Home network setup

Soldato
It really is a difficult one with the future proofing aspect, potentially some decent copper Cat5e is good for 10G, but currently it must be rare that 1Gb/Sec is fully utilised given hardware constraints at either end of the cables. I wired the house fully with 5e just over ten years ago, if I were starting from scratch now I'd go down the 6 route. I've got everything in trunking so changing to 6 wouldn't be too difficult as it could all be pulled through and changing sockets, patch panels and patch cables would be the biggest hassle but could probably be done over a weekend.
Indeed. Most of mine can't be pulled through too easily, though it could be done. But it was cat 6 anyway.

Even then, a 100gb 2 hour film uses what, 15% of a gig ethernet? I must future proof my house for 32k streaming!

Associate
I wanted a switch with 10Gb capability because... well er..
Well really dont need it but running everything through the VM server out to the rest of the lan via 10gb SFP is fine, it runs 8 ports at a gig for normal kit and uplinking to another switch, vlan trunking and heavier lifting from the VM'd nas box can go on the big boy ports.

Of course it really isnt needed but.. hey when you have the ability to pick one up for a hundred quid why not try it.

Associate
OP
Indeed. I do wonder what people think they are going to be doing that even worrying about 10g is necessary.
I just figured for future proofing. In 10 years time I don't want to regret not going for something that may handle future needs and had cable which could handle future component upgrades whilst using the same cable.

The cable isn't the main expense.

Associate
OP
I am debating though whether I need shielded or not (s/FTP vs u/FTP). I really have no idea and again it's not the main expense but it seems like people think that's unecessary. UTP just looks like a faf with the hard plastic core.

The cables would terminate under the stairs where the fusebox is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
The plastic core in Cat6 isn't difficult to deal with. In any case, Cat6 cable will have the core even if it is shielded so it makes no difference.

Most people think that shielded cable is unnecessary because it is unnecessary. Domestically, you aren't going to be installing into an electrically noisy environment, you aren't going to be installing huge bundles of cables, and they aren't usually going to be particularly long.

UTP is the cheapest and easiest option and UTP Cat6 is more than adequate. Even Cat5e is still a perfectly viable option.

From what I've seen most of the people advocating exotic network cables have only done a single install, their own home, and chose the cable type based on what sounded like the best instead of doing any proper research.

Back
Top Bottom