• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Cinebench is a very good (and fair) indication of CPU performance. A gaming benchmark can depend on who sponsered the game. The industry needs a 100% unbiased test that doesn't suffer from being poorly optimised.

Correct, if the game is developed in a game engine running on an Intel CPU and the dev doesn't pick up AMD's Ryzen Data sheets and makes the necessary adjustments to the game code then yes it will run better on Intel.

That doesn't mean Intel has inherently better gaming performance, they don't, they really don't, and before you think it, games these days are optimised for AMD as well as Intel, since that's what's in all the game consoles.

Soldato
CPU makers sponsoring games is that speculation or factual? thats news to me, but obviously you assess on a wide spread of games not just one game.

As I said tho the flaw with cinebench is it is not a gaming load, its a way too simplistic point of view to think that there is only one type of task a cpu does.

In gaming you decode not encode, you load assets into memory, you may have physics to manage, AI amongst other things, and of course in the vast majority of games cpu cores are not fully pegged at 100% which is the case with cinebench.

cinebench will typically at the very least (a) grossly over score the affects of logical cores due to the type of workload and (b) under score AMD chips because the clocks run lower in cinebech vs a typical game.

Caporegime
Its really not.

cinebench fully loads all cores including logical.

98% of games do not.

So different types of workloads based on that alone.

This is even more apparent for AMD as XFR will adjust clock speeds based on temperatures and power load, if you fully loading all cores the clock speeds will be lower, so cinebench pushes out different clocks on AMD chips vs what typical games do.

E.g. on my 2600x it clocks up to 4.15-4.25 ghz on every game I thrown at it, but is 4.05ghz in cinebench.

If you want to use Cinebench to gauge gaming performance you don't use the MT. You use Single core. Then some common sense applied to the CPU you're testing.

Cinebench is an FP heavy benchmark, which is what gaming is.

No coincidence that AMD Bulldozer had a crap Single Core cinebench result and then its gaming performance was crap too.

Soldato
If you want to use Cinebench to gauge gaming performance you don't use the MT. You use Single core. Then some common sense applied to the CPU you're testing.
Definitely true. It has been the case for a while now and stands up pretty well as a metric for gaming performance and a few other things that can be mainly single thread orientated like most aspects of photo editing.

Soldato
Correct, if the game is developed in a game engine running on an Intel CPU and the dev doesn't pick up AMD's Ryzen Data sheets and makes the necessary adjustments to the game code then yes it will run better on Intel.

That doesn't mean Intel has inherently better gaming performance, they don't, they really don't, and before you think it, games these days are optimised for AMD as well as Intel, since that's what's in all the game consoles.

well it does if thats the game you play.

There is probably no such thing as generic gaming performance. When taking this into consideration, its about getting the best cpu for the specific games you want to play, no one single benchmark took isnt going to give you the answer to that especially when its not even a gaming bench tool.

cinebench is popular because its free and its very quick, its way quicker to do a cinebench run than to fire up a bunch of games and start analysing cpu data. Also most reviewers now days arent just assessing gaming performance, they media creators so they include media creation, when that is taken into consideration using cinebench is fine as "part of a pool of tests", so I am not against using cinebench at all, I just think its bad to use it to gauge gaming performance, but is ok as an indicator of where a cpu is at on a IPC level.

Caporegime
CPU makers sponsoring games is that speculation or factual? thats news to me, but obviously you assess on a wide spread of games not just one game.

As I said tho the flaw with cinebench is it is not a gaming load, its a way too simplistic point of view to think that there is only one type of task a cpu does.

In gaming you decode not encode, you load assets into memory, you may have physics to manage, AI amongst other things, and of course in the vast majority of games cpu cores are not fully pegged at 100% which is the case with cinebench.

cinebench will typically at the very least (a) grossly over score the affects of logical cores due to the type of workload and (b) under score AMD chips because the clocks run lower in cinebech vs a typical game.

In games you call draws, what's that over there, what does it do, where does it go in a 3D world and how does the lighting effect it? this isn't any different to what rendering out a 2 or 3D scene in the sense that it uses FP match to do it.

Caporegime
In games you call draws, what's that over there, what does it do, where does it go in a 3D world and how does the lighting effect it? this isn't any different to what rendering out a 2 or 3D scene in the sense that it uses FP match to do it.

Let me put it this way, in a game with an over stressed CPU what you will see is game assets or shading popping in late, so you turn and instead of that tree already being there it might take half a second before it pops in, you see it happen when you shouldn't if the CPU had the head room in Cycle time to think what to do with it much faster.

Soldato
Let me put it this way, in a game with an over stressed CPU what you will see is game assets or shading popping in late, so you turn and instead of that tree already being there it might take half a second before it pops in, you see it happen when you shouldn't if the CPU had the head room in Cycle time to think what to do with it much faster.

Except for games made by Bohemia Interactive.. Arma and DayZ etc ;)

Associate
A bit disappointing really I remember on here some bloke was saying you will get the same performance as a 9900k for 175 Quid yeah course you will mate lol.

Soldato
I don't know why more of them haven't gone with passive heatsinks like the Auros Extreme. A heatsink just needs a dusting, fans break, fans get noisy as the bearings wear. They are going to be repairing a lot of expensive motherboards for a noisy bearing that cost a few pence.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know why more of them haven't gone with passive heatsinks like the Auros Extreme. A heatsink just needs a dusting, fans break, fans get noisy as they bearings wear. They are going to be repairing a lot of expensive motherboards for a noisy bearing that cost a few pence.
Indeed. Nobody I know is too enthralled with returning to the days of fans on motherboard chipsets.

Associate
Intel 6 core? none K, so no overclocking, and still only 6 threads, i'm sorry but my £160 1600 is faster.
Im on about AMD 6 and 8 core. the 1600 in april 2017 was £200 new and a great buy. I went for the 1700 because I figured there wasn't going to be much improvement without significant cost in the future for an upgrade.

I have no idea why you thought I was talking about intel

Soldato
cooling on the Xtreme is fine without fans .

can see why all vendors were forced to add small fans that push less are then a GPU and case fans would over it - fear of anything going wrong .

I cant see many gamers here setting up raid pcie 4.0 m.2s.... maybe in the future , but still dont see it

OC3D free to do VRM thermal testing again? went quite with z390 :(

That's up to OC3D. Plenty of thermal imaging data provided, too.

Back
Top Bottom