• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
I just realise that AMD are trolling us. There is no way in hell 3700 can become 3800 with 100MHz and 60-65% TDP increase.
They must fix their crass lineup before it's too late.

Compare with the Ryzen 1000 and 2000 lineup initial pricing, nowhere near as bad as the presented 3000 pricing.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-x470-review-out-beats-i7-8700k-in-7-10-game-tests/
https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x-1700/

You need to read these specifications in the same way you would Intel https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i9-processors/i9-9900k.html

9900K: 3.6Ghz base and 5Ghz boost.

No where in any of Intel's gumph does it say that the all core boost is 4.7Ghz, unless you're on a crap Motherboard or crappy cooling they run at 4.7Ghz all core..
Ryzen 3000 and 2000 for that matter is the same, The 2700X has a base clock of 3.7Ghz, 4.35Ghz turbo, no where does it say that the all core boost is 4.0Ghz to 4.1Ghz, that's XFR.

Ryzen 3000 will be exactly the same, 3700X base clock of 3.5Ghz with a 4.4Ghz boost, 3800X 3.6Ghz to 4.5Ghz, the difference in TDP is how high XFR boosts all cores, on the 65 Watt 3700X it might only be 3.9Ghz to 4.0Ghz, on the 105 Watt 3800X it could be as high as 4.3Ghz, the turbo number is single core speed.

Permabanned
Another probability, and I hope the real one is that AMD intentionally make the 105W 8-core part unsellable, in order to force upon the 65W 8-core part more of the sales.
Maybe they analysed the figures that the 2700X sold better than 2700.

Soldato
Another probability, and I hope the real one is that AMD intentionally make the 105W 8-core part unsellable, in order to force upon the 65W 8-core part more of the sales.

Anecdote, but with my friends, and colleagues that upgraded from Nehalem/Sandy-bridge or Bulldozer/Phenom; they all went for the 2700X over the 2700. Mostly because they can't be bothered by manual overclocking, just rely on XFR, and get a cooler that's more than capable of cooling it under stress loads; and it wasn't that much more.

Between the 3700X and 3800X, the only difference here is the base-clock, and XFR most likely. Will be interesting to see which both boost to on their own before people can clock it.

Caporegime

Who knows but i don't like the way AMD muddied the naming scheme..

None X = 65 Watt TDP lower boost and fixed clock, X models with the same numbered naming have the same number of cores with higher TDP with higher boosts and fixed clocks. Nice and simple.
2600 6 cores 65 Watt low clocks and XFR, 2600X also 6 cores with higher clocks and XFR boost, so higher 95 Watt TDP, the 2700 / 2700X exactly the same, 65 Watt TDP vs 105 Watt just higher clocks...

Now the 3700X is a 3800X with a lower TDP, it just messes with my OCD that i don't have. yet maybe do now.....

Soldato
Fingers crossed there are reviews or at least some decent performance leaks of both the CPUs and motherboards prior to launch, I don't want to have to choose between the chips purely based on benchmarks that AMD are feeding us. Also, I wonder if we'll get pre-orders for this. Am I right in remembering that there were pre-orders for Zen+ about a week prior to launch?

Associate
Very much wondering if my x370 Taichi will handle the 8 core well enough. I have no need for PCI 4 (does anyone, atm?) and everyone said the Taichi had some of the best VRMs going, at the time. I believe it will come down to the memory overclocking, where I expect the new boards to have an advantage. Obviously this will depend on how important memory clocks will be on the 3rd gen.

The benchmarker's are going to have one hell of a busy schedule over the coming month or two :D

Things I would like to see:

Obviously how well they all overclock
breakdowns of the CPU catagories i.e. how latency affects games, how much difference memory overclocks will have, power draw, voltages, etc.
Comparisons on performance once all the security patches are installed (Intel's patch is supposed to be released on the 8th July, would you believe)
How well the previous gen boards will handle the new chips and general motherboard reviews (I really feel sorry for them here. Given his normal procedures, Steve from Hardware unboxed is going to have a few long nights).

Just to name a few things :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
THink i am going to go for the 3900X and Gigabyte Extreme. Hoping for some pre order ofgfers or bundlkes like we saw with Radeon 7 if not i may wait till after the summer.

Soldato
Think i will wait till September, I got my 1800X in the first week and it turned out the first batch had a bug so mine has it. It's never been a problem as its been rock solid but it's there. Also, AMD seem to drop the price more than Intel.

Permabanned
The maximum boost clock is 100 MHz different. The sustained all-core boost is likely very different, maybe 3.8 GHz to 4.3 GHz or something.

The base clock is 0.1 GHz different, too. The boosts depend on your current state of the cooling, single/dual-channel memory, ambient temperature and you can always offset by manually OCing the cheaper CPU. There is no need to pay 70$ for virtually nothing.

Soldato
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1441...-formula?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

IMG_20190527_141252.jpg

Back
Top Bottom