it could have been. There was a LOT of threads and story set up in 7 years that was not followed through in the end, simply forgotten, ignored or simply "resolved" in a single scene.

Like how they place huge importance into Jon's origin - came to nothing.
Jamie's redemption arc - totally threw that in the bin.
Cersie got an "easy" death. For all the brutality she handed out, I expected something on the level of her son with the poison.
Night King's threat was quite easily neutralised in the end and his entire backstory was left unanswered.
The Golden Company built up to be some huge force and just simply got toasted in about 2 mins.

Then they gave a lot of screen time to what his name pirate.
Too much time wasted on scenes and plot that went nowhere.

I would say, even before a single scene was shot, on paper this would read like someone who has no idea and just want to collect their paycheque asap and finish it off to move on to something else. They just either don't have the imagination to finish off what GRRM had set up for them and what we have is as far as their talent could lead them. It's like if someone was plagiarising a really well written thesis but the few chapters is missing. It will show clearly it wasn't written to the same standard.

There’s a bit of a contradiction in much of the criticism of the last series. GOT is considered so good (as a series) in part because it’s more “realistic”. Good people die, things happen unexpectedly and quick deaths were relatively common - few drawn out fighting matches between two main characters followed by five minutes of talking while the action pulled before they died etc.

Regarding Cersies death, while “unspectacular”, it’s far more real than some kind of grand showdown. She prepared hard, she expected to win, was back footed and then lost everything. Much like on real life she then lost all nerve and ended up dying in a sad, miserable way.

Think of tyrants in real life. Saddam Hussein was found hiding in a hole in the ground, Osama Bin Laden was shot and dumped in the ocean, Hitler committed suicide. Most people don’t go out in some kind of blaze of glory, stoic until the end. That’s one of the things I liked about GOT. In fact that’s one of the reasons Clegainbowl annoys me far more than Cersies death. It was so un GOT like.

While Jon didn’t become king - which is where his arc could have gone after the reveal - “nothing came of it” is completely untrue. The entirety of season 8 was based around that reveal and was essentially the main reason Daenerys went down the rabbit hole she did. They were obviously in love at the end of the seventh season, but the reveal put a big hole in that, Jon withdrew from her (her trying to kiss him, only for him to withdraw being the most obvious examples of that), breaking her heart and creating distrust between them. The reveal to Sansa and Arya meant even more trust was lost, then she lost the trust in Varys and Tyrian because of it. They being the only two left after Missandrei was killed and Jon distances himself.

Basically, almost everything that happened to Daenerys was a result of that reveal. Perhaps if you (not you specifically, just in general) don’t realize that it may explain why Daenerys action at the end came as a surprise.

Jamie’s redemption arc was again more like real life. You can be in that path, but it doesn’t mean you end up continuing on it for the rest of your life. So many people end up falling back into their own ways, especially when love is involved.

I’m totally in agreement that I think it was rushed bough. All the good parts were there, it was just rushed so the fleshed our back story that GOT was also loved for was missing.

As said a few weeks ago, things like the NKs death should have been extended. Winter fell should have fallen but much of the army/characters could have fallen back in some way to fight again in another episode, but in reality that’s just personal preference, much like most of the complaints about the actions of specific characters.

Caporegime
There’s a bit of a contradiction in much of the criticism of the last series. GOT is considered so good (as a series) in part because it’s more “realistic”. Good people die, things happen unexpectedly and quick deaths were relatively common - few drawn out fighting matches between two main characters followed by five minutes of talking while the action pulled before they died etc.

Regarding Cersies death, while “unspectacular”, it’s far more real than some kind of grand showdown. She prepared hard, she expected to win, was back footed and then lost everything. Much like on real life she then lost all nerve and ended up dying in a sad, miserable way.

Think of tyrants in real life. Saddam Hussein was found hiding in a hole in the ground, Osama Bin Laden was shot and dumped in the ocean, Hitler committed suicide. Most people don’t go out in some kind of blaze of glory, stoic until the end. That’s one of the things I liked about GOT. In fact that’s one of the reasons Clegainbowl annoys me far more than Cersies death. It was so un GOT like.

While Jon didn’t become king - which is where his arc could have gone after the reveal - “nothing came of it” is completely untrue. The entirety of season 8 was based around that reveal and was essentially the main reason Daenerys went down the rabbit hole she did. They were obviously in love at the end of the seventh season, but the reveal put a big hole in that, Jon withdrew from her (her trying to kiss him, only for him to withdraw being the most obvious examples of that), breaking her heart and creating distrust between them. The reveal to Sansa and Arya meant even more trust was lost, then she lost the trust in Varys and Tyrian because of it. They being the only two left after Missandrei was killed and Jon distances himself.

Basically, almost everything that happened to Daenerys was a result of that reveal. Perhaps if you (not you specifically, just in general) don’t realize that it may explain why Daenerys action at the end came as a surprise.

Jamie’s redemption arc was again more like real life. You can be in that path, but it doesn’t mean you end up continuing on it for the rest of your life. So many people end up falling back into their own ways, especially when love is involved.

I’m totally in agreement that I think it was rushed bough. All the good parts were there, it was just rushed so the fleshed our back story that GOT was also loved for was missing.

As said a few weeks ago, things like the NKs death should have been extended. Winter fell should have fallen but much of the army/characters could have fallen back in some way to fight again in another episode, but in reality that’s just personal preference, much like most of the complaints about the actions of specific characters.

I hear you but I disagree with most of that.

You refer to real life but this is a fantasy story, there are dragons, witches and ice zombies....real life doesn’t come into it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still annoyed at how pathetic Khaleesi' death was, 8 seasons to see her go like that was disappointing.
Wasn't even that for me, it was never going to be an epic duel the death. The fact that it cut away 2 minutes later and turned into a SNL comedy sketch taking place weeks with barely a mention of Daenerys is what is completely unforgivable.

Caporegime
The reveal of Jon being Aegon was a complete and utter waste. According to almost everyone that disagreed with how Dany's character was ruined, she was "always gonna turn mad anyway". I'm sure the Jon thing didn't annoy her that much when she was already apparently Hitler 2.0 all along.

The best scene in the entire show was done simply to make Dany a bit jealous? Lol what a joke. What is this, Eastenders?

Caporegime
I just love the idea that the Unsullied and Grey Worm, having just murdered their way through a city and executed everyone, upon finding John having murdered Danny were like "well we better imprison you"

Soldato
The last episode was like watching a GOT spoof ripoff, especially when Sam suggested that the people vote and they all laughed.

I was like "wtf is going on here? What just happened!?!"

Last edited:
Soldato
I just love the idea that the Unsullied and Grey Worm, having just murdered their way through a city and executed everyone, upon finding John having murdered Danny were like "well we better imprison you"

Actually what happened is that upon the revelation of Daenery's killing, as per Dothraki code, Jon became their Khal, having killed the previous one. In the ensuing battle, Dothraki rushed to the aid of their new leader, engaging in a spectacular battle with the Unsullied in the ruins of King's Landing.

When the dust settled only a few Unsullied and Greyworm remained as Dothraki fought bravely to the last man, hence you never see them again. As they approached Jon to dish out a little justice for their fallen Queen, Ser Davos entered the scene, sword drawn and all. It was at this point they knew they couldn't overpower him and had no choice but to settle his punishment in accordance with the laws of the land.

Honestly it's all in there, D&D just kinda forgot about putting the scene into the episode.

Associate
D&D made much of what happened in prior seasons an absolute waste of time, and you are now one of the extreme minority of people without any good taste or critical judgement defending it. Even the die-hard defenders of D&D on Reddit are now all seeing sense and realizing how awful it all is.

Arya killing the NK, Dany turning, Jaime dying with Cersei, Jon rejecting his birth right and killing Dany. You do realise these aren't the show makers ideas right? You can hate the writing, directing, whatever but those major story points you seem to really hate aren't from them. They are GRRMs. But don't let that get in the way of your frothing.

Anyway, great video of Jons arc has just come out:

Back
Top Bottom