Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well been swimming for years both pool and lakes in the spring summer and swimming does not give you running legs....

Been roped in for a triathon in august the swim is easy, the bike is steady but running has never been my favourite pasttime. So get the 5k program for my Garmin as it should be a steady start which it was so decided to do a little more so 2.5k in total and 2 walk stops....only another 8k to go :(

QUADS OF FIRE the day after.....walking down stairs like i am 88 not 48 :)

Treated myself to a proper pair of running shoes from Derby runners. Great shop and service. Ended up with a pair of brooks gts19 after the gait analysis (running is cheap my arse).

Associate
Great day today in London at the Vitality 10,000

Recorded my fastest 10K 46:14

I have just recently started weekly track sessions to help increase my pace after concentrating on marathons over the winter/spring. It seems to be helping.

Soldato
Great work guys. I forced myself out yesterday despite spending Saturday at a festival and still feeling the effects. Not just from the booze but also spending ~8hrs stood and jumping around like a kid which i've not done for a long, long time!

Could definitely tell the difference from when i did 5 miles on Friday when i felt good!

I'm looking at ramping the distance up. Want to get up to half marathon distance again by the end of June (ideally sooner). I presume the usual tactic of not increasing too much too soon doesn't really apply when it's only 6 weeks or so since i did a marathon (i've not done over 5 miles since then) and that i'm fine just running as long as my lungs/legs feel they're able to.

Soldato
Great work guys. I forced myself out yesterday despite spending Saturday at a festival and still feeling the effects. Not just from the booze but also spending ~8hrs stood and jumping around like a kid which I've not done for a long, long time!

Could definitely tell the difference from when I did 5 miles on Friday when I felt good!

I'm looking at ramping the distance up. Want to get up to half marathon distance again by the end of June (ideally sooner). I presume the usual tactic of not increasing too much too soon doesn't really apply when it's only 6 weeks or so since I did a marathon (I've not done over 5 miles since then) and that I'm fine just running as long as my lungs/legs feel they're able to.

What about trying to increase it to about a 10 miler over a long run in prep for the Half?

Soldato
Yeah think thats the plan. My half is booked in for the 18th July so plenty time yet.

I'm off to Corfu the first week of July so would like to be doing 2x 10 mile runs a week around the last week of June. Then try and get a couple in in Corfu assuming i wake up early enough and don't just live on beer for the week :p

Then get back around the 5th and i've got around 2 weeks to do a few more long runs and just be a lot more comfortable running that distance to hopefully allow myself to push on a little more on the day.

Soldato
Anyone interested in the new running shoes Mo Farah pimping amongst others the Nike Zoomx Vaporfly NEXT%?

https://www.nike.com/gb/en_gb/c/running/vaporfly

Reviews I have read so far seems it reduced average mile time down by 1 minute 30, has a lot of cushioning etc. Currently not available to purchase in the UK yet though and no date available from what I have seen.

Although the longetivity is what I worry about with the Nike shoes the 4% flyknit only lasted 98K for many! (Which is shocking for a £200 running shoes!)

Soldato
I struggle to understand how any shoes alone could reduce average miles by 90 seconds.

Also i assume you mean 98km? 98k (98,000) is a lot of running!

Although i suppose if it reduced times that much then it's well worth the cost. If it got me from around 9:30 to 8:30 i'd definitely try out a few pairs.

Soldato
It's an interesting point, that if you can return more of the strike energy it must improve your efficiency ? ... so is there some point where they could ban some new design.

Soldato
I struggle to understand how any shoes alone could reduce average miles by 90 seconds.

Also i assume you mean 98km? 98k (98,000) is a lot of running!

Although i suppose if it reduced times that much then it's well worth the cost. If it got me from around 9:30 to 8:30 i'd definitely try out a few pairs.

98km yes not a lot of running for £200 shoes especially if you run 100 miles a month like myself. Although granted I guess it is more aimed at a race day shoe depends what you are after.

"Our research suggests that the energy savings of the first Vaporfly came from two things, the foam in the midsole and the carbon fiber plate sandwiched inside," says Wouter Hoogkamer, a biomechanist in the Locomotion Laboratory at the University of Colorado Boulder.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-science-behind-nikes-new-vaporfly-next-marathon-shoe/

Soldato
Yeah that's a good point.

I get 50% off at Runners Need so if they offer them i might pick up a pair out of interest. I'm quite slow so i theory i should be at the better end of the time saving so it'd be very interesting to try out. If true it'd certainly make my short term goals quite easy!

Soldato

Also, I assume you mean 98km? 98k (98,000) is a lot of running!

Although I suppose if it reduced times that much then it's well worth the cost. If it got me from around 9:30 to 8:30 I'd definitely try out a few pairs.

I'd only get a month out of those I think! Currently at 275km on my current pair of shoes and I only got those around the beginning of March.

Back
Top Bottom