***Official Squad Thread***

Soldato
OP
Finally treated myself to this game, Been watching a lot of videos of it and couldn't resist anymore... Its gonna take me a while to learn the controls and be a good player but it seems very good from my first game....
If you need any tips/help then let me know. On holiday at the moment and looking forward to getting back into v13.

Soldato
It would be great to get a few games under my belt with the help from others as I am just running round trying to find enemy :p

Until you know what you are doing your experience will depend vastly on how good your squad lead is. I mainly got started by playing medic, it forces you to stick with the team and keeps you busy doing a simple task, because in the early days you tend to want to be "running round trying to find enemy" as you don't really understand what is happening.

Tip1. Check your map and work out your objective and what other squads are doing

Use the local voice chat to talk to people in quiet moments. You get some really good players on this game who will keep you immersed, be polite ask questions what is happening but know when to keep quiet and just follow orders when things get busy.

Tip2. Check your map and look for red markers where enemies might be

The game has a massive learning curve but is also rewarding in that you come away with more memorable moments than most online games.

Tip3. Check your map again.

Associate
Hey. Not played Squad in probably a year or so and have some questions about where the game is currently at, if someone could take time to answer some of them it would appreciate.

1. Has the movement/running etc been reworked yet ? Running always felt kinda broken and sluggish and almost felt like you were made of paper for lack of a better description... There's was no feeling of weight or motion like there is in Arma for example.

2. Do we have choppers yet ? If not is there are kind of estimated time frame when we might see them ? If Choppers do exist will it just be transport choppers or will we have attack choppers as well ?

3. How many maps are there now and is there more visual consistency between the maps ? For example some maps looked quite nice and detailed but then there were maps like Fallujah that to be blunt kinda looked like half arsed mod content and were graphically well below the standards of certain other maps.

4. Can you lock squads yet ? I know some people are funny about this subject as it kinda goes against teamwork but sometimes you just want to join a server and play with a few of your mates without randoms dropping into your squad and asking/expecting orders when all you're trying to do is to get to grips with the game.

5. Has freelook been improved ? Last time I checked it had just been added and it worked but was kinda ropey looking, for example when you looked past a certain angle to the left or right it felt like you were almost floating across the environment and that your head was almost detached from your body.

Soldato
You sure you got the right game, for starters Fallujah aint even out yet and is still in development, but all the screens i have seen are awesome, you sure your not on about Al Basrah ? if so that map is great also and my fav.

Associate
You sure you got the right game, for starters Fallujah aint even out yet and is still in development, but all the screens i have seen are awesome, you sure your not on about Al Basrah ? if so that map is great also and my fav.

Maybe im getting it confused with Al Basra then, im basically talking about whatever the big desert town/city map is... it's been in the game for yonks.

Fair enough if you like it, the layout etc is fine and I've had fun games on it but id have thought anyone could see the sizeable drop off in visual quality between it and some of the other maps. It just looks like its had minimal effort put into it relative to other maps... it's got this copy/paste vibe to it where it looks like lazy mod content rather than something professional devs would create. Maybe its been souped up in the last year though ?

I am a bit funny about games which are visually inconsistent though, if I was a dev id want every map to look like it had had the same amount of effort put into it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hey. Not played Squad in probably a year or so and have some questions about where the game is currently at, if someone could take time to answer some of them it would appreciate.

1. Has the movement/running etc been reworked yet ? Running always felt kinda broken and sluggish and almost felt like you were made of paper for lack of a better description... There's was no feeling of weight or motion like there is in Arma for example.

2. Do we have choppers yet ? If not is there are kind of estimated time frame when we might see them ? If Choppers do exist will it just be transport choppers or will we have attack choppers as well ?

3. How many maps are there now and is there more visual consistency between the maps ? For example some maps looked quite nice and detailed but then there were maps like Fallujah that to be blunt kinda looked like half arsed mod content and were graphically well below the standards of certain other maps.

4. Can you lock squads yet ? I know some people are funny about this subject as it kinda goes against teamwork but sometimes you just want to join a server and play with a few of your mates without randoms dropping into your squad and asking/expecting orders when all you're trying to do is to get to grips with the game.

5. Has freelook been improved ? Last time I checked it had just been added and it worked but was kinda ropey looking, for example when you looked past a certain angle to the left or right it felt like you were almost floating across the environment and that your head was almost detached from your body.

1. Latest movement changes:
  • Increased non-ADS standing movement speeds by 10%.
  • Adjusted 3P animation for movement speed.
  • Tweaked how ADS movement speeds work, so no matter which direction you go now you move at the same speed.
  • Shortened acceleration and deceleration speeds to make player movement a bit more responsive.
2. No, not yet. Transport helis will come first then attack helis later.

3. Currently 15 with more in development. Maps are continually receiving upgrades. Al Basrah (and Kokan) were originally made by modders and brought into the main game hence why they are not up to currently level of details. I believe Al Basrah is due a pass relatively soon.

4. Yes.

5. The floating when using freelook is still there. Much more important things to do before that gets touched again :)

Soldato
I need something to reignite my interest Squad. I've played a couple of matches since A13, but I feel like I'm falling out of love with the game. I am finding it more and more an exercise in frustration. I'm not sure why - the recent updates have made the game objectively better, added more content, and most importantly, the engine update has made the game much more optimised and therefore fluid and playable. But whereas I used to enjoy spending hours in the game, I now find myself getting annoyed at it when I spend half the match doing very little, and then die to an enemy I never see.

I did wonder if I'm not devoting enough time to the game, as it's definitely not something you can just drop into for a quick round. But I'm still spending several hours at a time in my other go to favourites (Rising Storm 2, Insurgency: Sandstorm), as I find those more satisfying in terms of gunplay. I think I've just had a bad few games of Squad, which has put me off wanting to commit more time to it at the moment, when I know generally I can instead play the other games and get more satisfaction from them.

It's a shame, because I love the game, but I just cant get into it at the time when it's improving massively :(

Soldato
OP
Yup it's not really a drop in game. No where near as fast paced as the two you mentioned even with the v13 movement changes. Are you squad leading? That normally solves the issue of being stuck in a squad who just want to super fob things and not get stuck in.

The best way is to find a server that suits you best and get to know their community and play regularly with them.

I'm personally in the other boat. V13 has brought me back to Squad more.

Soldato
Yup it's not really a drop in game. No where near as fast paced as the two you mentioned even with the v13 movement changes. Are you squad leading? That normally solves the issue of being stuck in a squad who just want to super fob things and not get stuck in.

The best way is to find a server that suits you best and get to know their community and play regularly with them.

I'm personally in the other boat. V13 has brought me back to Squad more.

I'll admit, I tend to stay away from the SL role. I have tried it a few times...usually when I've been lumbered with it by someone leaving. But it has me completely overwhelmed. I don't seem to have the mental capacity to be able to actually play the game, whilst also leading others. So I have maximum respect for those that take it on and always ensure I try to be a good squad member instead.

It's not so much the "not getting stuck in" that bothers me...standing defence on a point a long way from the action is what helps give you that sense of scale that I enjoy. It's just that when I do, I often feel like that I am constantly outclassed...I play tactically, I move slowly and intelligently, yet the amount of times I've had the drop on an enemy and still ended up coming off worse is almost beyond count. I rarely get that feeling in the other games - I know they are faster paced, but they are still arguably somewhat tactical and realistic (even more so than Squad in some areas), and I think I find the actual gunplay more enjoyable in them. Which is odd, because the gunplay in Squad is by no means bad...I just don't find it as natural feeling. None of this is new to me...I've always found myself getting frustrated at the game, but it's never really put me off playing, so I can't really explain what's putting me off.

I do play on a few regular severs, so I think I just need to devote an afternoon and get myself back into it and practice more.

Soldato
Well, there we are...new version. Perhaps that will my motivation to get myself back into the game :D

Haven't got the HDD space on my primary drive, so I'm not going to bother downloading the test branch. I'll just wait for the full release.
I notice they've added laser sights to the US rifles, but just cosmetically, for the models....are they eventually planning on making them usable? Otherwise they might feel a bit incongruous.

Associate
v13 has really sucked me back into this game again - I've only put in 40~ odd hours since I purchased it but at least 10 of those must be from this last week.

In the past, I've just picked it up for a round or two when it suited, but it's obviously a game that demands a lot more of your time & energy than a 'quick blast' can give.

Performance is decent for the most part too - though I imagine if I was to upgrade, a new CPU/ Mobo & some DDR4 would help somewhat?

Soldato
OP
ALPHA 14 PATCH NOTES

Hey squaddies,

Bet you didn’t expect to see Alpha 14 so soon! We’ve been working hard to get patches out more quickly and the results are paying off. Speaking off, let’s check out the latest bounty of changes:

ALPHA 14 CHANGELOG

SYSTEMS
OVERHAULED THE PLAYER RAGDOLL SYSTEM
The ragdoll system has been updated to improve the overall look when a soldier goes into the ragdoll state, such as when incapacitated or run over by a vehicle. Soldiers getting hit by vehicles should look more realistic, and there should be less twitching of corpses in most cases. However, as this is still a work in progress, there may still be an occasional visual glitch.

UPGRADED UNREAL ENGINE VERSION TO 4.21.2
This upgrade introduces a variety of hotfixes implemented to the version implemented in Alpha 13. A full list of engine fixes can be found here.

GAME MODES
ADDED TERRITORY CONTROL GAME MODE
This new game mode has two teams facing off to capture contiguous hex tiles across a map and will continue to evolve through the next few versions of Squad. Territory Control consists of a grid of hexagonal regions, which function like capture zones, anchored by a “key territory” hex for each team as the base of their grid. If a group of hexes is disconnected from this key territory, or the territory itself is contested, a team will need to recapture it before claiming any new territories. The status of a hex is hidden by the fog of war until a team controls an adjacent hex, cloaking enemy movements until conflict erupts.

This new game mode is in the early stages of development and will be evolving through the next few versions.

A few key rules for gameplay:

• A neutral hex requires one player to capture. A contested hex must be neutralized and captured by at least three players.
  • An enemy hex takes 40 seconds to neutralized and a neutral hex takes 40 seconds to capture.
  • Capturing a hex unlocks all adjacent (bordering) hex zones for capture.
  • Bleed: For every two hex zones captured beyond owning 60% of all hexes, the enemy will start bleeding 1 ticket per minute with a maximum of 5 tickets per minute for 10+ hexes captured beyond 60%.
  • When a team captures 95% of all hexes, that team instantly wins.
  • Losing all tickets will cause a team to lose the round.
INVASION MODE CHANGES
  • Defenders will win with a time-out even if they have fewer tickets than the Attackers. For the Attackers to win, they will need to either completely drain the Defenders tickets or fully capture all flags in the map.
  • Tweaked starting tickets: 150 for attackers and 600/700/800 for defenders on corresponding 4/5/6 flag layouts
NEW INFANTRY WEAPONS
ADDED M3 MAAWS CARL GUSTAF

The M3 MAAWS (or Multi-Role Anti-Armor Anti-Personnel Weapon System) is the American adoption of the 84mm Carl Gustaf recoilless rifle developed in Sweden shortly after World War 2. The M3 can fire a variety of different ammunition, making it a very diverse weapon system. The optic mounted on the weapon system can either be used to calculate drop in 100m increments or be directly zeroed to the desired range. The M3 can fire High Explosive Anti Tank, Heavy Tandem HEAT, and Smoke rounds. This has replaced the AT4 as the US Army Heavy Anti Tank weapon.

ADDED AK74 BAYONET
Russian Ground Forces will now receive the AK74 Bayonet, which replaces the older AKM bayonet model.

INFANTRY GAMEPLAY
  • Major overhaul of the M4 weapon series, updating it visually to modern art standards and details.
  • Improving ladder sight mount on the M4 M203, making it easier to aim with the ladder sight and giving it more ranging options.
  • Added a non-functioning cosmetic PEQ-15 laser module to all US Army primary weapons.
  • Added deployable bipods to the US Army M110 marksman rifle and the British L129A1 sharpshooter rifle.
  • Buffed British AT4 variant’s penetration capability to 600mm RHA, British are now using the ILAW High Penetration variant.
  • Debuffed the US AT4’s penetration capability to 420mm RHA, assigned it as a secondary US Army LAT.
  • Fixed zeroing text appearing incorrectly as 300m on the SA80 SUSATs (should be 100m)
  • Tweaked the sight picture for the RPG29, making it easier to aim with.
  • Fixed M72A7 LAW using incorrect ADS fire animation.
  • Fixed some US Army Squad Leader roles not having tracers on their M4s.
NEW VEHICLES
FV4034 CHALLENGER 2 MAIN BATTLE TANK.

The FV4034 Challenger 2 is the main battle tank of the British Army and holds a crew of 4 (Driver, Gunner, Commander, and Loader). This tank sports a stabilized 120mm rifled main gun capable of firing armor-piercing SABOT rounds, High Explosive, and Smoke rounds. In addition to its main cannon, the tank also has a 7.62mm coaxial machine gun and smoke launchers for self-defense. The commander has access to a high-powered optical periscope featuring hunter-killer functionality with the gunner. The loader’s position has a Remote Weapon Station with a 7.62mm GPMG slewed to it, allowing for additional anti-personnel firepower should the need arise.

BMP-1 INFANTRY FIGHTING VEHICLE.

This Soviet-made IFV was developed in the 1960s and is now featured in Militia and Insurgent arsenals. This vehicle seats 3 crew (Driver, Gunner, and Commander) and can hold up to 8 passengers, plus 4 riding on top. Putting public transit to shame, this vehicle has a 73mm smoothbore cannon capable of firing projectiles similar to that of the SPG9 recoilless rifle. As such it has access to High Explosive Anti-Tank and Fragmentation rounds for its main gun, as well as a PKT coaxial machine gun. An additional Malyutka-P missile adds a slow, but devastating wire-guided option for enemy armor.

VEHICLE GAMEPLAY

• Added Loaders Cupola station to the T62 tank. This is a manually operated DsHK mounted onto an anti-aircraft style mount which allows for 360 traverse and high angle engagements and gives the T62 tank additional firepower by adding another station for the crew to go into.
  • Updated T72B3’s commander cupola station artwork.
  • Adjusted M2 Bradley, FV432, FV510, MTLB, T62, T72B3, and M1A2 Abrams front and rear wheel suspension to make it less likely to get stuck.
  • Fixed physics collision shapes on some vehicles that caused them to get easily stuck on terrain or objects.
  • Tweaked default physmat friction values which were way too high and therefore causing vehicles to get stuck more easily.
  • Fixed T62 tank’s engine throttle being a bit inconsistent.
  • Fixed MTLB Insurgent variant track collision location being in the wrong place.
  • Added a range card to the Rocket Artillery Technical gunner HUD.
  • Added bullet drop compensator to the reticle for the BTR80/BRDM2’s KPVT machine gun and MTLB 6MB/BTR82A’s 30mm 2A72 cannon.
  • Fixed players that got shot off from gunner seat of the ZU23 AA Truck not being able to be revived.
DEPLOYABLES GAMEPLAY
  • All emplacement weapons now retain their rotations when the player has exited them. This includes mortars as well.
USER INTERFACE
  • Added a short introduction animation with voice-over upon joining a team.
  • Added an end of round card showing team ticket scores that includes music and voice-over to smooth the transition going from the end of the game to the scoreboard.
  • Added the first iteration of a voice command radial menu that allows players to give simple voice-over call-outs. At the moment, only American English is available but more voices will be added in later.
  • Added a “Medic” voice command call button for when you’re incapacitated on the ground.
  • Added a progress bar for when you are building deployables and repairing vehicles.
  • Added a key help list for players in a vehicle to show the available keys and features that are in that particular vehicle seat.
  • Added Game Mode help cards upon joining a server.
NEW MAP
SKORPO

Nestled in between the massive fjords of Western Norway, the tranquil village of Uskedalen and the island of Skorpo are seen as a key strategic battleground to gain control of the North Sea passages. Narrow, windy roads and dark tunnels follow the coastline and are treacherous bottlenecks for any mechanized force. Keeping your supply lines open is also difficult given there not being much room to maneuver. Utilizing the varying elevation of the landscape and hidden forest roads will yield many advantages, but be aware that the enemy might also have the same idea.

Skorpo will feature AAS, RAAS, Invasion, Skirmish, and the brand new Territory Control game modes.

MAP UPDATES
  • Chora: gameplay improvements for vehicles, including widening the driving lanes and bridges, widening holes in walls, removing some frustrating obstacles, adding rock cover in open areas, and smoothing some of the roughest bumps in the terrain.
  • Kokan: Updated foliage.
  • Fixed collisions on several map objects and rocks to prevent exploits.
  • Re-attached power lines on numerous maps.
  • Fixed some buildings on Narva that changed color at distance; a few more still to fix.
  • Fixed interiors on Sumari so objects have correct materials displayed.
  • Added new RAAS layers to Kohat Toi (RAASv2 and RAASv3).
  • Fixed Logar Insurgency v1 wrong location of INS main base flag.
  • Fixed Logar Insurgency v1 Night having the wrong team for INS protection zone.
  • Fixed Belaya AAS and Invasion layers RU vehicles at RU main to spawn flipped or upside down.
  • Fixed Tallil Invasion v2 having East/West Khidir named incorrectly.
  • Fixed Gorodok having a couple of floating metal beams on the train.
  • Fixed some shipping containers on Logar switching colors as you moved nearer or further away from them.
  • Adjusted Belaya AASv1 tickets to 300/300 (from 250/250).
  • Kamdesh Invasion v3 set defenders to 700 tickets.
  • Kokan AAS_v1, AAS_v2 and RAAS_v1 updated tickets to 250/250.
  • Logar AAS_v1 and RAAS_v1 updated tickets to 250/250.
  • Mestia AAS_v1, AAS_v2 and RAAS_v1 set tickets to 250/250.
  • Sumari AAS_v2, AAS_v3 and RAAS_v1 increased tickets 250/250.
  • Tallil Outskirts RAAS_v3 set to 250/250 tickets.
  • Added BMP1 to the following layers:
    • AlBasrah_Invasion_v1
    • AlBasrah_Invasion_v2
    • AlBasrah_RAAS_v1
    • Belaya_AAS_v3
    • FoolsRoad_AAS_v4
    • FoolsRoad_AAS_v5
    • FoolsRoad_RAAS_v1
    • Gorodok_Invasion_v2
    • Jensens_Range_v1
    • Jensens_Range_v2
    • Jensens_Range_v3
    • Mestia_RAAS_v1
    • Kamdesh_Insurgency_v2
    • Kamdesh_Invasion_v2
    • Kohat_Insurgency_v1
    • Kohat_Invasion_v1
    • Kohat_Invasion_v2
    • Skorpo_Invasion_v1
    • Sumari_Insurgency_v1
    • Tallil_Outskirts_AAS_v3
    • Tallil_Outskirts_Invasion_v2
    • Yehorivka_Invasion_v1
  • Added FV4032 (Challenger) to the following layers:
    • AlBasrah_Invasion_v2
    • Belaya_AAS_v3
    • Belaya_Invasion_v3
    • FoolsRoad_AAS_v5
    • Gorodok_AAS_v3
    • Gorodok_RAAS_v2
    • Jensens_Range_v1
    • Kamdesh_Invasion_v2
    • Kamdesh_RAAS_v2
    • Narva_Invasion_v2
    • Tallil_Outskirts_RAAS_v4
    • Yehorivka_AAS_v3
    • Yehorivka_Invasion_v3
BUG FIXES AND MISCELLANEOUS
  • Fixed mortar, UGL grenades and rocket projectiles not dealing damage if the shooter was killed after launching the projectile.
  • Optimized certain aspects of the vehicle code dealing with closed turrets.
  • Optimized the way HUD UI is drawn and updated.
  • Fixed Insurgent/Militia Vehicle Repair station mesh having an overlapped US/GB repair station mesh on it
  • Fixed ambient smoke columns stopping emission of smoke randomly.
  • Fixed C4 explosions not displaying when detonated on asphalt and gravel.
  • Fixed a client crash when launching the Shooting Range.
KNOWN ISSUES
  • Tracks, Wheels, and other components are not destructible while on a local server running Jensen’s Range.

Soldato
Melbo.

Why add the voiceover ? Why promote not using a microphone.

Everything else is spot on. But that idea is plain odd.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It worked fine in PR. Lots of people used it in conjunction with voip. The only thing I don't like about it is being heard by the enemy team. I'll be trying to get that changed!

Soldato
Being heard by enemy team is great feature, as it was in project reality, like in real war, if your close to a enemy you would hear them and be able to pin point them, or are you on about something else ? i thought you only hear enemy within a certain range of them ?

Back
Top Bottom