Gearing Advice Needed, Please.

Associate
I've got the first bike on the list below and I'm interested in bikes 2 or 3 (bike 4 as another option).
Due to my lack of knowledge, I'm wondering if the loss of the 26t chainring on a possible bike upgrade would make it very difficult when cycling up steep hills or is it nothing to worry about?
I do use the lower gears a lot on the steep hills. I suppose I could "practice" without using the 26t ring to get a better idea.

Voodoo Marasa
Weight 13.2kg
Cassette 11-32
Chainset 48-36-26

Canyon Grail AL 7.0
Weight 9.4 kg
Cassette 11-34
Chainset 50-34

Cannondale Topstone 105
Weight 7 to 10 kg, depending on the source
Cassette 11-34
Chainset 46-30

Cannondale Topstone Apex
Weight 10.2 kg
Cassette 11-42
Chainset 40

Thank you.

Soldato
When you factor the bike weight is lower than your current bike with the bikes you are looking at, the gearing of say the Canyon Grail should get you up most things. For instance, I'm a fat **** at 94kgs and with the same gearing as the grail, I can get up a 20% hill (not very long) with my steel touring bike fully laden with my bike packing bags so I don't really see its much of an issue, unless you ride lots of insane mountains

Associate
OP
When you factor the bike weight is lower than your current bike with the bikes you are looking at, the gearing of say the Canyon Grail should get you up most things. For instance, I'm a fat **** at 94kgs and with the same gearing as the grail, I can get up a 20% hill (not very long) with my steel touring bike fully laden with my bike packing bags so I don't really see its much of an issue, unless you ride lots of insane mountains
Thank you very much, that's great news :)

Soldato
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html should give you an idea of the "gear inches" you use on the Marasa to get up the steepest inclines you climb.

For example, 26/28 (front/rear) on the Marasa is ~25.2 gear inches, 34/34 on the Grail is ~26.4 gear inches... So very roughly the equivalent of 26/27 on the Marasa.

My local "wall" (Dell Rd in Midanbury SO18) hits ~20%, I have no probs getting up it in 34/32 on my road bike (~8.5Kg), but on my Voodoo Wazoo fatbike (typically with road wheels on, ~12Kg?) which has 11-30 cassette and 24/38 chainrings I would typically use something like 24/23 (3rd easiest gear) for a non-PB chasing effort on either bike.

Associate
OP
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html should give you an idea of the "gear inches" you use on the Marasa to get up the steepest inclines you climb.

For example, 26/28 (front/rear) on the Marasa is ~25.2 gear inches, 34/34 on the Grail is ~26.4 gear inches... So very roughly the equivalent of 26/27 on the Marasa.

My local "wall" (Dell Rd in Midanbury SO18) hits ~20%, I have no probs getting up it in 34/32 on my road bike (~8.5Kg), but on my Voodoo Wazoo fatbike (typically with road wheels on, ~12Kg?) which has 11-30 cassette and 24/38 chainrings I would typically use something like 24/23 (3rd easiest gear) for a non-PB chasing effort on either bike.
That's awesome, thank you very much for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom