Buying a basic gaming PC

Soldato
Not the 240Gb one -way too small for a singular drive - ok if addition to larger storage.

You could easily get away with the WD 500GB as your main/only drive - if you only planned on having a few games on at any one time (enough for most users who play few games - and you can always uninstall/reinstall). You could always add a conventional drive later if you found yourself needing more space.

If you can afford it the 500Gb SSD would be a fun and worthy extra expense - the speed bump is very significant when compared to a mechanical HDD.

Permabanned
generally aim for something like this:

1080p freesync monitor
amd gpu
either brand cpu
any compatible cpu cooler
8gb ram (2x4gb)
any compatible motherboard
500gb ssd
whatever case you like
power supply ~500w
windows 10 usb
audio: speakers? headset?
extras: mouse mat?

Soldato
So I could have both the SSD and HDD, for maximum storage and speed? It's just more expensive.
Yes, but if funds are a novelty and you don't need the additional storage the 500Gb drive will suffice. As mentioned, you can always add additional storage later when more flush.

What do you plan on installing?

Associate
OP
A handful of games, mainly a few of the Total War ones, Fallout New Vegas, Overwatch, maybe Skyrim. But there are other games that look good at the moment that I might well buy if I have a better PC.

Associate
OP
I'd say I currently have around 30-40 games in my steam library at the moment, although some of them are a lot smaller than others.

Soldato
I'd say I currently have around 30-40 games in my steam library at the moment, although some of them are a lot smaller than others.
You could fit your main games on easily (look at there total install) plus mod packs (skyrim can be a beast woth mods) etc.. You just need be selective - but 500Gb will be fine if selective with your 40 games...

EDIT: And see above @billysielu for additional confirmation :)

Associate
OP
Hey, so if I want to pay for OCUK to put it together for me how do I get that done? Doesn't seem to be an option in checkout or anything.

Soldato
Hey, so if I want to pay for OCUK to put it together for me how do I get that done? Doesn't seem to be an option in checkout or anything.
You need to post in the Pre Sales Forum within the Customer Services Forum - Clicky

Post your request for a build quote either: linking them to this thread and the post number with the spec you want or quote the build within the post (copy and paste the spec). Or if you've made some revisions simply list the components and ask for them to give you quote for build.

Your spec is a very simple build so your quote should be very reasonable. They'll guide you through the process and if you have any concerns/questions ask them - they have always put good representatives in CS.

Associate
OP
So, having asked for a quote for this system I notice they've added a CPU cooler, as well as full cable management and a warranty, any advice on whether those are worth paying for?

Soldato
So, having asked for a quote for this system I notice they've added a CPU cooler, as well as full cable management and a warranty, any advice on whether those are worth paying for?
If you went with the 2500X then yes, you need the cooler as it doesn't come equipped with a stock cooler (easily missed/understandable when guys speccing). What was the cooler specced?

Guessing cable management is part of the build quote - but would expect it to be part of the build process - so a little confused by this, but they could be breaking down the build cost for you. If it's an additional cost how much is it - as there's very little to manage in such a basic build?

Back
Top Bottom