TV Licence Super Thread

Associate
What I don't understand is why the tv licence is not included in the taxes as it is being done in some of the other countries?

I just ended my tv contract as even when having paid, I still got those calls telling me to pay up asap even though I was paid up for 6 months, which is insane.

Caporegime
What I don't understand is why the tv licence is not included in the taxes as it is being done in some of the other countries?

I just ended my tv contract as even when having paid, I still got those calls telling me to pay up asap even though I was paid up for 6 months, which is insane.

Being in the general tax would be the worst thing! You would end up having to pay more than what it is now

Soldato
Yes and it's not a public service and hasn't been for a long time, it's an entertainment business. They have no right taking tax money.

Associate
I've always done the notv form, never had an issue. Moved into one property and someone came whilst I was working, and my partner let them in. We had nothing to hide anyway there is never even an Ariel in the TV and just a firestick with just netflix, amazon and plex in history.

When we moved again, the property had piles of tv licensing letters on the floor, saying that it was the final notice and the cardiff enforcement team are going to visit. The property had been empty a considerable amount of time so it was a waste of tax payers money if you ask me. They never even visited and it's been 8 months.

Associate
I have lived in the US and Canada for many years and neither have any tv licence as the networks get their money from commercials or for cable channels, they would get their money from membership, like Netflix etc...

When I lived in the US I had around 150 channels and then you have the numerous cable channels (or paid tv); have to remember though that many channels are in different languages for the people living there.

Associate
There are many people who pay for a TV Licence who don't actually need one. Unfortunately the TV Licensing website doesn't make it easy to find out how to be Legally Licence Free. You don't need to get rid of your TV set and you can still watch TV programmes, as long as you don't watch Live TV and you don't use iplayer then you don't need to buy a TV Licence at all. But remember, when they start sending you threat letters, just IGNORE THEM. Also, when they start sending goons to come knocking on your door, just IGNORE THEM. These goons are paid commission to scare you into buying a licence, whether you need one or not. Never let them into your home as they will try to fit you up. Never even answer your door to them as they will try to twist anything you say in order to make you appear guilty. Just ignore them! Here's a link to the most informative video that tells you everything you need to know about the TV Licence in detail - including how to deal with TV Licensing goons at the door. Well worth a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXcLqvFjMhE&t=258s

Permabanned
Do not do this it's bad advice and an admission you are hiding something. They will pursue you through the courts and throw the kitchen sink at you if you try this very outdated method.

It isn't.

We have a presumption of innocence here so you don't have to cooperate with them in any way. It's up to them to prove what they are alleging and the only way that's going to happen is if someone is silly enough to incriminate themselves and either admit it to one of the Capita Gestapo or let them in.

They can't get a search warrant on the basis of zero evidence and the TV detector vans are a myth, evidence from which have never been used in court.

Haven't paid in 13 years and have had zero problems. Just slam the door in their faces or, if you want a laugh, taunt them with basic principles of our legal system which they clearly didn't cover in their ten-minute course.

Last one came to my door I wished him luck getting a search warrant which he threatened. Clueless jobsworths who prey on people who don't know that they have no powers at all.

I'm not paying for government propaganda. They can go **** themselves.

Soldato
So very interestingly a chap turned up just now at the door from TV Licensing. I've filled out the declaration online that I don't watch live TV for last 4 years and genuinely don't do it and had no letters from them in years so a bit random.

Asked to see the TV which I showed him doesn't even have an aerial plugged in and then asked to see BBCi player which just loaded into the blank login screen since I never use it.

In and out in about a minute, looks like he just came for my house as he got in the car right after. Must be going after us lot who figured how to fill out the declaration online :D

Soldato
So very interestingly a chap turned up just now at the door from TV Licensing. I've filled out the declaration online that I don't watch live TV for last 4 years and genuinely don't do it and had no letters from them in years so a bit random.

Asked to see the TV which I showed him doesn't even have an aerial plugged in and then asked to see BBCi player which just loaded into the blank login screen since I never use it.

In and out in about a minute, looks like he just came for my house as he got in the car right after. Must be going after us lot who figured how to fill out the declaration online :D

I personally wouldn't have let them in, regardless of whether or not you have a TV hooked up to an aerial. What would you have done if you loaded up the iPlayer app and it showed the home screen - I've heard stories of them taking that as evidence that you watch TV, so should pay for a license.

Glad that it went all OK for you though :)

Back
Top Bottom