Advice for a new build in a Define-C

Soldato
Hi guys :)

I'm new to watercooling and planning a build in my Fractal Define C (atx not m-atx) version when Zen2 is released sometime this summer. I've read a lot of threads and watched a lot of guides so my current plan is:

• Hard line tubing, 14mm thick
  • 280mm rad (front) & 240mm rad (top)
  • CPU & GPU full cover blocks (already have)
I feel pretty confident with the layout but I'm struggling on the pump and reservoir front, this is due to size constraints in the case. (see pic below)

4e25ae66765d1c916a35b2165e0a6cf6.png

Green is for pump / res positions

Most watercooling builds with the Define C I've seen have the pump / res attached vertically underneath the front radiator where there is a removable drive cage, however mine is filled with drives so I can't do that. So heres what I'm thinking:

• Have a small pump res combo attached to the top front radiator, but will that get in the way of tubing between the rads or the ram.
  • Have a horizontal pump res combo beneath the graphics card, but will that get in the way of tubing to the card itself and how would I drain that with a horizontal res
  • Have a separate pump and res, with the pump below the GPU just to the left of the bottom rad and the reservoir attached above it to the radiator with connecting tubing.
For the 3rd option I'm thinking of something like the below combo:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitspower-z-multi-100mm-water-tank-wc-317-bp.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-d5-vario-with-front-cover-1-2-barbs-sata-power-wc-43j-xs.html

Cheers for any help you can give, or troubles I might have missed.

Edit
I should stress the height between the GPU & shroud is only 90mm & probably less than 150mm in height to attach a res to the front rad

Last edited:
Soldato
Get a radiator that has ports on both sides, then use one as a fill-port thru the roof of the case. I've done this with a 280mm Alphacool x-flow in a Define S.

Then you only need a pump, not a pump/res. Put the pump as low in the case as you can and immediately after the pump outlet put a T to provide a drain.

When you want to fill, open both upwards facing holes on the top radiator and fill. I would suggest attaching around a foot of tubing to each upwards radiator outlet with a funnel in one to use as the fill. This will get a very high degree of fill before you even have to turn on the pump. Once visibly filled, turn on the pump and be ready to add more fluid as the loop bleeds.

Remember you don't need a reservoir; AIO don't have them do they?

Soldato
OP
So I've got most of the parts now :) Only really missing the fittings and tubing, and a pump head. I ended up buying a second 240mm (slim) radiator in case I need it for the front end if the 280mm doesn't fit with the loop.

This is my pump and res I bought
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £96.94 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Does anyone know the best way to attach the res to a 280 or 240mm radiator at the front? I'm thinking of having the pump standalone at the bottom of the case, and link it up with the res attached vertically to the radiator. I could fit both under the GPU since I don't use any of the other PCI slots but I would be worried it would make it harder to drain. So any advice on the best way to attach these 2 pieces together would be appreciated.

Also would this pump head fit as a standalone
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £33.95 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

I need a separate pump head as it wont be joined to the reservoir

Soldato
OP
I'm still setting it up :D I've got all the components now bar fittings and tubing. Going for a Hardline build. Just have to work out how to attach the resovoir to the radiator. Waiting for my new Zen build and then I'll be doing it

Back
Top Bottom