What's with all the Barbers in town?

Associate
Operating costs are low, I guess - a cheap CMS website, some pin-boards for the window and one-time purchase from the IKEA office furniture range. After that it's the commerce equivalent of deer-hunting. No regular success, just skulking around for the big kill that you can live off till the next.

I guess it's similar for barbers, don't people rent a chair so you basically have 0 staff costs?

Soldato
Is the money laundering thing a meme I've missed or do people actually think it's a thing?

It's a pretty good front as far as they come. £10-20 per 20 minutes for each member of "staff" and no paper trail; could claim everyone pays cash and how can you prove if some random person off the street has or hasn't had their hair cut recently.

Assuming your payroll records are purposefully poor you could claim you've got 4 people in every day generating £600 each. That's £16,800 a week.

Caporegime
Living in Birmingham you're only a short 5 minute walk away from any where that could be a front.

There's a acupuncture and therapy massage place near me, never seen anyone go in or out when I've driven or walked past apart from the usual E classes that are outside.

A few doors down there's some takeaways and barbers which of course always have the the inconspicuous cars parked outside. The blacked out A8, Range Rover. Occasionally there will be a wrapped Mustang and an RS8 outside.

These places must be racking in the £££.

Soldato
Kinda missed off salaries, building rent & business rates there :p

Deliberately. Respectively - wages being commission based; rent lower than retail because location far less important and no stock storage requirements meaning smaller footprint. As to business rates, it's a list of cost advantages estate agents have vs. other high-street businesses, not a list of costs. So no reason to have listed it.

Caporegime
I think a couple of my old hairdressers were doing a bit of work on the side if you get my meaning, they were always seeking my attention and had random blokes/chavs hanging around when I went in, they weren't particularly attractive though.

Associate
Places that are cash only can be used for money laundering, like car washes or car parks. There's a few barbers near me, but they aren't the type to money launder, or that's what they want me to believe.

Soldato
The highstreet is dead with people shopping online.
Bookies, hairdressers, vape shops, nail salons and pubs is all that's left.

On the plus side there's more high end barbers that do the full beard /cutthroat shave treatment and serve a beer too .

Soldato
Many have already said it - money laundering. It's not always the reason but it's not just base suspicion - it's more widespread than people know.

It's becoming harder and harder to launder so the true 'cash only' places are the last bastion - Barbers, salons, massage parlour, nail studios. Anywhere that supplies a service rather than goods because it's near impossible to track how many cuts a place has given.

Man of Honour
There was a thread on this a few months back. One of the reasons, though not the main/only one, for it is that male grooming has become more of a thing with the younger generations again thanks to some high profile social media types - lots of YouTube channels, etc.

Many have already said it - money laundering. It's not always the reason but

Some might be - I can believe it of some of the back alley type places that have sprung up but quite a few of them are longer established companies with some degree of reputation/image to lose that probably aren't involved in anything particularly dodgy.

Soldato
Some might be - I can believe it of some of the back alley type places that have sprung up but quite a few of them are longer established companies with some degree of reputation/image to lose that probably aren't involved in anything particularly dodgy.

I agree - it's more the kind of place you pass every day and think 'how are they still in business?'

Man of Honour
Have you ever tried to go to your fav barbershop on a Saturday morning and be seen to right away? Barbering is serious business. My local is at the end of my road and the guy does an amazing job, knows his stuff and does it right every time. Naturally his store is always busy and sometimes the wait times are an hour+, people were being told 2 weeks ago who walked in that the wait is up to 2 hours!

Knowing that, it's understandable why barbershops are cropping up everywhere. Everyone has hair (unless you're bald LOLOLOL) and needs it cut once every few weeks. They're the new kebab shop for Friday night drunk yoofs.

BMW's here . Used to be one in town now four offering Turkish shaves etc
BMW's what though?

Back
Top Bottom