What's with all the Barbers in town?

Associate
Anyone noticed how the number of barbers in towns have dramatically increased recently? There must be over 10 in our small town. I know the facial hair phenomenon of recent years is continuing but I guess this is purely supply and demand driven? Similar to other sectors?

Associate
Think it's probably a demand thing, there's a lot more nail salons etc as well. Maybe the Instagram crowd want to look their best? Or maybe I just sound like an old man?

Soldato
Seems to be the little old ladies getting their hair done demographic in the shops nearest to me. It's roughly a third hairdressers, a third estate agents and a third takeaways. It's the estate agents survival that amazes me most.

Soldato
Shops that sell things that can be bought cheaper online are gradually disappearing. You can't buy a haircut online(!) so there are proportionally more barbers on the high street now. Same goes for takeaways, beauty salons, cafes etc.

That's my theory anyway.

Soldato
The comments section in our local paper in constantly people moaning about town just becoming barbers and restaurants.

I recently switched to a turkish barbers that is at the end of my road. They do a far better job than the place I had gone to all my life previously and I never have to wait.

Soldato
In a 1 mile strip we have = 4 x Turkish barbers and 6 x kebab shops with a population of 61.k in the town and most live around the boundaries in new estates

Soldato
I think it’s a male metoo thing. For years fellas have had to go to hair dressers where you rarely got any style.

Male barbers have turned that on its head, at least oop north anyway.

Soldato
It's the estate agents survival that amazes me most.

Operating costs are low, I guess - a cheap CMS website, some pin-boards for the window and one-time purchase from the IKEA office furniture range. After that it's the commerce equivalent of deer-hunting. No regular success, just skulking around for the big kill that you can live off till the next.

Back
Top Bottom