• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
I was wondering if someone might help me out with settings for Wattman for my custom water cooled Vega 64? I know this question must get asked a lot but it's a rather large thread to go hunting.

When under water should we still be undervolting? Also, i've seen mention of "locking the P states" but i'm not sure what that actually means and how to do it.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
As above ^ for you as well - Lock the p states by setting the highest clock on wattman as the min and the max by right clicking on it. I used to use 1650mhz and 1050mhz on the hbm with 1000mv for the hbm and 1050 1100 on the last 2 P states
If you are lucky and have a very nice binned chip in the lottery then a LC bios will do well for you, if not it will just crash a lot. you are better off with the 64 bios and tune it to its limits

Soldato
Got a question and thought I ask here instead of making a new thread. The 64 can run up to 4 monitors, but is there any restrictions to that, as in resolution or so ? I'm wondering since I have some problem with my PC and starting to run out of ideas. I have the following monitors: One 34'' 3440 x 1400, one 27'' 1440 x 2560 and one 32'' 2560 x 1440 monitors. The problem I have is that the PC randomly shuts down, the screens goes black, grey or white (it is different everytime), sometimes there is a noise as well. On a few occasions the PC just restarted itself as well. Not sure if it is due to the GPU can't handle the 3 monitors or something else. (Have tried two different 64's and same thing happens on both.)

Soldato
Associate
im contemplating upgrading my EVGA 970 SC to a Gigabyte Vega 64 as its within my price range and same manu as the mobo. Current set up is a 2600X, 16gb 3000mhz DDR4, gigabyte aorus pro motherboard, coolermaster 850W psu. I'm not intestested in overclocking. Would the 64 be a worthy upgrade?

Associate
im contemplating upgrading my EVGA 970 SC to a Vega 64 as its withing my price range. Current set up is a 2600X, 16gb 3000mhz DDR4, gigabyte aorus pro motherboard, coolermaster 850W psu. I'm not intestested in overclocking. Would the 64 be a worthy upgrade?
If youre not willing to tinker with the card then no,its not worth it. Running the card stock is a huge diservice to yourself. If you are still adament on not tinkering with your GPU then get an rx580 or the new navi stuff when it comes out or even a rtx2060.

Soldato
im contemplating upgrading my EVGA 970 SC to a Gigabyte Vega 64 as its within my price range and same manu as the mobo. Current set up is a 2600X, 16gb 3000mhz DDR4, gigabyte aorus pro motherboard, coolermaster 850W psu. I'm not intestested in overclocking. Would the 64 be a worthy upgrade?

Definitely OC it. Easier to recommend RTX 2060/70 for stock settings unfortunately.

Associate
If youre not willing to tinker with the card then no,its not worth it. Running the card stock is a huge diservice to yourself. If you are still adament on not tinkering with your GPU then get an rx580 or the new navi stuff when it comes out or even a rtx2060.

looking at GPU boss, comparing the 2, the 64 is a huge step forward, the RX580 is a sideways step

Caporegime
@LtMatt

The only way I can change the voltage from the 1100MV it sets when it's on my 4K TV is by reducing voltage in the overall MSI Afterburner voltage control.
It ignores any and all P State changes regardless of the software.

It can be sat at 900mv in Windows on my 2560x1080 monitor, as soon as I move that to my 4K it's 1100MV static.

Been like that for as long as I've tested it with a 4K TV.

Caporegime
@LtMatt

The only way I can change the voltage from the 1100MV it sets when it's on my 4K TV is by reducing voltage in the overall MSI Afterburner voltage control.
It ignores any and all P State changes regardless of the software.

It can be sat at 900mv in Windows on my 2560x1080 monitor, as soon as I move that to my 4K it's 1100MV static.

Been like that for as long as I've tested it with a 4K TV.

Can you try setting everything to stock in WattMan, disabling MSI AB temporarily (to stop it running at startup and or applying an overclock), then restart and let the GPU run at stock clocks/voltage and see if it still runs at 1.1 at 4k?

Soldato
The driver changes the voltage once it renders 4K.

1.1V rather than the 950mv.

Ignores change in wattman.

Hah, so that's why that was! Been trying to run UV but had no luck under 1.050v. Also 4K on TV. Figured it was just universal voltage limits (afaik it can be modified through powerplay tables), didn't realise it was resolution-dependant.

Caporegime
Hah, so that's why that was! Been trying to run UV but had no luck under 1.050v. Also 4K on TV. Figured it was just universal voltage limits (afaik it can be modified through powerplay tables), didn't realise it was resolution-dependant.
It could be due to changed settings in WattMan, or the fact that 4K may just require more resources from the GPU.

Soldato
It could be due to changed settings in WattMan, or the fact that 4K may just require more resources from the GPU.

Thing is, even if I put the clocks to 1100 it uses the same amount of voltage as at >1600, and for 1100mhz I tried everything from 800 to 1000mv, while at even 1700mhz with 1150mv it doesn't really go above 1100mv.

Caporegime

It's really not.

As far as I can tell its when messing with p states and then going to 4K just makes it ignore p state voltage setting essentially.

How can it ever be doing 1.1V when I've got 950mv as my highest setting? It's just ignoring it.

I'll try my gpu fully at stock and check 4K.
But even if it does work, it's unusable untweaked and will be shooting 1.2V into itself.

Back
Top Bottom