• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Are people seriously upset that the 8 core 16 thread CPU starts at $329?

I just don't understand that :( what more do you want them to do?

They've had 2 generations at that core/price, and now a 3rd. Perhaps, using this new node, maybe shake the market up again by offering 12 cores for that price point, and now offer 8 cores at the old 6 core price point, and so on etc, get rid of 4 cores at the low end well and truly, allowing 6 cores to become the mainstream.

Permabanned
If Intel do that they'll still have a weaker product for a given price, and AMD can then drop their prices and release the 16 core part @ £600.

I should've added: I'm still quite liking the look of these chips, and I'll be buying one (probably a 3700X or 3800X around Xmas after prices have settled). However, I wish AMD had better pricing to really smack Intel hard(er) and take (more) market share.

Associate
I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the product stack but I'll almost certainly wait and give Intel a chance to respond. IF AMD had announced/released
a 12 core or 16 core 5Ghz monster I'd be all over it but at the moment its £500 for a CPU that probably won't beat a 9900KS in gaming. If AMD hold back
the best or keep prices a little higher than I'd like it may well mean I abort plans to spend again with AMD for the first time in nearly 20 years in the CPU space.
The upgrade is just not quite compelling enough and I know Intel really do perform in games. AMD need to show me 12 or 16 cores with higher clock speed for me to believe
they'll be relevant in 2-4 years time, if not I'll wait for Zen 3 or get the 9900KS.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Are people seriously upset that the 8 core 16 thread CPU starts at $329?

I just don't understand that :( what more do you want them to do?

Well the thing is people have had people like you hyping them up for months and months lol.

With all the supposed product stack changes etc.

I'm more than happy with what AMD have offered though. I'm in for the 3800X at least, potentially the 3900X

Given I bought my 2700 for 270 at launch I would have preferred a $300 RRP for the 3700X though.

I just need a new graphics card as well though

Soldato
That was happening 2 years ago...all it is is 15% faster than 2700x

If you can get a 2700 for £200 that’s the chip to get !

15% increase at a much lower tdp is significant though. Why are you writing it off like that's not an achievement.

That's decent and although anyone on Ryzen 2XXX series don't need to upgrade, people on the 1XXX series or older Intel CPU have a great upgrade path at a decent price point.

Caporegime
15% increase at a much lower tdp is significant though. Why are you writing it off like that's not an achievement.

That's decent and although anyone on Ryzen 2XXX series don't need to upgrade, people on the 1XXX series or older Intel CPU have a great upgrade path at a decent price point.

3800x £399...tad pricy no?

Associate
My only disappointment is no 16c at launch - solid line up otherwise. I guess some people had some "overly optimistic" expectations? I'm looking at getting a x570 mobo, 2x16GB ram and a heavily discounted 2700 then waiting for the 16c. I recon it'll be a massive step up from my current 2600k :D

Caporegime
Give it away of course.

It seems like that sometimes, AMD were missing about 15% gaming performance to Coffeelake because of the clock difference, looks like the clocks are no higher but with a 15% boost in IPC they are now about equal, of course we have to wait for independent benchmarks but i think its probably right, i think the 8 core Zen will sit around the 9900K and it is much cheaper.

Caporegime
How disappointing. I mean it isn't bad, but clock speeds and pricing are a disappointment.

Should have known most of the leaks were too good to be true.

Associate
To be fair yes i would like to have seen these part ~50$ cheaper but they are competitive at the end of the day.
Still its likely that the only part you will need is the 3700x and overclock it, even another 100-150mhz will ensure it price/performance victory by a mile.

Associate
Found this interesting

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...ased/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

I will be trading in my CH6 and 1700 for probably the 3800X if it turns out to be a single CCX design as I suspect this will be the best gaming CPU in the lineup.

Everyone has seen the prices and whined, not sure why, AMD released Zen and Zen+ at the same price points, currently AMD chips are priced super low to clear the channel, day 1 prices are the same as previous Zen day 1 prices and will drop over their lifetime the same.

You either pay day 1 tax and accept it or you don't, you can wait for price reductions to happen etc.

Intel has nothing to offer, the 9900ks is a gimmick CPU with more than likely exceptionally low amount of stock, and will be more expensive than the current 9900k, and I don't see Intel dropping their prices, they are too fat stupid and arrogant for that.

I'm excited to see Navi evolve as well, shame they didn't discuss pricing on that although I've heard it rumoured that they are targeting 2060 prices with 2070 performance, time will tell.

Overall i expect AMD to make considerable inroads on market share this year and next with this product stack.

Just want to see some reviews now, and some motherboard options, looking at the Taichi myself, or possibly the Asus CH8, won't be touching Gigabyte though, and probably not MSI either unless they make a decent B550 Gaming Pro Carbon

Back
Top Bottom