• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
Interesting if true. It's cool that even unpatched PS4 games see a big boost in load times. Hopefully similar advances can be made on other platforms. First world problems of course, but lengthy load times in some titles are a pain.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sony took notice from Xbox in this regard

And their mantra is that backwards compatibility should be flaws and “just work”. That means putting that ps4 disc in the game should load super fast and get upscaled to native 4K with no game patches needed. Not only that but you get to play the same game with ps4 owners without issue just as if it was a ps4.

Caporegime
Interesting. It seems they have put a lot of effort in to the SSD system, hopefully not to the detriment of other systems. But there's that word - patch. It'll be interesting to see how an unpatched PS4 game loads compared to an PS5-patched one.

Soldato
I'm sure Sony and XBOX are looking at the next gen machines and thinking "Lets take 50% of the current PC gaming market by offering up a machine that sits at a fraction of the price that it would take to build a 4k60fps PC". They could absolutely tear the PC space apart with that mindset. Hundreds of thousands, hell maybe even in the millions, of PC gamers I'm sure would jump ship at the prospect of a console costing less than a high end GPU, which enables them to play 4k60fps solid, with HDR, with Freesync tech. And also there are the rumours of proper mouse and keyboard support, I know dozens and dozens of PC gamers I play with that share the same mindset regarding the next gen consoles. MS and SONY could make huge amounts of profit if they drive that wedge in.
But you're also forgetting that a PC system does a lot more then just run games..;)

Soldato
Any exciting news from AMD at Computex overnight?

It was good, but as expected didn't match the internet hype, not that I actually believed for a second a 12 and 16 core CPU would be launching able to achieve 5GHz at the costs that have been touted around the Youtube channels. Looks like AMD shifted the stack downwards, charging double what was touted in the leaks and nowhere near the 5GHz leaked clock speeds. It looks good, but nothing to absolutely blow Intel out the water as we were being told :p:D.

Navi was only touched on, nothing focused on PS5.

PC gaming (lets be honest, that's what the majority of us do around here) is being priced well out of the reach of the common folk. PC gamers are losing interest at the extortionate price gouging now, I expect plenty of the PC crowd will be not upgrading that PC for a while and instead will put the money towards buying a next gen PS5/New Xbox when they arrives. I wont be upgrading my two rigs for a while, quite looking forward to the new consoles way more of late, just please for god sake make them 60fps capable machines, ideally 4k native.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It was good, but as expected didn't match the internet hype, not that I actually believed for a second a 12 and 16 core CPU would be launching able to achieve 5GHz at the costs that have been touted around the Youtube channels. Looks like AMD shifted the stack downwards, charging double what was touted in the leaks and nowhere near the 5GHz leaked clock speeds. It looks good, but nothing to absolutely blow Intel out the water as we were being told :p:D.

Navi was only touched on, nothing focused on PS5.

PC gaming (lets be honest, that's what the majority of us do around here) is being priced well out of the reach of the common folk. PC gamers are losing interest at the extortionate price gouging now, I expect plenty of the PC crowd will be not upgrading that PC for a while and instead will put the money towards buying a next gen PS5/New Xbox when they arrives. I wont be upgrading my two rigs for a while, quite looking forward to the new consoles way more of late, just please for god sake make them 60fps capable machines, ideally 4k native.

Sorry to repeat myself, but there is no way it will be any less than 4K@60fps. It would be a catastrophic letdown for Sony to deliver any less. I can see them using some dodgy checkerboarding technique for 8K.

Soldato
Interesting. It seems they have put a lot of effort in to the SSD system, hopefully not to the detriment of other systems. But there's that word - patch. It'll be interesting to see how an unpatched PS4 game loads compared to an PS5-patched one.

1st off the below is no guarantee of course but it makes a lot of sense.

One way or the other the PS5 and the next Xbox are going to be very similar hardware indeed (and with the potential MS/Sony agreement could even use the same cloud network...which really only benefits Sony in one sense) - so both sides really need differentiators to really get the platform selling, For the most part the Xbox has seemingly always been more powerful at the hardware level in every generation , but Sony nearly always sells 10's of millions more units.

They may have "secret sauce" on each system which is different - but this will most likely need to be programmed for anyway so to come up with anything that will help every application no matter what - really makes sense.

This could be complete pie in the sky anyway, and even if true there is no reason why MS might not have something similar as well (it kind of makes sense that its storage based given that's the major change in the system since last gen was released)

Will be interesting to see how much time there will be between the two releases, and whether even if (lets say MS) release first, whether buyers hang back to see the first reviews of Sony before buying in vast numbers or not (obviously die hard fans of each system may well buy as close to release as possible - the casual gamers are really where its gonna be won or lost as in previous gens.

Associate
Sorry to repeat myself, but there is no way it will be any less than 4K@60fps

Not sure about this. The last two generation consoles have gone for 30fps in the most of their games. Can't see this happening when they can get away with 30fps. They will be more interested in making the game look good hence 30fps. Why would they change a habit of a lifetime and go for 60fps with inferior graphics. Developers are after eye candy as they know it sells rather than having the game run smooth. If the PS5 includes some kind of VRR or freesync then the frame rate could be unlocked so it wouldn't matter so much. I personally want 60fps or close to with VRR but not sure if this is going to happen. I think primarily it's going to be 30fps standard with a possible option to unlock to around 40-50fps max.

Can't see 4k @ 60fps for the price the console is going to cost. Maybe if they release a premium console for much more than the standard console then it may be achievable.

Caporegime

Not sure about this. The last two generation consoles have gone for 30fps in the most of their games. Can't see this happening when they can get away with 30fps. They will be more interested in making the game look good hence 30fps. Why would they change a habit of a lifetime and go for 60fps with inferior graphics. Developers are after eye candy as they know it sells rather than having the game run smooth. If the PS5 includes some kind of VRR or freesync then the frame rate could be unlocked so it wouldn't matter so much. I personally want 60fps or close to with VRR but not sure if this is going to happen. I think primarily it's going to be 30fps standard with a possible option to unlock to around 40-50fps max.

Can't see 4k @ 60fps for the price the console is going to cost. Maybe if they release a premium console for much more than the standard console then it may be achievable.
Some pro games had an option to run 1080p@60fps. It would just be a logical step for me to then go 4K@60fps.

Sony are well aware of the current state of PC gaming with component prices. I reckon they’ll see the PS5 as the biggest opportunity ever to cannibalise the PC gamer market. But they are also aware of how PC gamers love minimum 60fps gaming. I think they’ll push the boat out to try and drag them over, even if it means losing a bit more on the console itself.

Maybe games will still have options. Full bells and whistles @30fps, or a dial down (but still native 4K)@60fps.

Tbh, I don’t know how much of an improvement graphics wise on the 5 that I really need. Some pro titles nowadays are absolutely stunning. Like others, I actually think it’s the potential super duper speedy SSD I’m looking forward to most. Game loading times put me off playing sometimes. The idea of firing up something like RDR2 and be playing in seconds is very appealing.

Caporegime
Unfortunately, I'm starting to think that Ray Tracing will throw a spanner in the works with 4K60 and we might see less and less games running at that ideal. We might even go back to 1080p30! :(

I haz 4090!
Don
Tbh, I don’t know how much of an improvement graphics wise on the 5 that I really need. Some pro titles nowadays are absolutely stunning. Like others, I actually think it’s the potential super duper speedy SSD I’m looking forward to most. Game loading times put me off playing sometimes. The idea of firing up something like RDR2 and be playing in seconds is very appealing.

I was playing MK11 last night, and I couldn't agree more. I'm fine with the graphical quality of games today, I just want them to load faster, and be a rock solid 60fps on consoles. If they nail that, I'll move over from PC.

Soldato
For me having the SSD with a nice reliable frame rate is appealing - hopefully 60FPS. It makes such a difference. Hopefully it’ll be whisper quiet too.

Edit: Pretty much as Worthy says. Hoping they pour in the engineering quality ala One X. I don’t think Sony put in the care needed in the Pro but I suspect the PS5 will hit the mark.

Associate
I had to buy a pro and one X, pro for the exclusives and the one X because all the enhanced games either look better or run better. If PS5 manages 4k60fps on all games with all those exclusives it has I for one will not be buying the next gen xbox as well this time around.

But it will take a lot of power to manage 4k60fps, it takes a beefy PC to manage that at a high cost.

Soldato
There are just no XBox exclusives that I want anymore. Sony have smashed it this gen and if they continue with their exclusive games in the same way then I will stick with them and drop MS next gen.

Caporegime
There are just no XBox exclusives that I want anymore. Sony have smashed it this gen and if they continue with their exclusive games in the same way then I will stick with them and drop MS next gen.

A bit early to say that really, we don't know what all those new studio acquisitions will bring to the platform, yet. I will probably end up buying both but only PS5 at launch.

Soldato
Telling ya,

4k@30fps will be the norm, ray tracing will be a buzz word and limit the fps in most games.

As for it being quiet, yeah good luck with that lol. I trust a Sony product more than most, but the more power you squeeze under the hood the more cooling it typically requires. This thing is looking to be a beast console and cooling it won't be a whisper quiet affair, especially as everything other than the guts will have to be done on a tight budget. Those fans will be ramping up boys!

Soldato
A bit early to say that really, we don't know what all those new studio acquisitions will bring to the platform, yet. I will probably end up buying both but only PS5 at launch.

Quantum Break 2? Ryse 2? :) I'm kidding. As you say, it is probably a bit early, but I already know that I will only go for one console next time around and I'm pretty sure I already know which one it will be.

I do like Phil Spencer though and there is the possibility that he will get things right with a new gen and a fresh start rather than having to clean up the mess made by his predecessors.

I am always excited by new hardware so I am still very interested in what ever comes our way.

Back
Top Bottom