Poll: Monaco Grand Prix 2019, Monte Carlo - Race 6/21

Rate the 2019 Monaco Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
It’d be much better if Monaco was a time trial affair, made up from multiple races.

I watched the highlights on C4 and even that was tedious, the only exciting bit was the first corner and Leclerc’s overtaking.

Soldato
I voted a 6 because I vote the races in a bubble. In terms of a Monaco GP it wasn't the worst I've seen and had a few interesting moments plus a few good results for other drivers. Sainz first lap was great and it was fun watching Charles double down on his awful weekend.

I wont miss it if it goes though.

Soldato
2/10 for me only not a 1 due to leclerc making it mildly entertaining for 5 mins with safety car and verstappen in pit lanes. Hamilton making drama up front about he was going to struggle was irritating, he was controlling the pace and whilst it was uncomfortable it was hardly the hardest race of his career. Grosjean managed something like 40 laps on the softest compound and that was in traffic and pushing for the most part. Ric came in on the same lap as Hamilton and put on the mediums and was stuck in traffic for 30 laps and still managed to lap 1.5 seconds quicker than everyone at the end of the race.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/48428176

Article has it right this was nowhere near senna/mansel, the fact Hamilton thinks this was the hardest race of his career is a ringing indictment on the shambolic state of f1 atm. Monaco has been redundant in F1 for a long time it needs to be cut.

Last season was at least mildly entertaining, the rules tweak for 2019 seems to have given merc their advantage back and this season is shaping up to be the dullest yet. Not holding much hope for 2021.

Soldato
For everyone saying Hamilton was moaning too much. You should have a problem with FOM and not Hamilton/Mercedes. FOM have done the same to Grosjean in the past only putting out his whining giving the impression that's all he does.

Someone went through the effort to do his entire race of communications in one video. If you just watched the race you'd think he was moaning every 2 seconds about the tires when in reality it wasn't that bad. He was mroe irate about the blue flags yet they didn't get shown on the race once.

People need to remember drivers are talking to their teams. Not really worrying if those at home are annoyed by their whinging whilst they're going 100mph+ around a narrow track with no run off.

Soldato
That is a bit like saying that watching this particular patch of paint dry wasn’t as boring as it could have been!
But that is exactly what Monaco is! We always know it's going to be dull and the fun stuff is on the Saturday but I was unable to look away on Sunday even though I knew after T1 not much would change. I'll go one further and say I even enjoyed it more than the other processional race, Spain. At least in Monaco there is the ever present danger of barriers. I still think it needs to go though

Disclaimer: I was quite hungover this Sunday.

Soldato
For all we moan about it we know Monaco is never going to go away. There's too much money in it for everyone involved, the FIA, the teams, the sponsors, and for it to simply vanish would leave a big financial hole. I agree the racing isn't great, but the bigger picture is about keeping those paying the bills happy.

Soldato
I hope Monaco will go away, and one day it will - nothing is forever. F1 is an entertainment sport, and the race is the product. There's no race at Monaco.

Barclays used to sponsor the Premier League, but you didn't see them flex their muscles by insisting that one game a season was played in a bank car park..!

Anyway, we all know the problems and broadly agree with them - where we differ it what should be done about it. I reserve my right to royally moan about Monaco, and hasten it's removal from the calendar. Because I like to watch racing.

Caporegime
I hope Monaco will go away, and one day it will - nothing is forever. F1 is an entertainment sport, and the race is the product. There's no race at Monaco.

Barclays used to sponsor the Premier League, but you didn't see them flex their muscles by insisting that one game a season was played in a bank car park..!

Anyway, we all know the problems and broadly agree with them - where we differ it what should be done about it. I reserve my right to royally moan about Monaco, and hasten it's removal from the calendar. Because I like to watch racing.

You will get quite a few of the teams and many of the drivers complain bitterly if Monaco is taken off the calendar.

Yes I agree, and yes drivers agree it can be a little frustrating when stuck behind someone, but with a clear track there is no other track in the wold that the drivers find more exhilarating and exciting, that I can guarantee, and that feeling is worth all the hassles.

For teams the atmosphere and history again outweigh any minor frustrations. The circuit provides some challenges to setup that no others do, so it is always a huge sense of achievement if you get your car running well there more so than at many other circuits.

It cannot ever be all about what spectators want.

Soldato
I voted a 6 because I vote the races in a bubble
Exactly. It shouldn't be compared to other circuits.

It seems people either have low expectations of 'excitement' or have very short memories...
You're assuming they are rating it against other circuits like you are. Perhaps (like myself and obviously JunglistE) they rating it in it's own right and against previous races there and there only.

Associate
For all we moan about it we know Monaco is never going to go away. There's too much money in it for everyone involved, the FIA, the teams, the sponsors, and for it to simply vanish would leave a big financial hole. I agree the racing isn't great, but the bigger picture is about keeping those paying the bills happy.

Agree, I cannot see Monaco ever being dropped from the calendar, the only reason would at a guess, be on safety grounds.

Personally F1 without Monte Carlo is akin to F1 with no Ferrari.

Back
Top Bottom