US obsession with <First-Name> <Last-Name> ??

Soldato
tumblr_lpiuoqOiAG1r086dio1_500.gif

Man of Honour
Why is the coding such an issue?

And why did the original coders decide that one HAD to have two names?

Just. Why??
The "original coders" probably didn't decide anything, they were given a spec sheet driven by the original client's requirements that said you must be able to enter a first name and a surname.

The reason such forms have two name fields rather than one is fairly obvious, which I'm sure you are aware of.

Ask yourself, how many people do you know, in real life, who just have a single name. In 40 years I've never met one, and only once spoken to one on the telephone (he changed his name to "Tank", no surname and no first name, just "Tank")

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The "original coders" probably didn't decide anything, they were given a spec sheet driven by the original client's requirements that said you must be able to enter a first name and a surname.

The reason such forms have two name fields rather than one is fairly obvious, which I'm sure you are aware of.

Ask yourself, how many people do you know, in real life, who just have a single name. In 40 years I've never met one, and only once spoken to one on the telephone (he changed his name to "Tank", no surname and no first name, just "Tank")

OK, But you post as a single name, most people post as a single name.

I am wanting to open an active channel on Youtube and Youtube is demanding that I add a second name to the name that I have always used.

Why?

Associate
OK, But you post as a single name, most people post as a single name.

I am wanting to open an active channel on Youtube and Youtube is demanding that I add a second name to the name that I have always used.

Why?

My Youtube channel is one name. I typed one name in and left the other blank it didn't demand 2 names at all, is that not working?

Soldato
I never met a person who didn't have a middle name. I'm pretty shocked, this has changed my reality. :eek:

I was once in hospital in the US and when the nurse was taking my name for some reason she thought I was a movie star because I didn't have a middle name.

I tried to play along though didn't get her number :(

Back
Top Bottom