Tabletop game mats? Giant mouse mat?

Man of Honour
We currently play card games or things like Azul, Sagrada, Splendor or Carcasonne. We normally use our dining room table, and frankly, it's horrible to play on. Shiny wood surface so everything slides about and as it's a leaf table there's edges that things get caught in.

I'd like to smooth the surface out with a mat.

Something like a giant fabric mouse mat would be lovely, but would need to be a custom size, about 800x600mm would do nicely. Can't go larger than 800 as I'd then have to trim it down. Other half would also prefer something other than black *sigh* Grey would be ok or even a generic unobtrusive pattern.

Is there anywhere that will do these in the UK, or will I have to get a larger one and cut it down to size?

Associate
Checked out OCUK's range of huge mouse mats? That'd be a good start for plain colours.

Link

Otherwise I know gamemat.eu do a couple of 22"x30" ones, might be worth a look. They are heavily themed prints though

Link

Last edited:
Soldato
Some material of your choosing, stick to cheap underlay and cut to size.
This is essentially what my gaming table surface is so it's not hard to the touch and nothing slides about. The underlay has a foil backing as it was left over from laying laminate so it's pretty resilient to drink spills to.
Essentially cost me £15 to cover an 8ft by 4ft piece of chipboard

Associate
I grabbed a silk-style table runner from a local shop to handle most my tabletop gaming needs, I have one that is black for when I play things like X-Wing as it simulates space fairly nicely and one that is a sort of eggshell colour.
Also picked up a cheap custom-sized bright orange piece of fabric (similar material to a bed sheet) from my local fabric shop for when I need to cover a full table at a gaming convention - it makes it much easier for people to find my table if I can just tell them to look for the bright orange table with the flag next to it.

I'm sure you'll have a fabric shop somewhere local to you, if you pop in and ask they should be able to produce something that meets your needs for a relatively low cost.

Soldato
I made a card mat using green felt from a local fabric shop and glued it to a large piece of board. Sadly, one of my cats turned it into a scratching post and I had to bin it, and if I had to do it again, I'd just roll it up. It worked great.

Man of Honour
OP
You can get a 900x900mm neoprene game mat for under £20 if you shop around.

Was actually on the bay looking at some neoprene fabric last night. 150cmx100cm is about £10-15... and that's with a fabric surface on top. Very tempting, would give me some extra for when we extend the table fully.

Man of Honour
OP
Well, I've ordered a few of samples of different neoprene colours and finishes. Also some card table/pool table baize.
I'm planning to make a couple of travel versions of games, *Azul for instance* so will be looking at which take tshirt transfer prints nicely too.

[edit]

Other half mentioned something today. One of our friends has a smallish pool table with tabletop surface that they're looking at unloading soon as they have a kid coming. Something like that may work as both a dining table and a gaming surface. Could use the pockets as cup holders too... ;)

Going to take a look at it next week as I'm going to be over there helping out with a few things.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got a sheet of 3mm neoprene from eBay and a set of tablecloth clips, works really well, I normally leave the tablecloth on just because it's easier but it adds a nice 'squish' to the table, very similar to playing on a nice gaming mat but a bit softer.

It's an utter git to try trim though so make sure you have some good scissors (if you don't buy it to the specific size)

Man of Honour
OP
Got a sheet of 3mm neoprene from eBay and a set of tablecloth clips, works really well, I normally leave the tablecloth on just because it's easier but it adds a nice 'squish' to the table, very similar to playing on a nice gaming mat but a bit softer.

It's an utter git to try trim though so make sure you have some good scissors (if you don't buy it to the specific size)

Didn't think about tablecloth clips. That's a good idea. Cheers. :D

Have read that it's a pain. Someone at the games club I go to is a former seamstress so may ask her if she's ever dealt with it. I've got several various knives and additional blades, plus the other half has some large fabric scissors.
Also going to take the samples with me so I can get a few opinions on which may be the best surface.

Soldato
I just bought some of this from the bay.

LEATHERETTE PRINT FAUX LEATHER CLOTH VINYL UPHOLSTERY MATERIAL FABRIC TABLECLOTH

£7, enough for a full size gaming table. Looks just like mud and works well with my terrain. Much cheaper than a printed gaming mat. Looks like its hard wearing.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for reminding me.
In the end got about half a dozen samples of various fabrics. The 3mm neoprene was nice, but we (read other half) was concerned that it was bit too thick. The baize was just not that nice at all.

Ended up getting 2mx1.5m of "Luxury SUEDE BACKED Neoprene Scuba Wet suit Fabric Material - GREY" Wasn't the cheapest but it's thinner, about 1mm, but has enough give to soften the table surface, making it easier to pick up cards. Plus the suede finish is lovely. Cards and pieces don't move with the slightest of table wobbles.

Now I just need to cut it to size... A job for outside when it stops raining.

Back
Top Bottom