Travelling alone

Permabanned
OP
Ramada apollo double the space of your usual.

Gave me a free upgrade VIP package woth 95 euros and no credit card swipe either.

Cuttebtky upstairs in their roof top bar having a awesome burger it's very fancy.

Did get a good deal though £211 for 3 nights

Permabanned
OP
Yup was watching for a while at over £300. Then boom.
2mgwnwy.jpg

Soldato
I actually prefer travelling alone - went to the Philippines and Thailand on my own last year and it was amazing. Although did get a fair bit of stick for Thailand, but only spend 2 days in BKK and went traipsing around Rural Thailand and stayed in the Rainforest which was cool as it was a guided tour, always easy to meet people but I like being on my own and have no issues going for a week or two without talking to anyone but wait staff. The only downside was that my phone broke in SE Asia and couldn't get it repaired so I went three weeks without any form of phone for Maps, Translation etc - but that was good in a way too!

Associate
I think it's generally the older generation who seem to think solo travel is weird. I had a similar reaction whilst I was sat on the plane flying out to Germany on my own after I broke up with my partner. We had a trip to Berlin already booked but as it was somewhere I'd always wanted to go I decided to just go on my own anyway and I'm so glad I didn't cancel because it was the best decision ever.

I stayed in a hostel and met loads of interesting people, some of whom I still message occasionally on Facebook now and no doubt will meetup with again in the future. Being thrown in to a different environment / culture on your own not knowing anyone in the country was actually quite an adrenaline rush I found. I had to navigate public transport, read maps to get to places and try and understand various signs in a foreign language whilst attempting to speak the language at times, it was all part of the fun. Also as someone else mentioned the freedom to not be tied to anyone's schedule other than your own is a great feeling and shouldn't be underestimated. You can plan your own itinerary and change it as and when you want which gives a great sense of freedom. I think the only time when I became a little apprehensive was the first night when I arrived and was sat in the bar on my own thinking what if I don't talk to anyone or meet anyone and felt a tiny bit lonely but after a couple of drinks I had the dutch courage to strike up conversations with random people and that's how I ended up meeting so many awesome people.

I'm planning my next solo adventures already and can't wait. If you apply common sense you are often fine and for the most part people are generally helpful and kind, despite how bleak the world appears at times.

Associate
Last year I travelled to New Zealand for 4 weeks. I visited friends in Auckland for a week then hired a car and drove around the north island doing exactly what I wanted. It was amazing.
Regardless of what people say, travelling on your own is a laid back liberating experience. The flights are easy; you have nothing to worry about and you can just relax.
I’m off to Greece for 10 nights next week, I can’t wait.

Soldato
For anyone who is thinking about it. Book yourself into a shared hostel and if they have a local pub crawl event. Go on it, even if you dont drink. You will meet people under both circumstances without having to make an effort. Really takes you out your comfort zone.

If it wasnt for the places I have visited in the past then I wouldnt of made the decision to pack my stuff here in the UK and move to Switzerland. And I dont know anyone there or the local language.....yet. :)

Permabanned
OP
Well I ended up at a festival type gig. Managed to get in free some how.

What's with the Dutch and drinking wine. I thought they loved the beer..

Soldato
I travelled to Amsterdam and then on to Maastricht on my own. Went fine. Was one of my first times alone it does take a while getting used to eating in restaurants alone but I had a decent curry in Amsterdam iirc.
Same here. Lovely scenery by train. :) and Maastricht is a great city to visit !

Soldato
Spent most of last week away on business and will be off again on my own on business in a few weeks ... don't really have an issue with it at all, in fact prefer travelling alone as it means if I want to have a quiet time and do nothing I can.

When I go to Japan I normally travel with my Dad but tend to spend most of our time separate except at the hotel as we want to go to different places a lot of the time during the day. Given how little sense of direction he has I don't see the fear of getting lost stopping someone going away on their own being a big hurdle (hell I got lost in Tokyo for a couple of hours one day when I was there last time, bit of a laugh, got to wander around back streets and see all sorts of things I wouldn't normally ... and with Google Maps you are only lost until you decide to do something about it).

Associate
I love travelling alone, but hate sitting in a restaurant alone. I got sent to Cagliari for 2 weeks with work and just felt awkward eating a 3 course alone. On the other hand I don't have have to talk to people while eating:D

Back
Top Bottom