New to watercooling

Associate
Good evening guys!

I am new to the watercooling world, and looking in the internet i saw two kits of EKBW.
The first one is
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-kit-p360
and the second one is
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-kit-s360

The slim series got mediocre reviews. The thing is that my Enthoo Pro M is not a very spacy case so i need a radiator for the top that is 4 cm or less. Do i need a 360 radiator? or i ccan create a loop with a slimmer radiator?

Associate
360 is the amount/size of fans not the thickness!

http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Pro-M.html

Does say 360/280 in both top and front but don't say thickness! Very helpful.Not.

EK have some that are mean't to be pretty good you could also put either a 120 or 140 in the rear fan but not giving much room to play with as if could put rad on the outside plumbing it in through case that way out of the way and could be thick!
On my case it has two holes above fan so can put connections through which has have a 120mm lying around going to bolt on outside with fan on inside have 30mm extensions to go through then put compression fittings on ends.

Not sure what your cooling to give a better answer to your needs/desires.

Have a dry run see how much depth you get from inside of lid to where becomes an issue with board and other parts like Ram etc plus don't forget to allow for fans which most likely 25mm plus 1mm for gasket.
So push something up to inside of lid like a thin piece of wood then mark it with a pencil then measure it.
Don't forget a 360 with be narrower than a 280mm as 360 is 120mm fans and 280 140's so the 280mm will be around 20mm wider

Also the more rad space you have ie bigger plus thicker higher FPI's.More efficient models the less critical fans/speeds/pump flow and routing of components.

where as less needs higher fans speeds/Better fans and more pump flow

Last edited:
Associate
OP
360 is the amount/size of fans not the thickness!

http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Pro-M.html

Does say 360/280 in both top and front but don't say thickness! Very helpful.Not.

EK have some that are mean't to be pretty good you could also put either a 120 or 140 in the rear fan but not giving much room to play with as if could put rad on the outside plumbing it in through case that way out of the way and could be thick!
On my case it has two holes above fan so can put connections through which has have a 120mm lying around going to bolt on outside with fan on inside have 30mm extensions to go through then put compression fittings on ends.

Not sure what your cooling to give a better answer to your needs/desires.

Have a dry run see how much depth you get from inside of lid to where becomes an issue with board and other parts like Ram etc plus don't forget to allow for fans which most likely 25mm plus 1mm for gasket.
So push something up to inside of lid like a thin piece of wood then mark it with a pencil then measure it.
Don't forget a 360 with be narrower than a 280mm as 360 is 120mm fans and 280 140's so the 280mm will be around 20mm wider

Also the more rad space you have ie bigger plus thicker higher FPI's.More efficient models the less critical fans/speeds/pump flow and routing of components.

where as less needs higher fans speeds/Better fans and more pump flow
Yes the problem with that case is that is "try and error". At the top is a piece of metal, in the bottom of it fits the raddiator, at the top of it the fans. 360radiator as far as i can see comes in 3.8cm height which covers a small part of the RAMS. Slim series is 1cm short (2.8cm). The radiator fits in that metal at the very edge of the case, so it does not come in contact with the motherboard in any way. So here comes the question: shall i go for thhe performance Kit or the Slim kit? For the time being i want to cool the CPU, and the GPU will be added in the near future.
My system is: CPU: Intel i7 9700K, Cooling: Noctua ΝΗ-D14 Mobo: MSI Z390 Tomahawk RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB, GPU: Asus Strix ROG RTX 2080, PSU: Thermaltake EvoBlue 2 850 Watts.

Οhh and nice to mmeet you guys!

Associate
Yes the problem with that case is that is "try and error". At the top is a piece of metal, in the bottom of it fits the raddiator, at the top of it the fans. 360radiator as far as i can see comes in 3.8cm height which covers a small part of the RAMS. Slim series is 1cm short (2.8cm). The radiator fits in that metal at the very edge of the case, so it does not come in contact with the motherboard in any way. So here comes the question: shall i go for thhe performance Kit or the Slim kit? For the time being i want to cool the CPU, and the GPU will be added in the near future.
My system is: CPU: Intel i7 9700K, Cooling: Noctua ΝΗ-D14 Mobo: MSI Z390 Tomahawk RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB, GPU: Asus Strix ROG RTX 2080, PSU: Thermaltake EvoBlue 2 850 Watts.

Οhh and nice to mmeet you guys!

Hi myself i'd go with the P360 if it fits in ok?.Fans pref want on push so rads fixes to tray then fans screw onto rad for maximum air flow but if fouls have to compromise!

Yes looks like don't have a lot of headroom! and you'd probably need front rad for when add gpu!

Associate
Hi just noticed your in Greece what are your room temps? as might need more cooling if "Hot"
You could also do off board cooling @pastymuncher and others have done your more or less unlimited then could have one or two rad+ and there is/was a 9 fan panel rad from Phobya or could have a 560mm rad 4x120mm
You could get a Aluminium box made for it to fit inside maybe even to sit on top of case or below with rad mounted on it's side so like a plinth?

If you wanted to get really into it you could add some Peltier effect units to rad where by you control cooling with volts/current they use in the outback to make power to run communications etc so pass power in one side gets hot other cold or place by a hot surface other side needs cooling and produces power!. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect

No this is bad your giving me Naughty idea's!!! mmm so where is that Dremel?

You could even install a loop via a fridge just bore two holes in side pass extension tube fittings through then seal round them then attach hoses to either side and rads inside with fans nice and quiet.

Associate
OP
Hi just noticed your in Greece what are your room temps? as might need more cooling if "Hot"
You could also do off board cooling @pastymuncher and others have done your more or less unlimited then could have one or two rad+ and there is/was a 9 fan panel rad from Phobya or could have a 560mm rad 4x120mm
You could get a Aluminium box made for it to fit inside maybe even to sit on top of case or below with rad mounted on it's side so like a plinth?

If you wanted to get really into it you could add some Peltier effect units to rad where by you control cooling with volts/current they use in the outback to make power to run communications etc so pass power in one side gets hot other cold or place by a hot surface other side needs cooling and produces power!. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect

No this is bad your giving me Naughty idea's!!! mmm so where is that Dremel?

You could even install a loop via a fridge just bore two holes in side pass extension tube fittings through then seal round them then attach hoses to either side and rads inside with fans nice and quiet.
Hello aain mate. It depends on the season, but in any case 22-23 is the top temperature on my room.

Associate
You can't use a fridge. It is designed for keeping cold things cold and cannot cool an active heat source.

So how did it cool the things put in it then?
But i'd better tell bod that's using one he can't! Should i go Smack his hands?:eek:

Hello aain mate. It depends on the season, but in any case 22-23 is the top temperature on my room.

Hi ok not to drastic then ive got 24c here atmo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
So how did it cool the things put in it then?
But i'd better tell bod that's using one he can't! Should i go Smack his hands?:eek:

You know, you could try thinking about this. If you put food in a fridge, does it keep creating heat inside or does it simply cool down and stay cold? You're pumping constantly re-heated water into your fridge which now needs to ramp up its cooling. This is not something it is designed for!

But hey, not my fridge. Just trying to help.

What are the differences in cooling between a 360 raddiator and a 280 one?

assuming they are the same thickness, 280x14=39400 square mm area. 360x120=43200 square mm area. So a 360 is maybe 10% "better".

However, the 360mm uses 120mm fans so 3x120mm fans might get 3x75cfm=225 cfm, 2x140 might get 2x90=180 cfm. So that's 25% more airflow.

A single 280mm radiator might have less restriction than a 360mm (although flowrate isn't overly important so long as the flow isn't basically stalled).

Again, this is really hard to be precise. It all depends on way too many factors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
assuming they are the same thickness, 280x14=39400 square mm area. 360x120=43200 square mm area. So a 360 is maybe 10% "better".

However, the 360mm uses 120mm fans so 3x120mm fans might get 3x75cfm=225 cfm, 2x140 might get 2x90=180 cfm. So that's 25% more airflow.

A single 280mm radiator might have less restriction than a 360mm (although flowrate isn't overly important so long as the flow isn't basically stalled).

Again, this is really hard to be precise. It all depends on way too many factors.
I see... So i go for the 360 kit....

Associate
The advantages of AIO would be more not blocking the RAM with a massive cooler (considering your case allows the installation of the radiator at an ideal location), and easier to install. That's all.
Custom loops allows upgrades, as cooling other components.
Regarding prices, the idea of the kit is that would offer better value than individual parts, as packaging would be reduced, and the manufacturer manages to "push" few bits at their price, without being noticed, as tubing and connectors.
Worthy checking at https://www.caseking.de/, if prices may work better for you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom