• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Permabanned
Caporegime
Does anyone know which will be best for gaming? 8/12/16 core? Lisa indicated that the 3800x was the top gaming chip. But the 3900x has 100Mhz more. im confused. I just want the best gaming chip.
Until the reviews come out and its properly benchmarked then surely until then its just educated guesses and assumptions?

My 'guess' is that the 3800x is probably the best value for performance for gaming. The 3900x will perform better but its quite a price hike over the 3800x and likely is only really useful for those with lots of multithreading tasks.

I might be wrong, but its purely my own way of seeing it :)

Associate
I was all aboard the hype train until Linus said, 'all the motherboards have a fan'. Erm. No thanks. Also, for 11 watts is a fan really needed? The Surface Pro from 2017 used a 15 watt CPU and was fanless. PCs kinda have a load of air going through it. Kill the fan please.

Soldato
Does anyone know which will be best for gaming? 8/12/16 core? Lisa indicated that the 3800x was the top gaming chip. But the 3900x has 100Mhz more. im confused. I just want the best gaming chip.

No the 3800x is the gaming chip that they are comparing to the i9 9900k because core count and performance compared to price.

There is no reason that the 3900x wouldn't be faster at gaming especially in newer titles but they pitching that against other chips because its performance to cost is greater.

It still showed an increase in performance single core for the 3900x compared to the 3800x in the chart. Can't confirm till reviews of course.

Permabanned
Well 3900x is 2x6 core design you gain 64mb of cache instead of 32 cause of that. So in general You will have more per core :p I think it should Overclock better due to 2x6 core contact area with IHS will be 200% basically. So cooling should be easyer.

Associate
I was all aboard the hype train until Linus said, and all the motherboards have a fan. Erm. No thanks. Also, for 11 watts is a fan really needed? The Surface Pro from 2017 used a 15 watt CPU and was fanless. PCs kinda have a load of air going through it. Kill the fan please.

Linus Torvalds is commenting on the AMD launch? At least he might actually have a clue what he was talking about.

For the record I also used to work in a PC shop and could, given the money, hire people who know what they are talking about (ok at least half the time). Doesn't make ME someone worth listening to does it?

Soldato
I was all aboard the hype train until Linus said, and all the motherboards have a fan. Erm. No thanks. Also, for 11 watts is a fan really needed? The Surface Pro from 2017 used a 15 watt CPU and was fanless. PCs kinda have a load of air going through it. Kill the fan please.

It is passive until needed so unless your pimping out with multiple m.2 drives it won't be on. For gaming it likely won't be, for heavy compiling and rendering it probably is though.

Associate
Can't make up my mind anymore. I was thinking about the 12 core, but am now looking at the 8 cores. It would be a mistake for me to splash out £450+ when the only real multi tasking I do is play games with a lot of internet tabs open.

It's so difficult to just say to myself 'wait for reviews, you idiot. That's all that matters at this point'. It's fun to speculate but in the end you just have to be patient and wait :(

Soldato
Can't make up my mind anymore. I was thinking about the 12 core, but am now looking at the 8 cores. It would be a mistake for me to splash out £450+ when the only real multi tasking I do is play games with a lot of internet tabs open.

It's so difficult to just say to myself 'wait for reviews, you idiot. That's all that matters at this point'. It's fun to speculate but in the end you just have to be patient and wait :(

6 core, OC to max and get a better GPU or monitor to compliment it/ spend savings on

Back
Top Bottom