• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Purple Screen HDR

Associate
Hi,

I've recently added a GeForce 1030 to my HTPC and have noticed when I try to playback any 4k HDR BluRay my screen turns purple until the pc is restarted.

I know it is not my tv as I borrowed ShieldTv and all was ok. All non HDR content is work ok except for the likes of youtube where there is some screen tearing (only happens with youtube in Firefox)

Have also tried multiple media players and also MPC with MadVR all with the same results

Any ideas please?

HTPC
i5 2500k
GeForce 1030
Hisense 55U7A (connected to 4k 60FPS port)
I'm using the latest Nvidia drives, windows 10 & all software are fully up to date.

Associate
OP
Soldato
60-100% load doesn't sound right. I just tried a 4K HDR file and my 1050Ti is using about 24%.

As for cables, if you want to guarantee HDR then look for Premium Certified Cables HDMI. Other cables may work but these are the only ones which are certified and guaranteed to work with HDR. Check out the river store.

I am guessing you are ok on the cable front as you mentioned you used a shield and it worked fine, plus it wouldn't explain the high gpu load.

Associate
OP
60-100% load doesn't sound right. I just tried a 4K HDR file and my 1050Ti is using about 24%.

As for cables, if you want to guarantee HDR then look for Premium Certified Cables HDMI. Other cables may work but these are the only ones which are certified and guaranteed to work with HDR. Check out the river store.

I am guessing you are ok on the cable front as you mentioned you used a shield and it worked fine, plus it wouldn't explain the high gpu load.

cheers for checking,

Have been messing around with refresh rates and 4K@30Hz will playback HDR ok just the pic is a bit jumpy ... 1080p @60Hz will playback HDR no problems.

Current GPU load is around mid 40% (4k @30Hz) ... I dont have another gpu capable of 4k@60Hz so may order a 1050ti for testing (knew I should have gone for the 1050 in the first place)

HDMI cable, 1 is I beleive from my xbox one x and the other is off Amazon
"IBRA HDMI Cable 2M High Speed PRO GOLD HDMI Cable v2.0/1.4a 3D 2160p PS4 SKY HD 4K@60Hz Ultra HD Ethernet Audio Return Virgin BT RED"

Have just tried setting prefered resolutions in MadVr but same purple screen

Associate
OP
Think I may of found the issue,

4k@30Hz the Colour Format is set to RGB (same as MadVr)
4k@60Hz changes the colour format to YCbCr420 and is the only colour format available.

I've looked in the Nvidia control Panel and can not see no option to set RGB as prefered colour format only YCbCr420 .. anyway of changing this to RGB?

Soldato
If you are playing movies you really want to be outputting 24hz as this is what they are filmed at. This will make the playback smooth and get rid of the stuttering/jerking.

I don't have to set anything for RGB on my set up. 4K HDR needs a fair bit of bandwidth and windows should be auto switching to 4:2:0 RGB when a HDR signal is detected as it can not handle HDR 4K 4:4:4.

Are all your outputs on your 1030 HDMI 2.0? Or are any 1.4?

As for your cable I really cant say if its working correctly as I tried a few non certified cables and had issues with HDR due to the extra bandwidth it carries at 4k. 4K was fine on non certified cables, I just ran into issues when HDR kicked in. The only ones which worked flawlessly for me were the Premium Certified cables.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiumcable/Premium_HDMI_Cable_Certification_Program.aspx

Look for the logo to confirm it is certified.

EDIT: Are you using MPC-BE? You should be using this player with Mad VR.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/

Last edited:
Associate
For 4K 60hz HDR I'm sure YCbCr is the only option. I only ever experienced a purple screen like that when using a low bandwidth HDMI lead that couldn't output 60hz at 4K, but yours sounds like it should be capable.

Associate
Think I may of found the issue,

4k@30Hz the Colour Format is set to RGB (same as MadVr)
4k@60Hz changes the colour format to YCbCr420 and is the only colour format available.

I've looked in the Nvidia control Panel and can not see no option to set RGB as prefered colour format only YCbCr420 .. anyway of changing this to RGB?
Check settings on your TV.
On my LG for 4k@60 and RGB to be available I have to enable "HDMI deep colour" for the input I'm using within TV settings menu.
RGB is only available for 8 bit colours at 4k60 so for HDR you will have to set your Nvidia control panel to YCbCr 12bit and 4:2:0 as both 10bit and 4:2:2 are broken for Nvidia card and don't work at all or will give you terrible colour banding .

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you are playing movies you really want to be outputting 24hz as this is what they are filmed at. This will make the playback smooth and get rid of the stuttering/jerking.

I don't have to set anything for RGB on my set up. 4K HDR needs a fair bit of bandwidth and windows should be auto switching to 4:2:0 RGB when a HDR signal is detected as it can not handle HDR 4K 4:4:4.

Are all your outputs on your 1030 HDMI 2.0? Or are any 1.4?

As for your cable I really cant say if its working correctly as I tried a few non certified cables and had issues with HDR due to the extra bandwidth it carries at 4k. 4K was fine on non certified cables, I just ran into issues when HDR kicked in. The only ones which worked flawlessly for me were the Premium Certified cables.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiumcable/Premium_HDMI_Cable_Certification_Program.aspx

Look for the logo to confirm it is certified.

EDIT: Are you using MPC-BE? You should be using this player with Mad VR.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/

Only a single HDMI port and is 2.0b HDCP 2.2 (Max Res 7680x4320@60Hz)

Have a box of HDMI cables so will try a few of them if not I'll drop my brother a message to borrow his HDMI cable as that is a certified cable.

I am using the latest MPC-BE, tried both 32&64 bit.

I'll try outputting 24Hz on my tv,

@z10m
I've checked the settings on the tv and can not see anything that needs to be enabled for outputting 60Hz, the manual only says HDMI ports 1 & 2 will output 4k@60Hz all other ports are 30hz.

Graphics card is:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-19b-gi.html

I'll take another look, cheers for the help.

Associate
In the Nvidia control panel go to resolution and make sure that the output colour depth is 10 bpc then change the output colour format to 422. If it's still purple then your cable may be at fault.

Associate
In the Nvidia control panel go to resolution and make sure that the output colour depth is 10 bpc then change the output colour format to 422. If it's still purple then your cable may be at fault.
This combination doesn't work at all or creates awful colour banding on Nvidia 9 and 10 series (not sure about 20 series.).
The best colours you get with 12bit and 4:2:0 when displaying HDR content...
or at least that's how it is on my LG TV

Associate
OP
Let us know how you get on. :)

I'm such a nugget, tried 5 different cables, tried a different PCIe slot and still purple, in the end I gave up and ordered a 1050ti & 3 different HDMI cables from the rainforest for delivery tomorow (now canceled)

Thinking more of z10m's comment, I went back to the user manual and could'nt find anything in relation to his comment so tried a few settings on the tv and bingo there is a setting called "HDMI 2.0 Format" switched this and now working perfectly ... I guess my 10 year old HTPC lives on :D

Have set Emby up with MPC as an external player with the settings you provided Razor Time :cool:

Anyone with a 55U7A, the settings is System - HDMI & CEC Functions - HDMI 2.0 Format - switch to Enhanced Format.

thanks all for the help

Associate
This combination doesn't work at all or creates awful colour banding on Nvidia 9 and 10 series (not sure about 20 series.).
The best colours you get with 12bit and 4:2:0 when displaying HDR content...
or at least that's how it is on my LG TV
Not on my Sony XF90 with a RTX 2070. I don't get banding with this combination so maybe it's an issue with OLED.

Back
Top Bottom