Indy 500 103

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Yep, definitely a McLaren operation.

If Alonso is serious about running the 500 again he'd better start offering his services to teams who know how to go racing at Indy...or indeed, know how to go racing at anywhere.

Man of Honour
It gets better... As they didn't have the steering wheel, they bought one from Cosworth.
It arrived and didn't have the paddle shifters. Reason? Because McLaren didn't order them.

*speechless*

Soldato
Alonso went out to practice Sunday with an entirely new setup, but in the frantic changeover a mistake was made in converting inches to the metric system the English team uses and the car scraped and sparked on his first lap. It had to be fixed and Alonso got in just five more laps before rain ended the session.

When it came time for Alonso to make his final last-gasp qualifying attempt late Sunday afternoon, the Spaniard was given a car that Brown and de Ferran were concerned might not perform.

“Gil and I went to the motorhome and told Fernando: ‘We are going to try this, but this could go well or really wrong. Are you comfortable?’” Brown said. “And Fernando said, ‘Let’s go for it.’”
Respect to Alonso here. That takes massive balls to go out and do 230+ mph in a hastily built car with an untested setup.

Soldato
It gets better... As they didn't have the steering wheel, they bought one from Cosworth.
It arrived and didn't have the paddle shifters. Reason? Because McLaren didn't order them.

*speechless*

The steering wheel is a spec part from Cosworth who supply some of the electronics. Just an oversight I'd expect as they're used to building from scratch, not running an off the shelf car.

Soldato
Ok, this is the first time I have heard Alex Brundle's voice. What the ****? Is this witchcraft or something? I can understand a kid looking quite like their dad, but sounding EXACTLY like him in every respect is just plain spooky.

Soldato
Just to reiterate this Alex Brundle voice thing, it has to heard to be believed. If Martin ever does pops his cloggs them at least there is a like for like replacement ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom