What wearable do you need to track swimming?

Associate
What's your swimming training like?

I'd suggest doing something like 10 x 100m sets. For each 100m, give yourself a time limit (e.g. 90secs - if you complete the 100m in 70secs, then you have 20secs rest before you start the next 100m). If this becomes too easy, you can decrease the time for each 100m (e.g. 80secs per 100m) meaning you'll get less rest between each 100m. You can also increase the number of 100m as well, but reducing the timing is normally the first step. And vice versa if it's too difficult. You can alter the distances as well (50m or 200m).

If you train like this, then all you need is to know the length of the swimming pool (normally 25m or 50m) and a really light waterproof watch that shows time to the seconds level. Sometimes pools even have a seconds clock at one end of the pool, which is enough information for the above method of training (unless you don't know if the 100m is taking you 1min30secs or 2mins30secs, then you'd have no idea!).

You can calculate the overall distance covered by totaling everything up at end (e.g. 10x100m + 10x50m = 1.5km). Although overall distance covered in a session isn't something that I'd bother using as a gauge.

Soldato
ideally you want swolf to check strokes per length
I would love something with audio beat to tell me if I was up or down on pace, rather than, currently, just a post-mortem with upload of length times...
maybe the new 5g, working for indoors navigation, will help (when your watch arms out of the water)

Associate
I have the vivoactive 3 and seems to do a good job. You need an app added for open water swimming but it’s free and then shows you a google map inside the companion phone app. Does your swolf etc.
I doubt a watch will do a good audible beep for you really. I’d imagine you’re better with something under a swimming cap

Associate
I would like a smart watch that can track my swimming and let me play Spotify to waterproof ear phones. Don't even know if this is possible but I assume it is, but I bet it's a lot of money.

Associate
Not sure on watch to headphones, but swimming bone conduction headphones exist and work very well and not too expensive. Definitely nice when just churning up lengths

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Vivoactive music i think.

I am yet to find the perfect smart watch for swimming tbh. The vivoactive is a pain only having one button.

Soldato
Do you have to push-off energetically for the vivoactive lap recognition, or, can you use the button for manual lap recognition ?
(like I do on a suunto ambit - it bips audibly, underwater, as you hit button, and also glance at there and back 2x25m time)

which headphones too ? one guy at the pool uses some, he wears a swim cap, not sure if that is essential to keep them on, or, if they otherwise interfere with where you put your arm on the front crawl, or if they create turbulence ... I can brush my goggles, as it is, so always double check buckle is flat.

Soldato
which headphones too ? one guy at the pool uses some, he wears a swim cap, not sure if that is essential to keep them on, or, if they otherwise interfere with where you put your arm on the front crawl, or if they create turbulence ... I can brush my goggles, as it is, so always double check buckle is flat.

consulting google bluetooth doesn't work under water - did everyone else already know that ? .. so folks at my pool have a player under the swim cap.
... but I guess I knew this as suunto's chest heartstrap does not upload whilst swimming you have to wait until your torso's out of water ...need to check manual but I think it said might work in water if less than 50cm apart

Associate
consulting google bluetooth doesn't work under water - did everyone else already know that ? .. so folks at my pool have a player under the swim cap.

That's a shame. I know of the swimming earphones that have a player on the goggle strap but it's not ideal as I only use Spotify and don't download music, plus it's a bit of an inconvenience to have the player on the back of your head.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Do you have to push-off energetically for the vivoactive lap recognition, or, can you use the button for manual lap recognition ?
(like I do on a suunto ambit - it bips audibly, underwater, as you hit button, and also glance at there and back 2x25m time)

No, its tracks the acceleration and arm movement on the turn more or less. Its not without its failings though. Freestyle is pretty much bang on, Breast and backs its ok as long as you get a bit of momentum on the turn. It fails to pick up any length when using a kickboard though and you cant add it manually. Not a major issue but my kick is utterly useless anyway.

The HRM also switches off when swimming as well, apparently its not the accurate in the water.

I really want to try the new apple watch, going to ditch the android when the s7 battery needs 3 charges a day to see me through :)

Soldato
No, its tracks the acceleration
;) ok - my euphemism for acceleration is - you must push-off .. I usually swim 100m ~ 2mins (not the elite level 70s mentioned earlier:p) and accelerate under the stroke without any leg force push off, of the end .. which I think is too gentle for watch accelerometers. ? but, I could make a bigger move with the watch hand if that fooled it.

The suunto hrm strap does work in water , tried it once when pool was empty, more geeky than headphones otherwise, and logs a complete hour on the strap until you upload to watch at end of session.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Not quite, as using the kick-board even with a push it does not register, so as long as your arms are working its good.

I open water swim, bike and run and the vivoactive covers all three and subtle enough to wear everywhere. Just wish it had a extra button to stop it being so fiddly to use. Garmin went look at my oh so smart watch when all it needed was a extra button instead of the touch screen.

Associate
That was a lifetime ago for me. Back in the day, when I was teenager, I used to train 6 days a week. Now I'm sure I have no chance of repeating those lap times.

Back
Top Bottom