Mercedes AMG A35 or current A45

Associate
So went around to have a look at the A35 yesterday in Salisbury , they had a bright yellow one in to have a look at. Seems alright , as soon as I sat in the car , I was almost overwhelmed by all the buttons and general crampness in the drivers seat, one might say it is more driver focused ? The driver position feels really high and I couldn't get a lower position that I like. Didn't get a proper test drive yesterday as Salisbury traffic was heavy , but I'm going back today hopefully to have a proper test drive to see if it will persuade me.

Soldato
Yea the high and sometimes awkward driving position is a problem in most hot hatches. They stick sporty seats in them but are limited on what else they can change :/

Associate
Well the drive did not disappoint at all. The acceleration and the handling is spot on. The throttle response is so much better than my R. The pop and bangs on Sport+ mode is fun and addictive. Seat are very nice and hugs better than my standard seats in the R. You get a lot of attention in a yellow car , so I doubt I will get one in that colour. Blue or White looks nice to me.So now I'm very tempted to get one if the deal is right. The one I test drove had the heads up display which I didn't find intrusive at all. I could go on , but I think this could be my next car :)

Associate
:D love this term! Perfectly describes the PCP Hot Hatch generation. Not for me personally, appreciate they're absolute weapons and extremely capable - but god are they boring!

Haha well I do have a 135 on a pcp :D. Least it’s a bit different though.

Tbh though this whole class is too fast now. With roads as busy as they are, speed cameras everywhere, smart motorways, there’s basically nowhere to drive these cars anywhere near properly without being in license losing territory in no time.

Most of these cars are 90s supercar pace which is amazing for the price but are they fun other than for 6 seconds on a motorway slip road? Undoubtedly my m135 is the best car I’ve owned but I had more fun in my C2 VTS which you could thrash everywhere and still remain semi sensible.

That’s why I’ll be looking at a fiesta st or similar in the future.

Soldato
Tbh though this whole class is too fast now. With roads as busy as they are, speed cameras everywhere, smart motorways, there’s basically nowhere to drive these cars anywhere near properly without being in license losing territory in no time.

Most of these cars are 90s supercar pace which is amazing for the price but are they fun other than for 6 seconds on a motorway slip road? Undoubtedly my m135 is the best car I’ve owned but I had more fun in my C2 VTS which you could thrash everywhere and still remain semi sensible.

That's my feeling with all the 300bhp+ "super-hatches" out there. They often feel too quick to ever have fun on public roads as you're often just a couple of seconds of acceleration away from breaking the speed limit!

Last edited:
Soldato
Haha well I do have a 135 on a pcp :D. Least it’s a bit different though.

That’s why I’ll be looking at a fiesta st or similar in the future.

Many aren't fun because they feel disconnected. Overly assisted numb steering, automatic gearbox, etc.

Cars like the Audi S3 are quick off the line, but that's it's only trick. After a short time you get used to it and then it's boring.

In the Fiesta ST you feel everything and the sensation of speed is a lot stronger. Plus it can carry it's speed in to corners. It really is a better hot hatch for 1/2 the price.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom