What have you done to your car today?

Man of Honour
Another 12 months MOT for the MX5 ready to put it up for sale, followed by a phone call from VW to inform me they're giving my wallet even more of a beating and the Jetta needs a Dual Mass flywheel as well as the clutch.

Thinking about it logically, the odd behaviour I was getting could have been entirely down to the flywheel alone, but while the gearbox is out I might as well have both done considering the mileage I'm piling on it

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Not to the car exactly, but the key. Since my original key had been dropped countless times and was dented/scratched/scuffed, I bought a replacement shell and BMW badge then gutswapped it. The BMW badge sticker isn't perfect, but it's still better than the old one was:

keys.jpg

Looks like BMW went the cheap eBay emblem route for the badges on the later fobs as that's just painted aluminium like the £2 stickers off eBay by the looks of it. The old keyfob stickers were vinyl topped with a soft clear dome. The keys were also fully sealed so weather proof, not sure if those ones are?

Soldato
Aye that's why the old key was a pain to open up. I did actually put some sealant around the edges of the key casing before putting it back together for that exact reason, so it should be alright. In all honesty though, I can't think of a situation where my key would get exposed to enough water to cause a problem anyway. Though now I've said that I'll probably drop it in puddles and stuff repeatedly.

Caporegime
The best BMW keys are the ones like mine. Just a bit of metal. :D
I did also have one which had a torch built in with a little button, but it fell apart :(

Aye that's why the old key was a pain to open up. I did actually put some sealant around the edges of the key casing before putting it back together for that exact reason, so it should be alright. In all honesty though, I can't think of a situation where my key would get exposed to enough water to cause a problem anyway. Though now I've said that I'll probably drop it in puddles and stuff repeatedly.

I guess the most common incident would be if you accidentally put it through the wash.

Soldato
I always put my key out the way when I get home due to the fact that the boot release button is annoyingly easy to press when in my pocket for some reason - I've gone out to my car on more than one occasion to find the boot lid fully open. But never say never and all that :) Hopefully the sealant I put in there would do the trick if need be.

Man of Honour
Mx5 for sale? What's replacing it?

Nothing for the moment.

With the long commute and the hassle of switching cars around as I haven't got enough space to store both at home it's sapped more or less all of the enjoyment out of it.

Keeping it to do Curborough and Santa Pod a couple of times a year seems daft as it's the best part of £1000 a year before it even moves.

Once we move and I've got a garage I'll buy something to replace it that I can go full potatoe with that doesn't have to be road legal

Man of Honour
How much you thinking of selling the Mazbo for? :p
I shouldn't tempt you but...

£4000-5000

I know it's not great cosmetically but it is now a genuinely rust free car, and the setup is well proven. 230ish hp on pump fuel pour some methanol in the tank without any thought as the ECU/flex fuel setup handles it for you and enjoy 280hp at 20% mix and I think it should just about touch 300hp at 70%

Back
Top Bottom