Next door.. CCTV... Invasive?

Soldato
You can get up to 5 years in prison and an unlimited fine for waving a powerful laser around, so don't get caught with it.

Man of Honour
My next door neighbour doesn't get on with his next door neighbour (not me the other side) and one night he got broken into.
The Police noticed the other neighbour had CCTV pointing at his house, asked for the film and caught the burglars so it does have it's uses.

Soldato
He shouldnt have it covering your garden and if it were my neighbour id have a word with him.
No reason why you, your wife and your kids should be getting recorded everytime you step into your own garden.

Associate
This is really easy of an issue to deal with, we once had trouble neighbours so someone set up a CCTV system.

He went to all his neighbours with screen grabs showing what they're capturing and why. The only people that a problem were the ones causing the issues.

I would simply talk to your neighbour and ask if the cameras look over your side and if they could be adjusted not to. Simple solution to a simple problem.

And to clear things up everyone is allowed to record in public, however areas where there is a reason to expect privacy (your home) should not be recorded without consent as that can breach privacy laws.

Soldato
If you live in a terraced or semi-detached house in a bog standard UK street, the wide FOV on the standard CCTV cameras make it very difficult to cover your property without recording a small slice of your neighbour’s property on the other side of the boundaries and an area of the pavement/street if you’re covering the front of your house.

Caporegime
If you live in a terraced or semi-detached house in a bog standard UK street, the wide FOV on the standard CCTV cameras make it very difficult to cover your property without recording a small slice of your neighbour’s property on the other side of the boundaries and an area of the pavement/street if you’re covering the front of your house.

Simply place it lower down so it cannot see much due to fences, hedges, trees, etc. Angle it down to cover the ground more.

CCTV in back gardens IMO should be placed low down. Front of houses they can do whatever they like. In fact I'd advise they try and cover the road / street and neighbour's if possible.

Caporegime
But not low enough to easily be disabled.

i don't really see the issue of it being easily disabled. cctv should always be installed in such a manner that all angles are covered. so you have a camera in every position required to cover all entry points.

how are they going to gain access to the back garden? the front should cover access points to the back. then the back should be angled to crossed over so covering both sides.

Man of Honour
i don't really see the issue of it being easily disabled. cctv should always be installed in such a manner that all angles are covered. so you have a camera in every position required to cover all entry points.

how are they going to gain access to the back garden? the front should cover access points to the back. then the back should be angled to crossed over so covering both sides.

Perhaps not every house looks like yours.

Caporegime
Perhaps not every house looks like yours.

Regardless it's just a matter of angles and number of cameras.

Each camera should be covered by at least another in such a way you can identify who disabled it. I have 3 at the front of the house 1 down low at face height. The other 2 up high covering the one at face height and both sides of the house and driveway.

Soldato
Regardless it's just a matter of angles and number of cameras.

Each camera should be covered by at least another in such a way you can identify who disabled it. I have 3 at the front of the house 1 down low at face height. The other 2 up high covering the one at face height and both sides of the house and driveway.
Unfortunately to do that id have to have a camera at the bottom of the garden. Which is too far to run power or data to.

Soldato
My back garden camera is located low down but the front is up in the eves and covers my garden, part of the public pathway (culdesac) and part of next doors path.

Same with most of the neighbours, in my opinion the front garden is no problem whatsoever but if someone could see into my back garden with cctv id be miffed.

Back
Top Bottom